Keegan on transfers

Guest hindu times

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

However, the transfer has not been agreed by the Magpies, and while Keegan admitted Coloccini had been at St James Park to watch Newcastle's 2-1 win over Valencia he failed to reveal if the transfer had been completed.

"I can't tell you anything at the moment," he said.

"He was here, that's for sure. I like his hair, it's like mine in the seventies, but I can't tell you any more than that."

There were promising signs for Newcastle supporters as Damien Duff and James Milner were both on target as the Magpies came from a goal down against the Copa del Rey winners to win 2-1.

Keegan was more forthcoming on his club's plans for the future.

Despite being content with his side's performance against one of the top side's in Europe, the former England boss admits he is looking to add new faces to the squad before the Premier League kicks off next week.

"I'd like to think that once (the Coloccini deal) is completed then two more players will arrive, and then we'll see what happens," he said.

"I think there'll be a lot of comings and goings late on as clubs try to re-balance and somebody will come available who will be of interest.

"I think we'll be in there pitching just like everybody else."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=international_feed/08/08/09/SOCCER_Eng-Newcastle_United_Quotes.html&TEAMHD=soccer

However, the transfer has not been agreed by the Magpies, and while Keegan admitted Coloccini had been at St James Park to watch Newcastle's 2-1 win over Valencia he failed to reveal if the transfer had been completed.

"I can't tell you anything at the moment," he said.

"He was here, that's for sure. I like his hair, it's like mine in the seventies, but I can't tell you any more than that."

There were promising signs for Newcastle supporters as Damien Duff and James Milner were both on target as the Magpies came from a goal down against the Copa del Rey winners to win 2-1.

Keegan was more forthcoming on his club's plans for the future.

Despite being content with his side's performance against one of the top side's in Europe, the former England boss admits he is looking to add new faces to the squad before the Premier League kicks off next week.

"I'd like to think that once (the Coloccini deal) is completed then two more players will arrive, and then we'll see what happens," he said.

"I think there'll be a lot of comings and goings late on as clubs try to re-balance and somebody will come available who will be of interest.

"I think we'll be in there pitching just like everybody else."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=international_feed/08/08/09/SOCCER_Eng-Newcastle_United_Quotes.html&TEAMHD=soccer

that to me very much sounds like "we want to have a mass unveiling of talent"

that to me very much sounds like "we want to have a mass unveiling of talent"

Absofuckinglutely.

He sounds pretty sure on Coloccini + 2, then see who else comes available after that.

exciting comments!

Three coming in this week (coloccini included) will set us up nicely. Then if a decent deal comes along after that we will take it.

Sounds like we might end up with the numbers we crave. Hope we get the three he wants in this week.

"I'd like to think that once [the Coloccini deal] is completed then two more players will arrive, and then we'll see what happens,"

Sounds to me like he knows of three that are imminent. Maybe I'm just being hopeful, but when he says "then we'll see what happens" he's referring to late in the window as he discussed.

Sounds to me that he's got a number set on three including Coloccini, that's what he'd be comfortable at, however if there was a quality player to become available then he'd have a look.

I can't wait to see who we've got lined up, because so far Guthrie and Bassong have shown promise, Jonas looks really good and Coloccini comes very highly-rated it seems. Yes yes, pre-season and all that.

Four signings (including Colo...) nobody was shouting about before they happened. Excited to see who else we want who hasn't been mentioned.

I can't wait to see who we've got lined up, because so far Guthrie and Bassong have shown promise, Jonas looks really good and Coloccini comes very highly-rated it seems. Yes yes, pre-season and all that.

Four signings (including Colo...) nobody was shouting about before they happened. Excited to see who else we want who hasn't been mentioned.

Aye, i'm loving that. Silence from the club is blatantly the way to go. If we'd even whispered anything about Gutierrez, we could have been forced into a bidding war with someone like Portsmouth. It's what would have happened under the new regime.

That said... i'm actually a tad relieved that Coloccini's agent couldn't keep his trap shut... if there'd been transfer silence from the Guthrie deal to now, people would be in wrist-slitting uproar.

There's a fine line though between not talking to the press and shitting up the fans. I'll bet you a ton of money that loads of SJP regulars (the ones who aren't internet geeks) had no clue about Coloccini beforehand, and were starting to worry again. And that's not to mention all the people who believe the numerous tales of unrest and stuff.

There are many who don't just want to see what the club are doing, they NEED to see it. If not, they get uncomfortable.

at the same time,just cos we've got colo (if we have? :coolsmiley:) don't get too carried away with keegans coments. he has an emotional gob and what he wants sometimes gets mixed up with what he believes.

for the record i think at least one more "straight into the first 11 signing" any more would be nice.

There's a fine line though between not talking to the press and shitting up the fans. I'll bet you a ton of money that loads of SJP regulars (the ones who aren't internet geeks) had no clue about Coloccini beforehand, and were starting to worry again. And that's not to mention all the people who believe the numerous tales of unrest and stuff.

There are many who don't just want to see what the club are doing, they NEED to see it. If not, they get uncomfortable.

Actually you do have a fair point there. My dad is a prime example; he's a die-hard Newcastle fan but he's fairly old fashioned tbf. He occassionally reads the papers (and has an irritating habit of taking some press guff as gospel), and had been getting itchy feet - ranting and raving away at me for being so optimistic about player recruitment when we're "not actually doing anything". Keeping targets under wraps is a very good thing, but i suppose you could say we've been a bit too quiet.

We seem to have lost a bit of club/fan communication since Mort left though, it has to be said. I've only ever seen one statement from this Llambias fella.

Actually you do have a fair point there. My dad is a prime example; he's a die-hard Newcastle fan but he's fairly old fashioned tbf. He occassionally reads the papers (and has an irritating habit of taking some press guff as gospel), and had been getting itchy feet - ranting and raving away at me for being so optimistic about player recruitment when we're "not actually doing anything". Keeping targets under wraps is a very good thing, but i suppose you could say we've been a bit too quiet.

We seem to have lost a bit of club/fan communication since Mort left though, it has to be said. I've only ever seen one statement from this Llambias fella.

the fan'club communication has been spot on......just it takes some getting used to after years of rumour,misinformation and inuendo. just put up a sign...2we'll conduct our business in private...when we sign a player who can play, we'll play him"

the fan'club communication has been spot on......just it takes some getting used to after years of rumour,misinformation and inuendo. just put up a sign...2we'll conduct our business in private...when we sign a player who can play, we'll play him"

It's about getting used to the new culture. The noise level no longer corresponds with the activity level.

Two more signings would mean 6 players coming in altogether, which I don't think many would have argued with a month ago. They do need to be decent quality players who will be competing for a first team place though.