Milner to Liverpool?

Guest Coubury

Guest Coubury
Liverpool to swoop for £10m winger

Rafa Benitez could swoop for Newcastle United winger James Milner once Andrea Dossena's £7m move to Liverpool is confirmed, according to reports.

The Sun newspapers claims that the Udinese left-back has agreed terms with the Reds and will join next week after he completes a medical at Anfield.

Once that deal is done, Liverpool will turn to £10m Milner after ruling Daniel Alves and David Bentley as too expensive.

Meanwhile, Germany legend Lothar Matthaus has tipped Spain striker Fernando Torres to be one of the brightest stars at the upcoming European Championships.

Although he has scored just once for Spain since 2006 and looked out-of-sorts during this week's friendlies against Peru and the United States - albeit while not in full health - Torres is going to be a man to watch at Euro 2008, according to Matthaus.

The former FIFA World Player of the Year, who captained West Germany to World Cup success in 1990 and also won Euro 80, said of the Liverpool striker: "He is a man who has dislodged a popular hero like Real Madrid's Raul and scored goals at will with Atletico and Liverpool, despite the burden of a 35million euros transfer fee.

"A lad like that must have class. It is very hard to be better than Raul. Torres is that.

"He is a player like Stuttgart's Mario Gomez, only more effective. The blond Spaniard is very strong in the air, makes effective runs, turns in an instant, has a fantastic shooting technique and is also dangerous with his left foot.

"He can become a superstar at the European Championships."

Matthaus was less enthusiastic about prolific Dutchman Ruud van Nistelrooy though, despite the Real Madrid striker's impressive scoring record down the years.

"I cannot claim to be a fan of Ruud van Nistelrooy. He has scored goals at will with Real Madrid because he is a poacher, using all kinds of tricks, holding, pulling, falling and talking - whether it be with the opponent or the referee," Matthaus said in Sport Bild.

"You can tell why I don't like him so much."

However, Matthaus does believe Van Nistelrooy could benefit from missing a large chunk of Madrid's season run-in after undergoing an ankle operation.

"Van Nistelrooy has the advantage of being out for three months with an ankle injury and this break allows him to come into the tournament refreshed," Matthaus added.

"That was the same with me at the 1990 World Cup. I was injured for almost six months while at Internazionale and the break did me good - we became world champions."

10 Million?  ;D Id take no 5 no problem lol

Liverpool to swoop for £10m winger

Rafa Benitez could swoop for Newcastle United winger James Milner once Andrea Dossena's £7m move to Liverpool is confirmed, according to reports.

The Sun newspapers claims that the Udinese left-back has agreed terms with the Reds and will join next week after he completes a medical at Anfield.

Once that deal is done, Liverpool will turn to £10m Milner after ruling Daniel Alves and David Bentley as too expensive.

Meanwhile, Germany legend Lothar Matthaus has tipped Spain striker Fernando Torres to be one of the brightest stars at the upcoming European Championships.

Although he has scored just once for Spain since 2006 and looked out-of-sorts during this week's friendlies against Peru and the United States - albeit while not in full health - Torres is going to be a man to watch at Euro 2008, according to Matthaus.

The former FIFA World Player of the Year, who captained West Germany to World Cup success in 1990 and also won Euro 80, said of the Liverpool striker: "He is a man who has dislodged a popular hero like Real Madrid's Raul and scored goals at will with Atletico and Liverpool, despite the burden of a 35million euros transfer fee.

"A lad like that must have class. It is very hard to be better than Raul. Torres is that.

"He is a player like Stuttgart's Mario Gomez, only more effective. The blond Spaniard is very strong in the air, makes effective runs, turns in an instant, has a fantastic shooting technique and is also dangerous with his left foot.

"He can become a superstar at the European Championships."

Matthaus was less enthusiastic about prolific Dutchman Ruud van Nistelrooy though, despite the Real Madrid striker's impressive scoring record down the years.

"I cannot claim to be a fan of Ruud van Nistelrooy. He has scored goals at will with Real Madrid because he is a poacher, using all kinds of tricks, holding, pulling, falling and talking - whether it be with the opponent or the referee," Matthaus said in Sport Bild.

"You can tell why I don't like him so much."

However, Matthaus does believe Van Nistelrooy could benefit from missing a large chunk of Madrid's season run-in after undergoing an ankle operation.

"Van Nistelrooy has the advantage of being out for three months with an ankle injury and this break allows him to come into the tournament refreshed," Matthaus added.

"That was the same with me at the 1990 World Cup. I was injured for almost six months while at Internazionale and the break did me good - we became world champions."

10 Million?  ;D Id take no 5 no problem lol

Source?

Thats a tough one, he is a cracking young player and a real good lad but thats a good price and if KK is planning on sticking with the 4-3-3 then Milner does not really fit into that kind of formation, if we can get SWP for around that price then maybe we should consider it, SWP is much more suited to a 4-3-3.

Guest Coubury

Would hardly call Milner our best player

Id be more than happy for him to be replaced this summer

he cant cross ffs

Briefly he shows some class

If its true he has been offered £300grand per week then thats why he is going, got fk all to do with anything else..

L'Oreal. Because Milner's worth it.

I know you mean Cristiano btw. :lol:

If its true he has been offered £300grand per week then thats why he is going, got fk all to do with anything else..

L'Oreal. Because Milner's worth it.

I know you mean Cristiano btw. :lol:

By you were quick with that quote as soon I hit post I thought fk am in the wrong thread :lol: was about Ronaldo..

Guest Darth Toon

Very disappointed if we let Milner leave - think he could do a job either on the right of a midfield 3 or as the man in the Owen role behind the front 2, where his shooting from distance could be very effective.

i like milner. he's got the right attitude, a full 90 minute player who gives it his all every match and doesn't whinge his tits off like n'zogbia, his crossing and corner taking is a fuck of a lot better than geremi's too. we could do with more players like him at the club imho.

We need to be getting players in, not selling our better players like Milner. Ok Ramage, Car and Emre are gone, i'd also Sell Viduka & Smith because i don't rate them at all. Hopefully we don't need the money ffs! Milner is a very good player, versatile, great attitude and rarely injured, we should keep him. If we are playing 433, he can play on the left or right up top or midfield.

This is madness. I'm a pretty optimistic guy but this is too good to be true.

Milner's real value is around £4 million or less.

Lovely guy, lots of effort but a distinctly plain and average footballer.