Oba's mother tragically dies

biggs

Typically decent comments from Keegan;

"Meanwhile, the United boss said that Oba Martins would be given as long as he needed to return following the death of his mother in Nigeria.

"I told him to go home," he added.

It's a terrible thing to lose your mother. He'll come back when he's ready, however long it needs to take.

"He's a very fit boy and has done all his pre-season and will not be lacking too much in that department.""

AFTER GOD, IT WAS MUM

…Newcastle hit man, Obafemi Martins, says ‘it’s hard to believe mum is gone’

By GBOLAHAN DADA and AYODELE OJO

Monday, July 28, 2008

Photo: Sun News Publishing

More Stories on This Section

There was uneasy calm at the home of Newcastle striker, Obafemi Martins, as sympathizers trooped in to pay their last respect to his mother, who passed on last Thursday at the age of 62.

Overwhelmed by compassion, the former Inter Milan player could not hold back tears as he cried all through when the remains of his mother was being buried at the Victoria Garden Cemetery (VGC) in Lekki, Lagos, in the presence of all her children.

Martins described his mother as a precious jewel, whose death came too sudden. He said he never expected that his mother would die now because she was sound and hearty.

Alhaja Monsurat Martins died in tragic circumstances in the early hours of Thursday morning while fleeing her Lagos apartment after a petrol tanker burst into flames near the popular Orile Iganmu Bus Stop where her home is situated.

It was reported that the 62-year-old woman died as a result of shock that was caused by the burnt petrol tanker.

Obafemi was, understandably said to be deeply hit by the news, as he was known to be closely attached to his mother.

"I am in shock," Obafemi began. "I never expected she would die now. A day to her demise, we spoke at length on her dreams and aspirations for the people living around our house at Orile Iganmu. My mother had planned to make her neighbours comfortable, but you can see what death has caused.

"I would miss her dearly because she was everything to me.

She was my pillar and source of inspiration. Her presence brought a lot of goodwill to me. In fact, for me, after God, it was my mum.

"If I would come back to this divide again, I would make it through her. She was my life. I don’t know what I would have become without my mother," he said.

Martins said he did not believe the story when her sisters called him from Lagos.

"I never believed the story until I arrived Lagos. When my sisters called and broke the news to me, I did not believe them. But when they insisted, I made up my mind to come home to see things for myself."

Condolence messages had continued to troop in like torrents both from home and abroad since Alhaja’s demise on Thursday morning. Apart from his friends in Europe, football pundits across the country had continued to pay their last respect to Martins’ mother even before she was lowered to the grave last Friday.

Neighbours described the late Monsurat Martins as a good and caring mother, who used her resources to make people happy, adding that they were happy that she encouraged Obafemi to become useful to the nation with the round leather game.

Meanwhile, Martins former club, Inter Milan, had sent their condolence to their former striker, asking him to bear the irreparable loss with fortitude.

A statement on Inter’s official website reads: "FC Internazionale and all our supporters extend our deepest condolences to 'Oba' and his family."

The 23-year-old scored 28 goals in 88 appearances for the Nerazzurri between 2002 and 2006, before his €15million move to Newcastle.

Martins has been given a compassionate leave by Newcastle and he has been left out of Kevin Keegan's squad for the friendly at Doncaster. He is also likely to miss the Mallorca Summer Cup matches against Hertha Berlin and Real Mallorca.

A Newcastle spokesman said: "Oba has flown back to Nigeria on compassionate grounds to be with his family at what is a very sad time for them. "Everyone at the club extends their greatest sympathies to Oba and his relatives."

I know it was mentioned in the official match thread, but for Oba to be amongst the 25 for Friday's match is just extraordinary, given the circumstances.  I know how hard it was for me when my mom died, and I can't believe he's back and in contention for Hertha. 

Truly a legend.  Let's make sure his efforts are fully appreciated.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/08/01/keegan-tribute-to-united-striker-oba-martins-72703-21448141/

“Oba will not play here because he’s had an injection in his knee.

“He won’t play in these two games, but we still wanted him to come with us. He can do some running, and there are some nice runs where we are.

“We took the view that he and Shay Given, who has been injured, could come with us, because they’re very close now to coming back into full-time training.

