Pre-season: decimated and rendered almost completely useless by...

Dave

Latest update from the depor forum

http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com/news.php

€2 MILLION IS THE DIFFERENCE FOR COLOCCINI

31 Jul 2008 -- Depor Sport wrote on its Wednesday’s issue that Lendoiro’s demands to Newcastle for defender Coloccini are for €12.5 million plus objectives. So far, the Toons are only offering €11 million. Meanwhile, Momo has cancelled his contract with Deportivo, right now he’s waiting to arrange a deal with Xerez in order to announce his departure.

A lot has been written abut the possible departure of Fabricio Coloccini. It’s known that Newcastle United is offering €11 million plus an additional million for objectives. And now the demands of president Lendoiro have been revealed. Depor Sport, the official paper of the club, wrote on Wednesday that Depor’s president is asking for €12.5 million plus €1.5 million for objectives, in resume the transfer of the Argentinean has been valued in €14 million by Lendoiro.

The situation has angered the agent of the player, Marcelo Lombilla. The problem is that Lendoiro promised to open the doors to the ex-Milan defender in case that a €10 million offer appears. Lombilla worked three months in order to have that offer, and when he presented it, Lendoiro was risen the limit. For the moment all the sides are keeping their position. Depor’s president decided to stay in La Coruña and Lombilla in Madrid. Meanwhile, Newcastle’s squad is playing a couple of friendly games in Spain.

It’s also known that Coloccini isn’t the only choice in Newcastle’s agenda. According to the rumours, they are also interested in Nicolás Burdisso from Inter Milan FC. It seems the English side could offer €6.5 million for Burdisso in case the deal for Coloccini fails.

Are we still held up cause of the fee? damn... so frustrating.  In some ways I just wish we'd pay the extra and get a very good defender.  In other ways I'd admire that we are not being held to ransom.

Problem is that if we miss out on Coloccini I'm not sure we can find a player with the same amount of talent who is willing to join us.

Modric granted (and has been done to death), but Arda and Gomis haven't gone anywhere have they? So how exactly have they failed?

Barring Modric, Jo, Keane and maybe Crouch, I can't think of many decently-sized deals that have gone through so far. Does that mean no more will happen? Does it 'eck.

The source was Coloccini's agent btw. We have supposedly been working on the fee for months. Knew there'd be something wrong with it like, now they're indecisive. :lol:

At the end of the day, you're just impatient for transfers. Simple as that.

Bloody hell.. If we bid for them a while ago is it not safe to say that bid failed considering these players are not currently in our squad?

Oh, and now you are rather predictably excusing me of being impatient.. I am not, still fully expecting we are going to get the players in that we need as I have said before in this very thread. However, wouldn't you say it is kind of irronic for you to start a thread about a disappointing preseason and things not looking rosey for the start of the season as you were the one preaching patience? BTW Dave, you have said before you would be critical of the club if both the first team and squad willl not be strengthened significantly before the end of the transfer window, have you not? Kevin Keegan himself has stated his ambition as finishing 4th and 8th; looks to me like there is still a lot of work to do.. With regards to negotiating for 3 months and in the end paying more than the asking fee in my book does not constitute decisive business dealing. If it does to you, allow me to ask you± do you work in government by any chance? ;)

31 Jul 2008 -- Depor Sport wrote on its Wednesday’s issue that Lendoiro’s demands to Newcastle for defender Coloccini are for €12.5 million plus objectives. So far, the Toons are only offering €11 million. Meanwhile, Momo has cancelled his contract with Deportivo, right now he’s waiting to arrange a deal with Xerez in order to announce his departure.

A lot has been written abut the possible departure of Fabricio Coloccini. It’s known that Newcastle United is offering €11 million plus an additional million for objectives. And now the demands of president Lendoiro have been revealed. Depor Sport, the official paper of the club, wrote on Wednesday that Depor’s president is asking for €12.5 million plus €1.5 million for objectives, in resume the transfer of the Argentinean has been valued in €14 million by Lendoiro.

The situation has angered the agent of the player, Marcelo Lombilla. The problem is that Lendoiro promised to open the doors to the ex-Milan defender in case that a €10 million offer appears. Lombilla worked three months in order to have that offer, and when he presented it, Lendoiro was risen the limit. For the moment all the sides are keeping their position. Depor’s president decided to stay in La Coruña and Lombilla in Madrid. Meanwhile, Newcastle’s squad is playing a couple of friendly games in Spain.

It’s also known that Coloccini isn’t the only choice in Newcastle’s agenda. According to the rumours, they are also interested in Nicolás Burdisso from Inter Milan FC. It seems the English side could offer €6.5 million for Burdisso in case the deal for Coloccini fails.

