The Shola Ameobi thread

Crumpy Gunt

The shear responce you get for remotely sticking by Shola actually sums up exactly what I just said. The quality of posession Newcastle had as a whole was far better when Gutierrez came on because he was linking up the play between the front two and the Midfield. Then the rest were influenced by this and combining that with Stoke sitting back we pushed them back into their half.

As a result we created more chances and Caroll took a very hard one, which Shola probably wouldn't have.

I didn't say that Shola was better than Caroll or anything people just jump to whinge at Shola - people are looking through rose-tinted glasses though if Shola was completely useless the other day - because alot of it wasn't his fault.

Also, a good flick on isn't necessarily made by the player heading the ball - sometimes the player moving off the ball can be at fault. I'm not saying that this was Owens fault but a lack of playing together and understanding one another probably is.

Caroll is now in a similar position to what Shola was 6 or 7 years ago, he has potential and needs to be consistent to prove himself. Sholas time has been and gone now and he hasn't quite made it. The amount of abuse he gets is obscene though, the words scape and goat seem fairly evident here...

was Shola booed off on Sat? was in a Leeds pub with no sound

I didn't hear any.

He was applauded off in my living room. We were just delighted to see the back of the fucker.

Undoubtedly Shola was completely at fault for their goal. In addition to this he wouldn't have scored the header Caroll did. That aside he did no different to Caroll.

so he cost us a goal, and carol got us one,.. so carol is only worth 2 goals more,...ill settle for that diffrence thanks.

Carroll would get into the team on sheer workrate at the moment. It's the ball that he bothers to close down and the one that Shola doesn't that could be the difference between staying up, or going down.

Carroll would get into the team on sheer workrate at the moment. It's the ball that he bothers to close down and the one that Shola doesn't that could be the difference between staying up, or going down.

yep, or the goal he gets, that shola couldnt be arsed to run for.

so much of football is down to attitude man. Massively.

It's unlike me to agree with NE5 - but no matter what the odds, he who wants to win most, will.

It's unlike me to agree with NE5  - but no matter what the odds, he who wants to win most, will.

you should try it more often. Instead of being biased, you would be right.

Carroll directed two great headers at goal neither of which were easy but he could easily have scored twice in the space of 5 mins. I can't remember Shola scoring two headers in the space of 5 yrs. That's the difference.

Carroll directed two great headers at goal neither of which were easy but he could easily have scored twice in the space of 5 mins. I can't remember Shola scoring two headers in the space of 5 yrs. That's the difference.

He likes headers against the Mackems, can't remember many others from him!

It was the quality of posession that made the difference which was down to Gutierrez's influence rather than Caroll...

Sorry mate, while I appreciate Shola isn't as bad as some here like to make out, Carroll is a real goal threat in the air whereas Shola isn't called 50p head for no reason.

Biggest mystery perhaps ever, how this clown passes off as a footballer and every single manager rates him.

How can he be so good in training? he can barely move let alone run, he can't jump or head the ball particularly well and he can't strike the ball that good either.  About as dynamic as a dead fish.  I don't think i can recall an occasion where he bullied a centre half.  Although saying that he probably bullies Collocini in training which isn't much to brag about.

Still can't quite get my head round that since Bobby out of all the managers, only Keegan was the one who realised how incapable he actually is of being a decent standard Premiership footballer.

Still can't quite get my head round that since Bobby out of all the managers, only Keegan was the one who realised how incapable he actually is of being a decent standard Premiership footballer.

Allardyce to be fair.

Allardyce to be fair.

I forgot about that 'performance' away to Derby. Mind Owen was just as bad if not worse than him that night.

Allardyce to be fair.

I forgot about that 'performance' away to Derby. Mind Owen was just as bad if not worse than him that night.

Apart from that game, he made about a further three or four sub appearances under Allardyce. At least he gave him the one chance, realised he was gash and then hardly played him again.

One of the few things Fat Sam got right. I remember watching that game and finding it hard to dispel the theory that Ameobi must be on smack or something.

Shola started on the left wing in the league cup at Arsenal under FS. Never in all my life have I seen anything quite like it.

Oh aye, I remember that as well. In my post I was talking about league games btw.