Danny Guthrie signed from Liverpool on 4 year deal

Guest Redcar Mag

Something I'd like to add, another young English top 4 reject spent some time on loan at two different Premiership clubs, but was not really going to be in with a sniff of first team football when he was to return to his parent club, is now being touted as a player beyond your means, one David Bentley. You've got to speculate to accumulate...

Your far too sensible for these shores. How I wanted us to sign Bentley after his first stint at Norwich, but it was the same type of things being said about Guthrie and Larsson now.

There is no guarantee these players will become as good as Bentley, but it is well worth taking a flier on a few of these types of players due to their reasonably cheap prices and potential for improvement.

This is all well and good at Championship level.

This was over a year ago, since then he's been playing regular Premiership football. You do know that you have to build from somewhere if you're going to become a Champions League club, a reliable young English player, with potential to improve really wouldn't be a bad acquisition, providing you don't pay more then £2/£3M for him. Who knows, in a better side, with players providing more intelligent play he may become even better.

Don't be silly. He's a top four reject and everyone knows we're bigger than Barcelona. Should be in for Ronaldo not this s**** tbh.

Fair enough. It just shows you how overpriced English players are when we're talking 2/3 million for a fairly promising 21 year old midfielder who hasn't shown much to suggest he can cut it at the top level but has some experience in the Premiership with a lower table club. That sort of money would buy you an awful lot more talent for your money on the continent. Van Persie and Van der Vaart went for that sort of money not long ago, and there's bargains to be had if you know where to look.

Touché, but then people have been making similar whingy noises when we're linked with £2/3 million players from European clubs. Some really do still harbour delusions of grandeur.

We don't need squad players. We've just played a full season with squad standard players in midfield. We need first teamers.

We need both.

As far as i'm concerned Barton, Geremi, and Butt are all back up players. So 3 first team players is what we need.

And if we get this lad you think Keegan will just forget about all that?

No, if we get this lad i think it would be a waste of money.

Something I'd like to add, another young English top 4 reject spent some time on loan at two different Premiership clubs, but was not really going to be in with a sniff of first team football when he was to return to his parent club, is now being touted as a player beyond your means, one David Bentley. You've got to speculate to accumulate...

Your far too sensible for these shores. How I wanted us to sign Bentley after his first stint at Norwich, but it was the same type of things being said about Guthrie and Larsson now.

There is no guarantee these players will become as good as Bentley, but it is well worth taking a flier on a few of these types of players due to their reasonably cheap prices and potential for improvement.

I'm all in favour for getting Larsson because with him I have seen the potential. With Guthrie, there isn't one moment from last season I can recall where he made a lasting impression. Have I not been paying attention, or are we advocating just siging ANY young English midfielder with Premiership experience because they might become a world beater?

We don't need squad players. We've just played a full season with squad standard players in midfield. We need first teamers.

We need both.

As far as i'm concerned Barton, Geremi, and Butt are all back up players. So 3 first team players is what we need.

Waste of money? I thought we didn't like Ashley's cost cutting?

Look, I've seen fuck all of this player, but if Keegan thinks he's got enough quality at his age and price to bulk out the squad that's good enough for me. I'm sure it won't affect our plans to bring in quality first-teamers one bit. Whereas some seem to think this is the limit of our ambitions.

The difference being that Bentley caught the eye somewhat at Norwich. Guthrie has been largely crap at Bolton and hasn't really stood out in their rubbish team. Larsson looks a clear step above Guthrie to me.

We need both.

Waste of money? I thought we didn't like Ashley's cost cutting?

Look, I've seen f*** all of this player, but if Keegan thinks he's got enough quality at his age and price to bulk out the squad that's good enough for me. I'm sure it won't affect our plans to bring in quality first-teamers one bit. Whereas some seem to think this is the limit of our ambitions.

I have no problem with Ashley's cost cutting.

I'm all in favour for getting Larsson because with him I have seen the potential. With Guthrie, there isn't one moment from last season I can recall where he made a lasting impression. Have I not been paying attention, or are we advocating just siging ANY young English midfielder with Premiership experience because they might become a world beater?

Have you seen much of Bolton from Holland? Because I live in England and I can't particularly say that I've seen enough of them to judge any of their players.

Have you seen much of Bolton from Holland? Because I live in England and I can't particularly say that I've seen enough of them to judge any of their players.

I have seen a fair bit. I have Sport1, the Dutch equivalent to Sky Sports. They have 8 sports channels and if need be (Saturday 3pm) they are all used for Premiership matches. I haven´t paid particular attention to Bolton, but depending on the opposition I have seen a fair few games from then, as well as watching MOTD whenever I can. All I´m saying is I barely know his name, which wouldn´t be the case had he done anything of note this season past. Again, I may have completely missed the surgence of a top talent in English football, but I would like to think I would have taken notice instead of wondering who he is again when we are linked with him, and this seems to be the case for the majority on here.

Here fucking here.

Great post :thup:

Guest BigAl2

From what I have seen of Guthrie he looks comfortable in pocession and always wants the ball, anyway isn't this part of the Milner deal? if and when that happens.

From what I have seen of Guthrie he looks comfortable in pocession and always wants the ball, anyway isn't this part of the Milner deal? if and when that happens.

Thats probably why its came about, the three Liverpool teens for Milner bullshit..

At least if we are buying young, we will be able to move the players on if indeed they are shite as they will be still attractive to other clubs and not on lunacy wages like most of the muppets we are lumbered with now

Guest Mucky01

I agree with what you say and think he’s got a canny shot on him. From what I saw of him and Bolton last season they were playing the long ball over midfield so his play didn’t stand out, but KK may see potential in a player more suited to ‘carpet football’ than I am capable of.

Guest diddimz
Have I not been paying attention, or are we advocating just siging ANY young English midfielder with Premiership experience because they might become a world beater?

Its because any young english midfielder we sign will be better then smith, and if their not (if thats possible), then we can sell them for 6mill which is the going rate for useless midfielders these days.

FWIW I saw him play a bit for Bolton when they played us at SJP and he looked quite promising - tidy player, took plenty of neat touches and wasn't afraid to try and beat his man. This was him playing right-wing mind.

Guest nufc_geordie

Saw him play on sky a couple of times and although that isn't enough to form a good opinion of him he did look tidy and a step above the other Bolton players around him. I certainly don't object to a young Englishmen who has solid grounding coming in. At worst he will be a squad player, who knows he might kick on and develop well.

Exactly. Both of these players had good seasons and Keegan does have the ability to make them even better.

It's not like we are able to sign the Luka Modric's of the world