“It’s just time with Oba. He’s got to let this settle for four days. He can run on it, but he’ll miss the two games.”

“His attitude has been absolutely fantastic. He’s trained very, very hard, and he’s been very focused.

“Obviously his training was interrupted by the tragic death of his mother, but he came back quickly, and went straight into training again.

“I’m delighted with all the players, but not least those who could cut corners, but have not.”

Decent article in the Times today:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article4446654.ece

What with the trials of Joey Barton and tribulations in the transfer market, it has been a testing summer for Newcastle United, but some perspective was provided recently. Nine days ago, Obafemi Martins was telephoned by his sisters in Lagos with the news that their mother had died suddenly. “She was everything to me,” the striker said yesterday.

Alhaja Monsurat Martins, 62, is reported to have died of shock when a petrol tanker burst into flames near her apartment. Given compassionate leave by his club, Martins flew to his native Nigeria for the funeral. Resolutely professional, he returned in time to accompany the Newcastle squad on their pre-season tour to Majorca, even though a knee injury will prevent him from playing.

“I am in shock,” Martins said. “I never expected she would die now. A day before she died, we spoke at length about her dreams and aspirations for the people living around our house at Orile Iganmu. My mother had planned to make her neighbours more comfortable. I will miss her dearly. She was my pillar and source of inspiration. Her presence brought a lot of goodwill to me.

“In fact, for me, after God, it was my mum. She was my life. I don’t know what I would have become without my mother.

“I never believed the story until I arrived in Lagos. When my sisters called and broke the news to me, I did not believe them. When they insisted, I had to go home to see for myself.”

Martins trained separately in the scorching heat at Real Mallorca’s training ground yesterday morning, jogging with Derek Wright, the Newcastle physiotherapist, while his team-mates stretched and limbered up in preparation for last night’s 1-0 friendly defeat to Hertha Berlin. Martins’s dedication earned a warm tribute from Kevin Keegan.

“His attitude has been absolutely fantastic,” the manager said. “He’s trained very, very hard and he’s been very focused. Obviously, his training was interrupted by the tragic death of his mother, but he came back quickly and went straight into training again. I’m delighted with all the players, but not least those who could cut corners, but have not. Oba is a credit to his family.”

Martins will also miss tomorrow’s game against Mallorca, but he and Michael Owen should be fit for PSV Eindhoven’s visit to St James’ Park on Wednesday. “Oba will not play here because he’s had an injection in his knee,” Keegan said. “He won’t play in these two games, but we still wanted him to come with us. He can do some running, and there are some nice runs where we are. It’s just time with Oba. He’s got to let this settle for four days.”

Newcastle have finally reached agreement with Deportivo La Coruña over the signing of Fabricio Coloccini, who will become Keegan’s fourth addition of a frustrating close season. After a long stand-off with the Spanish club, the 26-year-old Argentina centre back will cost the Tyneside club €12 million (about £9.5 million), a club-record fee for a defender.

Marcelo Lombilla, Coloccini’s agent, had threatened to report the La Liga club to Fifa over their handling of the transfer, accusing Augusto Lendoiro, the Deportivo president, of demanding more money when a settlement had already been negotiated. “There is an agreement between Deportivo and Newcastle,” Lombilla said.

Keegan did not elaborate, beyond saying that the transfer was “ongoing” and Coloccini “plays for Argentina, so he must be good”. He also refused to add to the brief statement that Newcastle issued in the wake of Barton’s FA charge for violent conduct over his training-ground assault on Ousmane Dabo, his former Manchester City team-mate. “A lot of people have had their say and everyone’s entitled to their opinions,” Keegan said. “All we’ve got to do is get Joey match-fit.”

• 3 weeks later...

the guys mint, seems to truly enjoy being at the club

still i wished we'd sold him for 7m or a packet of quavers like some clowns on here were advocating eh?  might do some digging at the end of this season for some thread bumps 'cause i think he's gonna have an excellent season under KK

the guys mint, seems to truly enjoy being at the club

still i wished we'd sold him for 7m or a packet of quavers like some clowns on here were advocating eh?  might do some digging at the end of this season for some thread bumps 'cause i think he's gonna have an excellent season under KK

Non-one will ever be good enough for some people.