Complete pre-season schedule announced - OP updated

Dave

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1333676,00.html

United Announce Pre-Season Schedule

NEWCASTLE United will tackle top-level Spanish and German opposition during their pre-season programme.

Kevin Keegan's side have so far confirmed five warm-up matches to get the players in the best possible shape before the 2008/09 Premier League campaign kicks off with a visit to Manchester United.

The Magpies report back for pre-season training on July 7 and have their first run-out on Saturday, July 19, when they make the short trip down the A19 to face League One outfit Hartlepool United at Victoria Park (kick-off 3pm).

Seven days later on Saturday, July 26, Newcastle are again on the road as we make our first visit to the Keepmoat Stadium, home to newly-promoted Championship side Doncaster Rovers (kick-off 3pm).

After that, United fly south for the four-team Mallorca Summer Cup tournament in the ONO Estadi, Palma.

Fixtures for the tournament are as follows:

Friday, August 1

Newcastle United v Hertha Berlin (kick-off 8pm)

RCD Mallorca v Hannover 96 (kick-off 10pm)

Sunday, August 3

Hannover 96 v Hertha Berlin (kick-off 8pm)

RCD Mallorca v Newcastle United (kick-off 10pm)

The format for the tournament is three points for a win, one point for a draw and teams also awarded an extra point for each goal scored (ie a 3-1 win over Hertha would see United pick up six points in total, while Hertha would gain one.

Any matches that finish level after 90 minutes will be decided on penalties, with three points going to the side that wins the spot-kicks.

Newcastle then return to home soil for a friendly against Spaniards Valencia on Saturday, August 9 (kick-off TBC).

The Club are also still looking at the possibility of another home friendly, to be played on either Tuesday, August 5, or Wednesday, August 6.

Ticket details for all our pre-season friendlies will be announced first on nufc.co.uk in due course.

Supporters are respectfully asked not to contact the Box Office with pre-season ticket inquiries at this time as staff are extremely busy processing 2008/09 season ticket renewals.

Also playing PSV on 6th August at SJP: http://www.psv.nl/web/show/id=118705/langid=43/contentid=23487

Thanks to Roland for the tip-off. :thup:

Excellent i shall be in thailand for the Mallorca tourno. Hopefully i can catch it in a bar somewhere.

Who do you reckon we should have for the remaining friendly? FC Twente would be my choice because they will bring loads of fans and we can stuff McClarens side.

Excellent i shall be in thailand for the Mallorca tourno. Hopefully i can catch it in a bar somewhere.

Who do you reckon we should have for the remaining friendly? FC Twente would be my choice because they will bring loads of fans and we can stuff McClarens side.

Maybe Ajax since they're playing the mackems already and too would bring a healthy following and are a decent outfit.

Anyone know whether there is an organised trip to the Mallorca Tournament?

Easy Jet have magically put their prices up for that weekend to around £100 our and £80 back, should be able to find cheap hotels in and around Magaluf though!!

Since when was Shepherd involved with Majorca ?

He is supposed to be interested in buying them as they are about to go into administration and he spends most of the year living out there now as well.

Was in todays Journal.

Guest Mungo

Me n the lads were tempted by Mallorca...but at 250snots for flights only, its a no go.

Well I've just booked Toon to Palma an hour ago with jet2.com for £200 NOT £250?

Flying out Thursday and coming back Tuesday (5 nights).