Negativity?

mattypnufc

Glad Ive sparked a little bit of a debate. 

Dont get me wrong, I'm realistic as stated, but I just think at times the negativity is a little excessive :) - just trying to restore a bit of confidence and faith in our club (albeit very little at the moment).

The negativity is palpable. I think had we signed Modric things would be very different, and I still think that bid and how close we came to getting what is supposedly one of the hottest prospects in Europe is great cause for encouragement.

There's no home nation in Euro 2008, and as NUFC fans we don't even have anyone to follow. This is a bigger factor than I originally thought. As it is, nothing has happened and people have nothing to talk about other than rumours and links from shitty newspapers and websites. All the formation, expectations and tactics stuff has been done as much as it can be with no signings, so it's no real surprise people are getting bored, posting rubbish, and even leaving the forum. Fair enough I say.

I'm still reasonably confident that we have an owner with good ambitions for this club, a manager that we all love and will give everything for us, and an exciting future. Simply put, we've needed this kick up the arse for a number of years.

I can't wait to see who we sign and I can't wait for next season. Howay the lads.

To be honest, I think it's realism that's kicked in, rather than negativity.

5 years ago, I thought we were on par with Liverpool and Chelsea.  However since then, Liverpool have overtaken us by quite some distance, the Abramovich millions obviously propelled them into a top 2 club, but now it looks as if Spurs and Manchester City are in a different class to us.  Spurs have been slowly building and improving their team season by season (besides the blip last season), and seem to have a great manager in charge.  Manchester City are in talks with Ronaldinho and apparently offering wages that even AC Milan can't match.  So those clubs can easily be considered "bigger" clubs than NUFC.

What that means is that we are effectively competing with the likes of Everton and Aston Villa.  If Portsmouth can keep up their performances over the last few seasons, and build the 36,000 stadium they were talking about, and if Blackburn Rovers' appointment of their next manager (Ince?) turns out to be a good move, it's very possible that we will fall even further behind them.  Which leaves us on par with the likes of West Ham.

:clap:

That's about how I view it too - a top two, then Arsenal, then Liverpool. Personally I think Everton and Villa are closer to Spuds and Citeh than you have suggested, and that much (potentially) more out of reach.

If Ashley has a master plan than doesn't include investment in "ready-to-star" players then negativity will become the norm, because mid-table would be a best-case scenario leading into the season. Which is why we should read NE5's warnings, negative though they may be, because they contain kernels of truth...

It appears a Chinese person has cursed us, for we certainly live in interesting times

Guest chogyamtrungpa

Hello

First up - I have to confess to being a perennial lurker on this forum, but I have to say that this thread really chimes with what I have been thinking recently about just how negative this forum is becoming.  And also, just how obsessed many people have become with "missing out" on Luka Modric.

But this is not exactly something new.  Every season, every football club in the country "misses out" on players they want to sign.  Last season for us it was distin.  Season before it was Kuyt.  A few seasons ago, I remember being frustrated that we "lost out" on Zenden... but then we got robert instead.  And I could go on - medicals for Oleg Luzhny, Peter lovenkrands, and even John Salako back when he was the next big thing.  So what!?  Swings and roundabouts, or whatever the old metaphor is.  People really shouldn't get quite so wound up about it.

My own view is that much of the frustration stems from the apparent media blackout by the club.  Newcastle have always been of particular interest to the national media (obsessive fans, big personalities, convenient narrative of hopeless underachievement) and obviously we have Chronicle where for years the football club was usually the biggest story almost every day.  But no longer.  The cosy relationship between Alan Oliver et al and the old regime is long gone, and the new management has very conspicuously stopped "leaking" stories.  Hence no credible transfer rumours, and all we are left to indulge in are the utterly groundless speculations of two-bit blogs like tribalfootball.  The national media are suffering just like use - there hasn't been a single transfer related story this summer that contains a direct quote (ie not from "a senior source" or "an unnamed official") and its almost as if they are reacting to the lack of information coming out of the club by trying to 'punish' it, insinuating that we have no money, are making our players buy their own suits etc.  Fucking bollocks the entire lot of it.

The fact that the Chron isn't slow releasing every transfer deal doesn't mean that they aren't happening.  Keep the faith lads. 

Hello

First up - I have to confess to being a perennial lurker on this forum, but I have to say that this thread really chimes with what I have been thinking recently about just how negative this forum is becoming.  And also, just how obsessed many people have become with "missing out" on Luka Modric.

