Danny Guthrie signed from Liverpool on 4 year deal

Guest Redcar Mag

Would anyone have preferred Sidwell given a straight choice? Considering their age and probable wages?

I believe we already have a stack of little uns & Guthrie is another short arse. As for Sidwell people can say proven quality BUT a year of not playing can kill ya career as Newcastle fans we have seen with our own eyes how poor players can be after a year or more of being a Chelsea squad player.

But I would go with Sidwell as you would hope he could get back to the level he was playing at Reading, where as I cant really remember Guthrie that much from last season.

But (PART 2) lets hope Guthrie has a stonking season & outperforms ginger pubes.

What positions is he capable of playing exactly?

Centrally I think. What's that website that tracks where players started in each game and gives an average position?

Was Barry Venison the last Liverpool cast off we bought ? That didn't turn out too bad, did it ?

Hooper :(

Shit forgot about him :( Well lets hope Guthrie is more like Venners than that fat ginger bastard.

Guest Rob X

Unless we sign another midfield player, considering he'll be competing against geremi, emre presumably gone and Barton still adjusting to life on the outside, I'd say that there is a good chance Guthrie will start in central midfield.

Unless we sign another midfield player, considering he'll be competing against geremi, emre presumably gone and Barton still adjusting to life on the outside, I'd say that there is a good chance Guthrie will start in central midfield.

Personally I have the feeling he's been brought into replace Barton. I also have the feeling Emre will still be a NUFC player come Aug 31.

I think we'll sign at least one more midfielder.  Inler or Larsson in as a first teamer, Derdiyok as "cover" for Viduka, a two footed fullback and a big trophy signing midfielder to keep everyone happy and shift some replica shirts.  That would suit me.

What positions is he capable of playing exactly?

Centrally I think. What's that website that tracks where players started in each game and gives an average position?

Right wing too.

If he can do both he will work in our 3 man midfield then, in the sort of position Geremi played.

Dave let me know what that website is if you remember. Cheers.

Personally I have the feeling he's been brought into replace Barton. I also have the feeling Emre will still be a NUFC player come Aug 31.

the emre deal will go through, i'd imagine, there was talk of formalities needing to be sorted out and that it would go through late july. then there is barton whose future is uncertain. i think n'zogbia may well leave too tho i guess jonas is his replacement. overall i think we need another creative midfielder and someone to challenge/replace Butt.

guthrie should be a decent backup and as a youngster has room to improve but i hope he sees little first team football as a result of us signing better (much better).

I think we'll sign at least one more midfielder.  Inler or Larsson in as a first teamer, Derdiyok as "cover" for Viduka, a two footed fullback and a big trophy signing midfielder to keep everyone happy and shift some replica shirts.  That would suit me.

That would suit you? It would mean we would fall further behind our rivals who either already have stronger squads and first teams or will show much more ambition than bringing in some decent Premiership and promising foreign youngsters and one signing to really strengthen the first team, which is what you mean when you refer to a siging as a trophy signing, i.e. somebody with a bit of class about them?

Anyone else sick to death of 'undisclosed' fees?

What the hell is going on?, In this day and age of corruption everything to do with transfers should be made available in the public domain, particularly the fee.

That would suit you? It would mean we would fall further behind our rivals who either already have stronger squads and first teams or will show much more ambition than bringing in some decent Premiership and promising foreign youngsters and one signing to really strengthen the first team, which is what you mean when you refer to a siging as a trophy signing, i.e. somebody with a bit of class about them?

Inler & Larsson are established internationals, either of whom would strengthen the team, as would the trophy signing (lets say Aimar, the big name that has been linked).  If we went into next season with N'Zogbia - Inler - Aimar - Gutierrez as our first choice midfield in a 4-4-2, retaining Guthrie, Butt, Milner & Barton as backups, I would consider that job well done.  The teams that have built better squads than us - Spurs, Everton, and especially Pompey - did so over the course of several seasons.  We aren't going to make up all that ground in one go.  But if we made the signings I suggested, we would take a big leap forward IMO.

Inler & Larsson are established internationals, either of whom would strengthen the team, as would the trophy signing (lets say Aimar, the big name that has been linked).  If we went into next season with N'Zogbia - Inler - Aimar - Gutierrez as our first choice midfield in a 4-4-2, retaining Guthrie, Butt, Milner & Barton as backups, I would consider that job well done.  The teams that have built better squads than us - Spurs, Everton, and especially Pompey - did so over the course of several seasons.  We aren't going to make up all that ground in one go.  But if we made the signings I suggested, we would take a big leap forward IMO.

Personally I wouldn't say the likes of Inler (how many people on here knew about him before Euro 2008) and Larsson (decent squad player maybe) would improve our team, especially if we were to lose Emre and Barton (for a while anyway). I would have hoped we are setting our sights higher than this.

Personally I wouldn't say the likes of Inler (how many people on here knew about him before Euro 2008) and Larsson (decent squad player maybe) would improve our team, especially if we were to lose Emre and Barton (for a while anyway). I would have hoped we are setting our sights higher than this.

The loss of Emre will have no negative effect on the team, he's either injured or ineffective so getting rid of him is a plus as far as I'm concerned.

The loss of Emre will have no negative effect on the team, he's either injured or ineffective so getting rid of him is a plus as far as I'm concerned.

He may have been all that, he is/was also our best midfielder in terms of natural ability..

He may have been all that, he is/was also our best midfielder in terms of natural ability..

When has he ever shwon that natural ability? Certainly not in his set-pieces.