Owen opens new contract talks

Dave

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/330/owenwq5.jpg

I like the caption from the site it was on: 'Owen declares “I’m better than you” via the medium of clothes'. :lol:

Cheers, I'll make this thread worthwhile. :)

Michael Owen has confirmed he is currently in talks with Newcastle over extending his contract at the club beyond its expiry next summer.

The striker joined The Magpies from Real Madrid on a four-year deal in the summer of 2005 and there has been speculation he is keen to move on.

However, Owen has always denied such conjecture and has now stated that he expects to tie up a deal to remain at the club within the next four to eight weeks.

“We've just opened contract talks, we are talking,” confirmed the England international on At The Races.

“I've got this season left regardless and we're working on a deal to hopefully stay longer. There'll probably be news in a month or two.”

Owen says the talent within the squad is one of the main factors that contribute to his happiness at St James’ Park.

“We've got a lot of good players. We haven't got a massive squad and we don't want size for the sake of size. I'm like any Newcastle supporter – I want the best players,” he added.

Meanwhile, the former Liverpool man also assured fans he was fully recovered from the injury problems which has stilted his Newcastle career.

He said: “I'd like to think I am (back to my best). This last year I played fully without hiccups to my knee. That's well behind me now.”

Kevin Keegan’s side turned their season around towards the end of the last campaign to steer themselves well clear of relegation and end in a relatively respectable position of 12th, and Owen says the impact Keegan has had since his return has been immense.

“He's fantastic,” added Owen. “I can only say I've been highly impressed and the whole place is buzzing again.”

:celb:

Surely having a big name like owen in our squad will interest other biggish names to sign here

Hope he signs soon

So first we hear Ashley's going to be involved more, and now Owen and Taylor are in talks about new contracts.

Along with Keegan being back from his holiday, it's good to see some movement and hopefully the positive news will continue.

As long as he continues in this attacking midfield role, where he's been a revelation.

If he goes back up front, we must sign someone like Elano or Arteta, otherwise he'll just be running around hopelessly up front again.

As long as he continues in this attacking midfield role, where he's been a revelation.

If he goes back up front, we must sign someone like Elano or Arteta, otherwise he'll just be running around hopelessly up front again.

Arshavin? :pow: