Paul Ince confirmed as new Blackburn manager

Guest Coubury

A risk but they took one on Hughes and it paid off.

Much greater risk this one IMO.

Indeed. Hughes was proving himself at an international level when he got the Blackburn job, Ince on the other hand has experience only in the lowest league.

Very interesting appointment,would be nice to see him do well!Another ex Manure player with no top flight experience worked out fine last time for them.Fair play to the chairman he could have went with easy option[ Fat Sam]and I think they will reap the awards for it

Indeed. Hughes was proving himself at an international level when he got the Blackburn job, Ince on the other hand has experience only in the lowest league.

Is that sarcasm delivered too subtly, or do you genuinely believe that Hughes' spell with Wales is better preparation for EPL management than Ince's apprenticeship in the lower leagues? Personally, I feel in the lower leagues the practice is similar to the EPL, just that the scale is different, whereas international management involves limited contact with the players which limits just about everything else (ie training, tactics, building relationships in the squad etc)

I think Ince will make a very good manager - and he shares one important distinction with Hughes: both played overseas at the very highest level, exposing them to the methods and philosophies of the best leagues in Europe, which can only be beneficial to the English game...

Is that sarcasm delivered too subtly, or do you genuinely believe that Hughes' spell with Wales is better preparation for EPL management than Ince's apprenticeship in the lower leagues? Personally, I feel in the lower leagues the practice is similar to the EPL, just that the scale is different, whereas international management involves limited contact with the players which limits just about everything else (ie training, tactics, building relationships in the squad etc)

I think Ince will make a very good manager - and he shares one important distinction with Hughes: both played overseas at the very highest level, exposing them to the methods and philosophies of the best leagues in Europe, which can only be beneficial to the English game...

I didn't say it was better, I was just saying it's a different kind of experience. In some ways Ince will come in with the advantage over what Hughes had, in some ways Hughes would have come in with an advantage over Ince. If that makes sense.

I didn't say it was better, I was just saying it's a different kind of experience. In some ways Ince will come in with the advantage over what Hughes had, in some ways Hughes would have come in with an advantage over Ince. If that makes sense.

Makes sense - I was just surprised that both yourself and Dave seemed to think appointing Ince was a bigger risk than Hughes. Personally, I think Hughes was more of a Hail Mary compared to which Ince is almost a safe bet, but I guess time will tell...

I think it's a bigger risk. With Wales Hughes had managed some very good players and some very big egos, and competed against some very good players and teams. Has Ince done any of that? He's not even been above League Two.

I accept your point about the day-to-day contact with players etc however.

Hats off to Blackburn imo. Taking a calculated gamble on a young English manager. They would have taken advice on this, so the feedback must have been very good as many who have issues with Ince (understandably in some cases) will want him to fail.

It's surely just his name that has got him the job? Plenty of managers have done really well in League 2. Happens every season as a matter of fact.

I don't think they just stuck a pin in the first name they recognised.  bluerazz.gif

It's surely just his name that has got him the job? Plenty of managers have done really well in League 2. Happens every season as a matter of fact.

i agree, he's done well, but so have other managers. But sometimes having a manager with a recognisable name can help in the transfer market. Players now are much more likely to know who ince is, than keegan!

Well, i didn't really mean that.

The point i'm making is, every season, there's a manager in League 2 that does well. Obviously. Someone has to win. This season it's Paul Ince so his wanted level is high, cos he's famous for playing for Manu and Liverpool.

The demand for the guy wouldn't be so high if his name was John Smith and he'd played for Gravesend and Scarborough earlier in his career, regardless of managerial success. Just like the bloke who won League 2 the season before. He didn't get a move to the Premiership. Do you get what i mean?

Obviously, this is all cliched and really uneducated - i've not watched MK Dons this season. But it's true. I'm not writing Ince off or anything, he might do well, but this is how he's got the job.

Plus existing Blackburn players will respect Ince because they know that he has done it all at the top level.

Does that stem from managerial ability or having a 'name'? You're proving my point. ;)

Plus existing Blackburn players will respect Ince because they know that he has done it all at the top level.

This would be part of the picture for sure. He speaks his mind and seems to go about things with a lot of belief which is very important especially for a new manager standing in front of highly paid pro's.

Basically, what i'm saying is, i think it's a massive, massive risk - far bigger than people realise. And it's being masked because of who he is.

If Blackburn had appointed Graham Turner, manager of Hereford who did extremely well in League 2 like MK Dons, there'd have been absolute uproar.

I'm pretty chuffed with the appointment from a rivals' point of view.

Basically, what i'm saying is, i think it's a massive, massive risk - far bigger than people realise. And it's being masked because of who he is.

If Blackburn had appointed Graham Turner, manager of Hereford who did extremely well in League 2 like MK Dons, there'd have been absolute uproar.

Why is he such a massive risk may I ask? I grant you he is fairly inexperienced but other than that they must have really liked what they saw.

Yorkie, I think you're missing a few points attendant to Ince being a "big-name". The fact that he has played, very well mind you, for Man U, Internazionale and Liverpool means that he might have picked up a thing or two from those managerial maestros he played under, and how successful clubs are run...

And Dave, as for egos - this is a man who called himself "The Guv'nor" at a club managed by Sir Alex Ferguson. I don't think he's got any problems with big egos :lol:

perhaps the best post i've ever seen on this board, well played dude

In 1984 Aston Villa DID appoint Graham Turner who had done well in the lower leagues. It ended badly.

Think of that, winning the European Cup and two years later you appoint Shrewsbury's manager.

:(