Smith II - The nightmare continues.

thewellander

I actually have a tiny bit of hope for him and think he may do a reasonable job as our 'battling midfielder' this season. As to be frank he has no 'outstanding' qualities other than his energy levels and his passion. However, if he is our 'battling midfielder' he will miss a game after every 5, because we know what he is like for bookings.

Someone from this forum has got Smith spot on, he isn't really a battling player more a player who will foul whoever is closest to him. Parker battled, he ran round (I mean more than just spin round) and hassled. Smith just kicks anyone he can reach.

I would have to admit Parker was far better in this role...despite him not really being the answer either. I'm just forever an optimist, and like to see a bit of passion and a work ethic. 2 things Smith has...the only 2 things. So I don't really want to write him off before the season begins....especially since w e currently have a really small squad.

I would love all our players to come good, Smith included, but I just can't see what he offers to the team. He can't beat a man, he can't finish or even shoot, he's got no real pace. All he has is a good engine. Well my car's got a good engine but I wouldn't want the fucker playing in midfield for us.

Guest BooBoo

I actually have a tiny bit of hope for him and think he may do a reasonable job as our 'battling midfielder' this season. As to be frank he has no 'outstanding' qualities other than his energy levels and his passion. However, if he is our 'battling midfielder' he will miss a game after every 5, because we know what he is like for bookings.

Someone from this forum has got Smith spot on, he isn't really a battling player more a player who will foul whoever is closest to him. Parker battled, he ran round (I mean more than just spin round) and hassled. Smith just kicks anyone he can reach.

I would have to admit Parker was far better in this role...despite him not really being the answer either. I'm just forever an optimist, and like to see a bit of passion and a work ethic. 2 things Smith has...the only 2 things. So I don't really want to write him off before the season begins....especially since w e currently have a really small squad.

Smith was a real let down last season but at the moment we cant really be selling anymore of our players. Having said that, some of the criticism he's had has been a bit OTT. At least he gives a shit, unlike other wasters like Duff and Emre.

Smith was a real let down last season but at the moment we cant really be selling anymore of our players. Having said that, some of the criticism he's had has been a bit OTT. At least he gives a s***, unlike other wasters like Duff and Emre.

Totally agree.

TBF, he can't play any worse than what he did last season so i am hoping for an improvement! I think he would prob play best on the right side of three in midfield, rather than a third striker! He just needs to score 1 goal to take a little bit of pressure off him! i think if he can play in midfield win the ball back, and pass it to someone 5 yards away, he'd do a great job!

We just need to stop him shooting at goal now......

My hope for Alan Smith is that we sell him.

I wasn't happy when we were linked with him and I really wasn't happy when we bought him. He did even worse last season than I was expecting. I expected him to be a striker who didn't score but a striker who didn't shoot? I wasn't expecting that. Neither was I expecting the constant fouls he committed in dangerous positions. Jack of all trades, master of none. What Smith means to most NUFC fans was summed up when he came on as a sub against Chelsea. The score was 0 - 0 in the first half and then we saw Smith waiting to replace an injured Viduka at the start of the second half. The realisation that we were going to get nothing out of the game hit everyone watching. Playing Smith is like giving the other team an extra man.

If we don't sell Smith I hope Keegan realises how diabolical he is and never uses him.

I confidently predict this will be the season that sees Alan Smith finally realise his full potential as the prolific goal-scoring genius we all want him to be. :)

Smith was a real let down last season but at the moment we cant really be selling anymore of our players. Having said that, some of the criticism he's had has been a bit OTT. At least he gives a shit, unlike other wasters like Duff and Emre.

Said before, I don't believe he does give a shit unless it involves kicking someone.

Rather have a experianced Alan Smith to come on at 1-0 up away from home than a in-experianced Carroll / LuaLua type of player tbh, even though hes shite.

Only way i would sell is if we could replace him as a centre mid, and a forward along with at least £4m for himself.