The Shola Ameobi thread

Crumpy Gunt

Somebody said it above: "he's a useful squad player", yes, one that is brought on for ten minutes at the end of a match to launch high balls up to!

I can't believe people trying to make out he was any good on saturday. I haven't seen a lazier football player. The only reason he wins 50% of the headers is that he is a foot higher than the other players.

He only ever muscles other players off the ball about once a game. If he asserted himself we know he can be twice the player, it just seems he can only do this one out of ten games...

No last chances from me.

I don't think Shola is lazy. With that physique of his, he's not going to be the most mobile of players, but he gives 100% and is never afraid of taking responsibility. He saw plenty of the ball on Saturday.

As for 'he only muscles other players off the ball once a game' - I can't understand how you can say that. The one area where I don't think he can be faulted is his strength. Even the best of centre backs now find it difficult to go through him.

Yes, I know he looks even lazier with his languid style or gangling strut, but on Saturday there were numerous occasions when he should have been pressuring defenders and he would just "trot" across and make no effort whatsoever, these were when we had men up and were pushing forward. I don't mind if he is up on his own and if their isn't a formation that would apply pressure but there were a good few times when I was screaming at him to pull his finger out and work.

He has strength but you seldom see him really dominate a defender, the game that you do see it you are left astonished at the player he could be... I'm sorry but I am a hundred percent opposed here.

He realistically only "performs" in around 10-20% of games, it's not good enough. If he had a goal tally that excused him a little of this workload (a la owen...) then perhaps we would be more forgiving? & he misses some absolute sitters... It's becoming a grudge, I know, but if the effort was there we would be much more merciful towards him.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Howaythetoon

Ameobi may have some of the tools required to play football but he has no comprehension OF HOW to play football whatsoever. He has no sense of timing, no sense of movement, no football sense at all. If you want to know why a lot of kids don't make it despite having enough to go to a Premier League academy which means they have some kind of talent, look no further than Ameobi attempting to play football. If you practice and train several hours a day as a kid all the way up to 18 you are going to be able to play with a football but there is a world of difference between being able to play with a ball and being able to play football without a ball which Ameobi simply can't.

Ameobi may have some of the tools required to play football but he has no comprehension OF HOW to play football whatsoever. He has no sense of timing, no sense of movement, no football sense at all. If you want to know why a lot of kids don't make it despite having enough to go to a Premier League academy which means they have some kind of talent, look no further than Ameobi attempting to play football. If you practice and train several hours a day as a kid all the way up to 18 you are going to be able to play with a football but there is a world of difference between being able to play with a ball and being able to play football without a ball which Ameobi simply can't.

:clap:

Fucking pathetic yesterday.  Can we please put to bed this notion of "Aw, at least he always does his best, gives 100% etc etc"?  He plays with less heart than the likes of Owen and N'Zogbia.  He doesn't jump to get the ball, he just jumps to go through the motions.  He jogs in the general direction of the ball but he doesn't fucking want it.  When he does get the ball he doesn't seem to see it as an opportunity, but as an inconvinence.  People talk about his lack of skill, that's academic.  We don't know if he fucking has any skill or not because the bigger problem is that he doesn't give a shit.  Someone's thundering down the wing looking to put it in the box and he's not going "Right, let's fucking have it" he's going "Ah, fucking hell, are we attacking again?  Better jog up this way a bit.  How long's left?  Another 20 minutes?  Fucking hell, could do with a pint."  You'd think he didn't want to be here and was having a sluk.

I know the slating I will receive here but meh...

Shola Ameobi is the current Titus Bramble of our squad. He is the scapegoat, he is the one who has done wrong before he even gets on the pitch.

The fact of the matter is, that yesterday we had 10 men, we packed the midfield and defense and hoofed up long innaccurate balls to Shola. You cannot hold up a fucking ball with your head. Why didn't we play it into his feet?

Shola Ameobi is definately not the quality of player we should have in our first team, but as a squad player to come in he is canny. Yesterday I heard people saying Shearer would have done this Shearer would have done that. Well don;t be so fucking stupid - Alan Shearer is one of the greatest English strikers in history, comparing him with Shola is absolutely pathetic.

As far as I'm concerned, we need rid of Viduka, and Owen, we need a new quality striker in and people need to get off Sholas back. I don't think anyone would say he is quality and worthy of his first team spot...but the lad does try imo and if he doesn;t it's probably because of the amount of unjust stick he gets.

People should really just give the lad a break. If he went to somehwere like Wigan he would do well imo, then those who constantly complain about him would look stupid.

Guest Heneage

I'm at a loss with Newcastle and Ameobi.

