Jonas Gutierrez signed from Mallorca on 5 year deal

magorific

I'd love him to be our equivelent to City's Martin Petrov last season, also shows that the midfield is recognised as a priority.

Saw him in a few matches over the last few seasons, seems a very shrewd purchase.  Look forward to seeing him at Donny! :aww:

I'm sorry but I'm still at a loss to get your meaning. But to answer your question, I was and remain concerned, that concern will not be removed until we have a squad that can cope with a full season of PL football and perform to a level we should expect. We are a long way off being there and since you are keen on dates pre-season starts in 5 days !

The season is 6 weeks away, what happens in 5 days makes no difference to a lot of players.  Some players have been playing internationals up until the last few days and will not be back in training.

The importanace of a full pre-season is often ignore by a lot of people in the game. If you have the bulk of you squad there from day one, you have the ability to ensure that you can control their conditioning, no matter how fit they are to fit in with the style you want to play a good coach will know how to best prepare his players for the new season.

The early days in pre-season are also the times when you start building that team spirit, for new signings not to be around during this period is a huge missed opportunity.

With international commitments it's becoming harder and harder to get everyone starting back on the same day. So this ideal is perhaps a little difficult to aspire to but if I was the boss I would want my squad together in full ASAP.

Guest Heneage

Anyone hear the bird on Look North try to be continental when pronouncing his name?

sound like she was chewing on a wasp.

The only significant thing about the summer transfer window is when it closes.

Nothing else matters.

Exactly.

So why are you quoting the the July 1st crap then, I'm honestly confused ??

If the only thing that's important about the window is when it closes, then why the hell have you been complaining all this time? Just wait until the transfer window actually closes, and then you can properly evaluate the board and KK on the players that they've signed and whether they've addressed our wants and needs. Complaining now is not only futile, but it's f***ing painful to read because a little patience, much like many people suggested earlier, will be rewarded. The board and KK aren't stupid, so they know players must be signed and the team must be improved. This signing is a start, and I'm sure there'll be more to come. Just be patient and wait until it closes before claiming the end of the world is near.

I wasn't aware that I was complaining ? Unless of course you assume like others on here that being concerned is the same thing.

We've made mistakes in transfer windows before, actually many times before. I along with a few others hoped the new ownership heralded a move away from the previous mistakes, it may still, but we have had no evidence to this point that the much needed squad building had begun hence the concern when no activity came from the club.

Please stop playing this 'impatient' card. It's not about that at all, it's about changing recruitment policy. Signing players early makes sense from almost every aspect, and gives you the luxury of not being sucked into bidding wars late in the window.

As for your point about waiting to the end of the window to comment, well frankly isn't the whole point of this forum to discuss NUFC, share our hopes and fears with each other ? What a dull place this would be, if we could only comment on things after they happen and we weren't free to speculate ?

I'm sorry but I'm still at a loss to get your meaning. But to answer your question, I was and remain concerned, that concern will not be removed until we have a squad that can cope with a full season of PL football and perform to a level we should expect. We are a long way off being there and since you are keen on dates pre-season starts in 5 days !

The season is 6 weeks away, what happens in 5 days makes no difference to a lot of players.  Some players have been playing internationals up until the last few days and will not be back in training.

The importanace of a full pre-season is often ignore by a lot of people in the game. If you have the bulk of you squad there from day one, you have the ability to ensure that you can control their conditioning, no matter how fit they are to fit in with the style you want to play a good coach will know how to best prepare his players for the new season.

The early days in pre-season are also the times when you start building that team spirit, for new signings not to be around during this period is a huge missed opportunity.

With international commitments it's becoming harder and harder to get everyone starting back on the same day. So this ideal is perhaps a little difficult to aspire to but if I was the boss I would want my squad together in full ASAP.

but then again i'd rather buy the right players on the lastr day of the window rather than the wrong ones for the sake of having a full pre-season with them.

Totally agree, if you have to hold out for the right player then so be. However if your buying early the liklihood is that you be getting your top choices.

Don't get me wrong , I am not promoting buying for buying sake.

Totally agree, if you have to hold out for the right player then so be. However if your buying early the liklihood is that you be getting your top choices.

Buying your first choice doesn't always work out, I was over the moon when we failed to sign John Salako.

Any evidence to back this up? just want to understand your reasoning sir.

Mint way to do business this is.  If nothing else, it proves that the current regime knows the media for exactly what it is and is staying away.  :clap:

Surprised we haven't had "unproven and unexciting signing from a foreign league who probably won't adapt" or "signing a player who bought out his own contract provfes that we're skint" from the doomsayers yet.