What are your expectations for next season?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The way I look at it, we're in a similar situation to when Bobby took over. It's going to take a season or two to sort out the mess left behind by a succession of failed managerial appointments, each sacked after tearing apart and half rebuilding the squad of their predecessor.

So as long as it looks like foundations are being laid, I'm content. Only a fool would expect instant success or the immediate transformation of the squad we've got into contenders for Europe. I'll be happy if we make the top half.

The club has done a great job in lowering my expectations to just a top half finish. It wasn't long ago when NUFC were a top 4 team, then we slipped to being just a euro contender now clearly most of us see us as nothing more than a mid table team. It's kind of depressing really.

What's your expectation for next season then?

Like I said top half, nothing more nothing less, yet another dull season. Of course that can all change with a couple of signings that set the pulses running. Still waiting for that though and not holding my breath that it will happen.

Cheers. I actually completely missed the word 'my' in your initial sentence, sorry.

Unbelievable! spotted my error too. ;)

Geez, you actually spotted that? It was online for what, 2 seconds when I noticed afar had already clarified.. Are you some sort of bionic admin?

The way I look at it, we're in a similar situation to when Bobby took over. It's going to take a season or two to sort out the mess left behind by a succession of failed managerial appointments, each sacked after tearing apart and half rebuilding the squad of their predecessor.

So as long as it looks like foundations are being laid, I'm content. Only a fool would expect instant success or the immediate transformation of the squad we've got into contenders for Europe. I'll be happy if we make the top half.

Ozzie, not sure we've ever agreed on anything before but you've nailed it with this like, 100%. 

Only proviso I would add is we seemed to be skint at that time and robson balanced the books for a couple of seasons before the bellamy/robert summer spend.  I just can't see why we would need to balance the books right now, especially with TV money the way it is and having a billionaire owner.

It's back to the uncertainty though isn't it?  If we knew we were looking at a couple seasons of clearing out shit and building a tidy squad before making a break for the top with a big spend then I'd be fine with that, problem is we don't know that yet.

Anyways, situations are comparable indeed on the playing side.

Agree with most of this - however, the difference between now and 1999 is that there is far more money(and therefore competition for players)in other clubs like Spurs, Everton, Pompey etc., and that, coupled with the ability some of them have to offer European Football, means we have a much more difficult task to rebuild the side.

I suspect a finish between 8th-11th unless there are some major signings in crucial areas by the start of the season

Break top ten for me, (providing Ashley will get his wallet out for a decent player or two this summer) anything else would be a huge failure.

We have a talented squad of players, should we add a handful of immediate first teamers and get the best out of what we have we should be looking to push us high up the top half of the table as possible.

That said, depending on what our rivals do in the market I wont be throwing a tantrum if we end up behind, the big four, Spurs, Villa, Everton, Mancity etc...

We finished on 43 points last season.  I expect us to be at least 10-12 points better off at a minimum.  I will be disappointed if we end up with less than 53-55 points.  Whether that is good for 8th or 11th doesn't really bother me.  Would all these people drawing an imaginary line under 10th place really be that bothered if we were 10 pts better off?  I hope not.

I'm not confident of that sort of improvement without further strengthening of the squad, but that should be the target.  It shouldn't be too difficult.  Don't lose to anyone but the top 4 at home, beat the bottom 4 away from home, obligatory six points from Spurs and you are there.

Agree with most of this - however, the difference between now and 1999 is that there is far more money(and therefore competition for players)in other clubs like Spurs, Everton, Pompey etc., and that, coupled with the ability some of them have to offer European Football, means we have a much more difficult task to rebuild the side.

I suspect a finish between 8th-11th unless there are some major signings in crucial areas by the start of the season

again, agree 100% - nothing season expected, possibly a brief flirtation with a uefa cup spot before the carpets whipped out from under us

still time for fat mike to change those expectations though!

kind of worried by how our start might affect things as well mind; right now you'd be foolish to assume people are not going to be a bit down when the season kicks off having likely expected more in terms of transfers than we appear to be going to get...combine that with a potentially difficult (i hesitate to say catastrophic) start & it could have us in dire trouble with the wolves at the door

still in homage to dave a battling result at man u first day and we'll be on the way!!!  come ooooooooooooooooon

Top ten, max.  Europe? laff.

We've got to stop living in the past and start living in the future.  We're a team for the future now and this upcoming season will hopefully make a lot of people readjust their view of NUFC into what we actually are - a team that can hopefully be in the top 10.  I think we can do it, and possibly even push for an Intertoto Cup spot, but realistically we're in the top 10 comfortably with a bunch of blossoming kids on our bench.

With current squad, and our awe inspiring signings so far :kasper:, tenth at best.

Realistically somewhere between 15th and 10th. Dependant upon our start.

Think we will be way behind..Manure, Chelski, Arsenal, Liverpool ....and behind.. AVilla, Spurs, Everton, Man City, Portsmouth,  fighting with....West Ham, Blackburn, Boro for 10th spot.

Rest of clubs SHOULD be well below us but you never know.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest scottishmag54

Depends who we sign if we get the 4 signings keegan wants then maybe in the uefa place with current suqad about 10th.

I'll go for eighth place, I reckon we'll sign two defenders and a few more young 'uns and the not so young ones we have will start to come good.

The long term startegy starts this season, consolidation...