Hallelujah! Fantastic news

Dave

No Toon's Taylor, we've not signed someone. :pow:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/euro_2008/article4228441.ece

June 28, 2008

It’s gone to extra time but now John Motson’s ready for the final whistle

Euro final will be Motty’s last live game

Will Pavia

Football fans will still hear his voice on Match of the Day, but for the millions of Britons who assemble in armchairs only when the fate of nations is at stake, it will be farewell.

The Euro 2008 final tomorrow will be their last evening in the company of John Motson, the BBC commentator who has been their guide at international tournaments since 1974.

Yesterday he broke off from his studies of Spain’s first-half scoring record and the past achievements of referee Roberto Rosetti to speak to The Times from Vienna.

“It will be the end of my international career,” he said. This called for some statistics. “Eighteen major championships, nine World Cups, nine Europeans, the final itself in six World Cups and nine Europeans if I’m still standing on Sunday,” he said.

“My first European championship was in 1976 in Belgrade when there was only four teams in the finals. I saw the only time Germany lost a penalty shoot-out in that final.” In those days, an unassuming football commentator in a sheepskin coat could walk straight into a team’s hotel and chat with the players. “The game wasn’t so corporate then,” he said. “It was a more innocent age in lots of ways. Red and yellow cards had just been brought in but there were no names on shirts. The subs rule was different – you were only allowed two weren’t you?” He could go on.

His career as a commentator had begun four years earlier when he was sent to Hereford to cover a third-round replay between the home team and Newcastle United. Minutes from defeat, Hereford United staged an astonishing comeback and turned what had been a “sweeping-up job” into the main event on Match of the Day that evening.

“Those goals by Ronnie Radford and Ricky George changed my life,” he said. “I was only on a year’s probation. I could have been sent back to my old job.” So began a career dedicated to articulating astonishment at a moment’s notice and enlightening a nation with the most unlikely details.

He was a man who could tell you the number of left-handed linesman in the league. He knew that Steve Thompson, of Cardiff City, had “injured himself falling off a banana boat”. He could relate that “Trevor Brooking had his own eggs and bacon before setting off”.

His more successful expressions became part of football folklore. “How fitting that a man named Buchan should climb the 39 steps,” he said, as the captain of Manchester United went to collect the FA Cup in 1977. His one regret is that “I haven’t managed to deliver better words. You would like to come out with pearls of wisdom but more often than not you don’t have time.”

He is looking forward to writing his autobiography in which will be “at least one hundred thousand words”. How does this compare to his usual word count over 90 minutes?

“I wish I could answer that,” he says, sounding genuinely disappointed in himself. “I have never counted.”

Thank fuck for that.

Consider this...

If given the choice between Motson & Lawrenson on BBC or George Hamilton & Ray Houghton on RTE, I will make a real attempt to ensure that I'm listening to the BBC commentary.

You simply would not believe how bad the RTE commentary is.

Perhaps as a direct result of this, I actually think Motson and Lawrenson are alright.

Consider this...

If given the choice between Motson & Lawrenson on BBC or George Hamilton & Ray Houghton on RTE, I will make a real attempt to ensure that I'm listening to the BBC commentary.

You simply would not believe how bad the RTE commentary is.

Perhaps as a direct result of this, I actually think Motson and Lawrenson are alright.

Jesus wept, Motson and Lawrenceson are like two old ladies who've never met before talking in a hospital ward awaiting cataract ops.

Used to be a ledge, now he's just senile. About time he was put out to pasture. At least with MOTD his embarrassing mistakes can be edited out.

Can't quite get over his FA Cup Final "It's been disallowed" moment.

I'd rather have these two to be honest...

:)

nevermind, if everyone chooses our favourate video site and types in Ronaldinho Eng they will see....a certain Mr Ray Hudson commentating. 

Cringeworthy!