A player that was only wanted by teams a division below. He was in the last year of a contract that took him to 27, an age often considered a Footballers peak. Having been brought back Shola scored goals against Man City, Fulham, and Sunderland (I'm ignoring the penalty at this point.) He had showed elements of improvement but still was clumsy, still gave away daft fouls and over all had improved very little.

Now come January instead of saying "Right Shola, we have 4-5 months left of your deal, and roughly 19 games, show us what you can do, you are playing for your contract." He is offered a 3 year deal, 3 years, for 3 goals?I just find it crazy, a one year deal I could understand, a 1 year deal with the option to extend I could understand. But 3 years, why is this deal not been given to Krul ? Or players with potential for improvement.

I just cannot see what he has done to justify this.

Shola Ameobi is the current Titus Bramble of our squad. He is the scapegoat, he is the one who has done wrong before he even gets on the pitch.

The fact of the matter is, that yesterday we had 10 men, we packed the midfield and defense and hoofed up long innaccurate balls to Shola. You cannot hold up a f***ing ball with your head. Why didn't we play it into his feet?

Shola Ameobi is definately not the quality of player we should have in our first team, but as a squad player to come in he is canny. Yesterday I heard people saying Shearer would have done this Shearer would have done that. Well don;t be so f***ing stupid - Alan Shearer is one of the greatest English strikers in history, comparing him with Shola is absolutely pathetic.

As far as I'm concerned, we need rid of Viduka, and Owen, we need a new quality striker in and people need to get off Sholas back. I don't think anyone would say he is quality and worthy of his first team spot...but the lad does try imo and if he doesn;t it's probably because of the amount of unjust stick he gets.

People should really just give the lad a break. If he went to somehwere like Wigan he would do well imo, then those who constantly complain about him would look stupid.

Yeah ...some people overly criticise his game, but the bottom line is that he is poor. He is sluggish, lacks technique, isn't intelligent and often is a poor finisher. He a rubbish, useless, nonsense player.

Guest Howaythetoon

Ameobi doesn't have the sense to angle his runs, to drag defenders away, to come short or to drop off, to get tight to his marker, to go far post or near post. He literally doesn't know what to do on that pitch in terms of off the ball stuff and I'll get shot down for this but Martins has the same problems, albeit to a much lesser degree. We bemoan the midfield and rightly so but all too often there is fuck all happening up top for them to link up with hence a lot of hit and hope balls which percentages wise (the default setting of all footballers due to 'play it safe' conditioning as kids) will work enough times to get something out of it, be it a free-kick for man handling the forward who the hit and hope ball is aimed at, a flick on, a throw-in and last but not least, that good old keeping it as far away from their own half as possible. Although never for long if you're lumping it long to a lump like Ameobi...

The fact of the matter is, that yesterday we had 10 men, we packed the midfield and defense and hoofed up long innaccurate balls to Shola. You cannot hold up a f***ing ball with your head. Why didn't we play it into his feet?

Shola Ameobi is definately not the quality of player we should have in our first team, but as a squad player to come in he is canny. Yesterday I heard people saying Shearer would have done this Shearer would have done that. Well don;t be so f***ing stupid - Alan Shearer is one of the greatest English strikers in history, comparing him with Shola is absolutely pathetic.

Yeah ...some people overly criticise his game, but the bottom line is that he is poor. He is sluggish, lacks technique, isn't intelligent and often is a poor finisher. He a rubbish, useless, nonsense player.

But stays fit and wants to be here. With our current strikeforce, Viduka is always injured and is sluggish. Owen always injured and doesn't wanna be here. Both are supposedly on massive wages whereas Shola isn't. Caroll deserves his chance imo, but I think he is injured, and Xisco definately desveres more of a chance. At the end of the day come end of the season when peoples contracts are up and they dont want to be here he still would want to.

I do agree he doesn't have the quality, but people need to get off his back and show a bit faith in him. Kinnear did that and like you mentioned he scored on 3 or 4 occassions, won a penalty or two and made a few. If more people showed a little less negativity towards him his performances might MIGHT just get a little bit better.

Rather worryingly, we NEED Shola Ameobi at the moment, given our injury crisis and lack of stability at the club. Having to play him is merely a sign of the times...

Guest Heneage

It all just seems very basic with him, he does not make runs into the box, he doesn't challenge in the air, these things are basic, we see players from the Champions League right down to our own games we play each week do these things. He seems to be very lazy and relaxed too relaxed, that style does not always work, Sunday you needed to get about them, you needed to put their defenders under pressure, Evertons defenders would not make mistakes like West Broms they needed pressure.

Couldn't agree more,  yes he wasn't having a good game yesterday but some of the stick he was getting from our fans was a disgrace,  any mistake is greeted with howls of derision while other players making worse mistakes were getting encouraged.  The way we played hardly helped, the team firing balls towards him, no team mate within 20 yards of him even if he did manage to win it against Lescott, Yobo and Jaglieka.  Martins came on and our forward play didn't exactly improve did it??