But this is not exactly something new.  Every season, every football club in the country "misses out" on players they want to sign.  Last season for us it was distin.  Season before it was Kuyt.  A few seasons ago, I remember being frustrated that we "lost out" on Zenden... but then we got robert instead.   And I could go on - medicals for Oleg Luzhny, Peter lovenkrands, and even John Salako back when he was the next big thing.  So what!?  Swings and roundabouts, or whatever the old metaphor is.  People really shouldn't get quite so wound up about it.

My own view is that much of the frustration stems from the apparent media blackout by the club.  Newcastle have always been of particular interest to the national media (obsessive fans, big personalities, convenient narrative of hopeless underachievement) and obviously we have Chronicle where for years the football club was usually the biggest story almost every day.  But no longer.  The cosy relationship between Alan Oliver et al and the old regime is long gone, and the new management has very conspicuously stopped "leaking" stories.  Hence no credible transfer rumours, and all we are left to indulge in are the utterly groundless speculations of two-bit blogs like tribalfootball.  The national media are suffering just like use - there hasn't been a single transfer related story this summer that contains a direct quote (ie not from "a senior source" or "an unnamed official") and its almost as if they are reacting to the lack of information coming out of the club by trying to 'punish' it, insinuating that we have no money, are making our players buy their own suits etc.  f***ing bollocks the entire lot of it.

The fact that the Chron isn't slow releasing every transfer deal doesn't mean that they aren't happening.  Keep the faith lads. 

Good post.

The negativity is stupid this early in the summer, we've got plenty of time to bring people in.  I don't think anybody connected to the club has come out and said we're not spending anything but some people on here go on as if they have.

All that has been said is that we'll be going for younger players who will play for the club for years rather than somebody who has peaked or is on his way down.  We're looking to buy players of the quality of Modric and I'm over the moon with that outlook.  We'll miss some but we'll get others, if we brought in Arshavin after losing out on Modric I'll be more than happy.  Even if we don't get him, if we're after him, we'll be looking to bring in somebody of that quality.

I can't wait for next season, regardless of what the knee-jerker’s say.

Of course im not optimistic. we still have the same shit in our squad as last season, oh no. we have got rid of a few players and signed no one  :idiot2: fucking sort it out keegan

Guest gbolem

If England had been in the Euros for us to whinge over, we wouldn't be too worried about a lack of transfers.

Fact.

some people, myself partially included, are seeing it difficult to work out how we can attract the right calibre of players if we're no longer going to be matching or exceeding other clubs wages and are not in europe

also due to the lack of noise from the club we're all searching for scraps of info about targets - the fact we lost the only confirmed one we know about shouldn't fill anyone with confidence

realism not negativity is about right (TT excepted), but i'm mentally prepared to be very, very disappointed and it's up to ashley and co to go out and prove they're in it for something more than balance sheets now

Guest mobiius

some people, myself partially included, are seeing it difficult to work out how we can attract the right calibre of players if we're no longer going to be matching or exceeding other clubs wages and are not in europe

also due to the lack of noise from the club we're all searching for scraps of info about targets - the fact we lost the only confirmed one we know about shouldn't fill anyone with confidence

realism not negativity is about right (TT excepted), but i'm mentally prepared to be very, very disappointed and it's up to ashley and co to go out and prove they're in it for something more than balance sheets now

I have never heard a direct quote from the club saying that they are going to cap wages, i have however heard Anal OliverSION come out with a load of "fill the back page" at any cost bollocks like making the players buy their own suits. The rest of the media gets on it and all of a sudden there is a wages cap, we want owen to take a pay cut and joey barton has to half his pay or he is fired. We are all being starved of info, its the way the club has decided to do things. I am very optimistic for the coming weeks,here's a point to remember,at a recent do pedro was quoted as saying that it was through Anal that the Modric deal was made public, i dont think that the club will make the same mistake twice with that twat.To be honest, I think it's realism that's kicked in, rather than negativity.somebody started a post with that sentence earlier, well everyone to their own thats why this is the best toon forum on the web. Imo i think there is way to much unnecessary media induced negativity.Lets all keep the faith or we run the risk of turning into that thinly disguised mackem who's name spells some thing backwards.

United, though, are expected to intensify their first-team recruitment drive when Keegan returns to work on Monday following a family holiday and the first new arrivals are anticipated before the end of the month.

:catmag:

Aye...I am Freddy Shepherd - promising trophy signings to appease fans and boost ticket sales.  That was the whole point of this thread!! :p

I think there is a fine line between realistic and negative, perhaps some percieve a realistic approach as negativity, but I made this thread hopefully to pinpoint the abundance of negativity that has been around since Chelski/Modric after events, and to try and add a bit of a positive spin on things. 

Im a bit fed up of being 'down' about our club  :smitten: I mean ffs...the Modric thread is still going! :D