Danny Guthrie signed from Liverpool on 4 year deal

Guest Redcar Mag

Guest Sniffer

Another milner as in the Milner that Benitez or MON would probably be willing to pay 6-7million for? Perhaps they see something in him that we aren't getting out of him?

Milner may be the sort of player that thrives in a good side, or at least one that's superior to the opposition and can give him time and space. He may be more use to Liverpool than us.

That's one hell of a reason to sell him.

Never heard of him, but just got a text off my Liverpool supporting mate taking the piss saying we have signed their 7th choice CM.

Could turn out to be decent as he's young, but I was really hoping we were going to sign some quality to push our current average midfielders into the position of 'squad player'.

Guest mandakin

I can't help but be pessimistic about this transfer. And a Liverpool fan telling us that he's alright but Lucas and Plessis are ahead of him does nothing to help me.

Guthrie at this point is more ahead in his development than Plessis. But Plessis has shown far more potential at this stage of his carrier. For example, Rafa threw Plessis into the mix Arsenal away which we drew. He did brilliantly against Fabregas and Flamini. If he was an Arsenal player all the journos would be drooling writing articles about how Arsene has discovered another gem.

Lucas Leiva is the youngest player to win the player of the year in the brazilian league.

From wiki:"Lucas also became the youngest player to ever to receive Placar magazine's Bola de Ouro (Golden Ball), given to the best player in the Campeonato Brasileiro — an honour previously won by the likes of Zico, Falcao, Careca, Alex, Romario, Kaká and Tevez."

He may not have pulled up trees in the league in his first year but he is a young lad settling down in a foreign country. Great things are expected out of him. By the end of the last season he was performing better than Alonso whenever he was given a chance. So being behind these two players does not make guthrie a bad player. Another thing is that guthrie being english will generate around 2 million in transfer fee whereas we may not get that much for Plessis.

I am not saying Danny Guthrie will develop into a Steven Gerrard/ Cesc Fabregas combination who will drag your team to glory. He is a honest little player who will do a job and I think in a few years he will may surprise a few people. I am reasonably confident that he will prove to be a very useful member of your squad and the money you spent wont be wasted.

I've just read the last 6 pages in this thread and thought I slept for 5 weeks, the transfer window had closed and we'd only brought in 2 players.  I checked the date on the PC and it was showing as 11th July 2008.  I checked the date on my watch and it confirmed that it was still just a third of the way through July and the transfer window was still open.

Panic over.   :doh:

I've just read the last 6 pages in this thread and thought I slept for 5 weeks, the transfer window had closed and we'd only brought in 2 players.  I checked the date on the PC and it was showing as 11th July 2008.  I checked the date on my watch and it confirmed that it was still just a third of the way through July and the transfer window was still open.

Panic over.  :doh:

Eh? :lol:

I've just read the last 6 pages in this thread and thought I slept for 5 weeks , the transfer window had closed and we'd only brought in 2 players.  I checked the date on the PC and it was showing as 11th July 2008.  I checked the date on my watch and it confirmed that it was still just a third of the way through July and the transfer window was still open.

Panic over.   :doh:

more like 15 years

Guest trotter58

Decent player with plenty of potential. I'm sorry we didn't sign him. For those of you who think that he's 'average', don't forget that last season was his first full season in the Prem in a struggling team. Prior to that he was fantastic at Southampton, so i'm not quite sure what you're basing these opinions on.

We've always bought squad players because teams need squad players - some clubs have the academies to get their squad players from there (Arsenal, Liverpool, even Middlesbrough), unfortunately we don't so it's sensible to go for young talent at other clubs who are good enough to come into the team and do a job in case of an injury rather than a foreigner who may not settle or an old hand whose legs have gone. This is even more important now we have seven subs - it was only two or three seasons ago we started a Premiership game with a 4 man bench because we couldn't fill it.

For the record, Shepherd oversaw the arrival of Kevin Gallacher, Diego Gavilan, Daniel Cordone, Lomana Lua Lua, Clarence Acuna, Wayne Quinn, Andy O'Brien, Darren Ambrose... that's just a few under Sir Bobby, I could go on and on and on. All had varying degrees of success and all were squad padding. But Shepherd only ever signed superstars didn't he?

The time to judge the merits of this signing is the 31st August. Until then, it's ridiculous to do so either way. Good luck to the lad, that's all I can say.

Bit harsh to be judging him after only three games!

Guest Deep456

So this is just one of the so-called signings to get us "Newcastle fans excited in the next 10 days" of which 7 have passed.

Decent player with plenty of potential. I'm sorry we didn't sign him. For those of you who think that he's 'average', don't forget that last season was his first full season in the Prem in a struggling team. Prior to that he was fantastic at Southampton, so i'm not quite sure what you're basing these opinions on.

Their imagination, to be frank.  :razz:

So this is just one of the so-called signings to get us "Newcastle fans excited in the next 10 days" of which 7 have passed.

Who exactly said that then, spackerjack?

Correct me if im wrong but I don't think those are the quotes that were said by Keegan. I thought he said something along the lines of their is nothing to talk about at the moment but their will be in 10 days.

The deadly duo falling apart eh?  :lol:

Guest Deep456

I banish you to the realms of Tok-tok-balleee, there you will rot after betraying the trust I invested in you. This is one of Deep's shortest tragedy's.

You shall never take power by usurper my sidekick.

We've always bought squad players because teams need squad players - some clubs have the academies to get their squad players from there (Arsenal, Liverpool, even Middlesbrough), unfortunately we don't so it's sensible to go for young talent at other clubs who are good enough to come into the team and do a job in case of an injury rather than a foreigner who may not settle or an old hand whose legs have gone. This is even more important now we have seven subs - it was only two or three seasons ago we started a Premiership game with a 4 man bench because we couldn't fill it.

For the record, Shepherd oversaw the arrival of Kevin Gallacher, Diego Gavilan, Daniel Cordone, Lomana Lua Lua, Clarence Acuna, Wayne Quinn, Andy O'Brien, Darren Ambrose... that's just a few under Sir Bobby, I could go on and on and on. All had varying degrees of success and all were squad padding. But Shepherd only ever signed superstars didn't he?

The time to judge the merits of this signing is the 31st August. Until then, it's ridiculous to do so either way. Good luck to the lad, that's all I can say.

Bit harsh to be judging him after only three games!

I mean whether or not he's expected to be our main central midfield signing that will drag us to glory or a tidy squad player.

LOL that one hell of a word, thought personal abuse wasn't allowed here, anyway I think he's referring to the quote KK was attributed making through Taylor about going away signing some players within the next 10 days. Since KK wasn't quoted directly, I guess it's not worth us getting our knickers in a twist if all we do is bring in this young squad player.

I banish you to the realms of Tok-tok-balleee, there you will rot after betraying the trust I invested in you. This is one of Deep's shortest tragedy's.

Is this where Dave finishes me off?

Saw this on the later news, got to say, nothing to get excited about. Literally [KK] just said "nothing much to talk about right now, hopefully there'll be more in the next 10 days/2 weeks." He didn't have a sly grin or anything either, best wait and see I guess.

Guest Deep456

Is this where Dave finishes me off?

You missed a bulk of the story.