Guest nufc1892

Foluwashola Ameobi is a player who should have been released by Newcastle many many years ago but mainly bad management judgement made to the point where he'll finish his career here.

He is and he'll ever be a Championship class player.

Something like Chopra.

From a nufc.com match report (waffle) from 11/09/2002

To those who don't share Robson's enthusiasm for Ameobi, this game in many ways reinforced the position for and against.

Some have claimed with a level of justification that this was the best of his 52 first team appearances. Others though point to a lack of goal assists and goals scored, despite some eye-catching runs and a couple of gilt-edged chances.

LuaLua wasn't in a fit state to play according to the manager, and with Bellamy short of match fitness and Cort not ready for the Premiership, then Shola was the only choice apart from some Robert/Viana jiggery pokery.

Fair enough, but it was once again evident that Shearer and Shola do not a lethal combination make. Whether it's because Ameobi doesn't play on the shoulder of defenders or link up well with his captain is unclear, but certainly there are question marks about the positional sense of the youngster - at times in this game his colleagues would have needed orienteering skills to find with a pass.

Whether he'll learn that in time is open to question - other people writing in "proper" media channels can dance around the subject and come up with mealy-mouthed answers, but we're unencumbered by such conventions.

To be brutally honest, he's not good enough - skilful yes, but not tenacious enough for the very top line. Goals in the reserves are one thing, but in front of 52,000 when the chips are down is a slightly different matter.

He's got more to him than many previous toon strikers, but at the very highest level that we're aiming for he's lacking. Someone has to score the goals that we've come to rely on Shearer for, and it ain't him.

If you think this is unjust, sorry.

Nowt personal against the lad, just gut feeling from someone who has seen every game at first team and reserve level he's played for the club, not to mention academy matches when he used to be deployed as a central defender!

His time in the England U21 side is close to ending, and he looks like joining club mate Cort in not making the transition to the senior set up. Whether Shola will be able to make his mark at a lower level is also open to question - football history is littered with talented forwards who couldn't find the time and space to exhibit their skills against Neolithic defenders.

Nearly SEVEN YEARS later (and exactly how man new contracts), and the fact is he is still not close to good enough. Re-read some of the key points - not good enough, lacking tenacity, poor positional sense, won't score the goals we've come to rely on Shearer for - these are exactly the same arguments we're making after yet another disgraceful performance.

(PS Sorry if I've posted that before - I saved it at the time because it seemed prophetic, and for damned sure it was!!!)

Couldn't agree more,  yes he wasn't having a good game yesterday but some of the stick he was getting from our fans was a disgrace,  any mistake is greeted with howls of derision while other players making worse mistakes were getting encouraged.  The way we played hardly helped, the team firing balls towards him, no team mate within 20 yards of him even if he did manage to win it against Lescott, Yobo and Jaglieka.  Martins came on and our forward play didn't exactly improve did it??

Agree with both posts. I'd add that he created our one gilt-edged chance of the game with a very classy feint.

The problem with a lot of our fans (and football fans in general) is that there are only two kinds of players in their minds: the wasters and the world-beaters. You're either amazing and setting the world alight, or you're f***ing s*** and not worth the wages you're on.

It has be accepted that there is a middle ground. You can be a useful squad player or cost-effective backup even if you're not weaving wonders every week.

Man United, the best team in the country, employ the likes of O'Shea, Fletcher, and Brown, players who a lot of people would think aren't good enough for our squad never mind theirs. You can have your star players but you also need your mediocre ones to make up the numbers.

Shola is a moderately effective role-player who's cheap and would like to stay here. He's absolutely perfect as a fourth or fifth choice striker, which is exactly what he'll be when our good ones are fit.

The problem with a lot of our fans (and football fans in general) is that there are only two kinds of players in their minds: the wasters and the world-beaters. You're either amazing and setting the world alight, or you're f***ing s*** and not worth the wages you're on.

It has be accepted that there is a middle ground. You can be a useful squad player or cost-effective backup even if you're not weaving wonders every week.

Man United, the best team in the country, employ the likes of O'Shea, Fletcher, and Brown, players who a lot of people would think aren't good enough for our squad never mind theirs. You can have your star players but you also need your mediocre ones to make up the numbers.

Shola is a moderately effective role-player who's cheap and would like to stay here. He's absolutely perfect as a fourth or fifth choice striker, which is exactly what he'll be when our good ones are fit.

very much agree with the point but disagree about the player oldtype

sholagoals is borderline useless if he's not playing regularly, and even if he is he has a brief spurt of form then it's back to normal...he can maintain form neither as a bit part player nor a starter

problem we've had for years i might add and well highlighted, for the PL you need better than ameobi as a squad member