Are we still held up cause of the fee? damn... so frustrating.  In some ways I just wish we'd pay the extra and get a very good defender.  In other ways I'd admire that we are not being held to ransom.

Problem is that if we miss out on Coloccini I'm not sure we can find a player with the same amount of talent who is willing to join us.

Have a look at the title of the Coloccini thread.

:lol:

Check the date!

Modric granted (and has been done to death), but Arda and Gomis haven't gone anywhere have they? So how exactly have they failed?

Barring Modric, Jo, Keane and maybe Crouch, I can't think of many decently-sized deals that have gone through so far. Does that mean no more will happen? Does it 'eck.

The source was Coloccini's agent btw. We have supposedly been working on the fee for months. Knew there'd be something wrong with it like, now they're indecisive. :lol:

Bloody hell.. If we bid for them a while ago is it not safe to say that bid failed considering these players are not currently in our squad?

Oh, and now you are rather predictably excusing me of being impatient.. I am not, still fully expecting we are going to get the players in that we need as I have said before in this very thread. However, wouldn't you say it is kind of irronic for you to start a thread about a disappointing preseason and things not looking rosey for the start of the season as you were the one preaching patience? BTW Dave, you have said before you would be critical of the club if both the first team and squad willl not be strengthened significantly before the end of the transfer window, have you not? Kevin Keegan himself has stated his ambition as finishing 4th and 8th; looks to me like there is still a lot of work to do.. With regards to negotiating for 3 months and in the end paying more than the asking fee in my book does not constitute decisive business dealing. If it does to you, allow me to ask you± do you work in government by any chance? ;)

does that mean getting a player straight away by paying way over the odds may be decisive...............but is that good ?

does that mean getting a player straight away by paying way over the odds may be decisive...............but is that good ?

Well, top quality players are rather unique aren't they; it's not like they are commodity and if you fail to buy one at Sainsburry's you can just go to Morrison's to get another.. If you have identified such a player (one of only 11 you can have out on the pitch representing your club) as available and attainable (and not many are in our case due to obvious reasons mentioned before) I would suggest you negotiate until a satisfactory decision is reached for all parties involved. If we fail to do so in a significant number of cases than maybe we are not offering enough to do the deals we need to do, and while others may be happy with that (not being held to ransom etc) I won't. A football club is a business, so will have to keep an eye on its cost, but just like any other business it will also have to offer its customers (us!) a good product/service or we will spend the money elsewhere, so I will refer again to my pennywise/poundfoulish statement.

Have a look at the title of the Coloccini thread.

Yeah I know we had agreed a fee, but we had done so previously and they asked for more, thought they were asking for more AGAIN, but realise now that this is an older statement.

Coloccini is not currently in our squad. But we appear to have been going after him for a long time and appear to have got him. Until it's confirmed we went for Arda and Gomis and they subsequently don't come here, I can't see how we've 'failed' to get them. Did we fail to get Ronaldinho?

I don't think there's that much work to do to finish in the top eight. I suppose that's the difference between us at the end of the day. :thup:

First team is what it is a mid table team, the squad is not big enough, the so called talent behind the youth team is not there. Signing the next Wayne Rooney means fuck all atm as he is 15, signing back up fooking leftbacks is not the answer either, every signing we make has to be a player that comes into starting XI atm, the vast majority of these so called squad players that some say we need are already at the club imo.

First team is what it is a mid table team, the squad is not big enough, the so called talent behind the youth team is not there. Signing the next Wayne Rooney means f*** all atm as he is 15, signing back up fooking leftbacks is not the answer either, every signing we make has to be a player that comes into starting XI atm, the vast majority of these so called squad players that some say we need are already at the club imo.

for all keegans talked about back up left backs and such i'd be very surprised if after coloccini his priorities werent in the middle of midfield and up front.

First team is what it is a mid table team, the squad is not big enough, the so called talent behind the youth team is not there. Signing the next Wayne Rooney means f*** all atm as he is 15, signing back up fooking leftbacks is not the answer either, every signing we make has to be a player that comes into starting XI atm, the vast majority of these so called squad players that some say we need are already at the club imo.

signing youngsters is a rolling thing, you do it when you find them and when they become available to sign so they don't end up elsewhere.  I'm sure it has no relation to what we spend on first team players.

for all keegans talked about back up left backs and such i'd be very surprised if after coloccini his priorities werent in the middle of midfield and up front.

Lets hope so.

signing youngsters is a rolling thing, you do it when you find them and when they become available to sign so they don't end up elsewhere.  I'm sure it has no relation to what we spend on first team players.

I think Dennis & Jeff have been like a couple nonces & spending to much time looking at young boys.

signing youngsters is a rolling thing, you do it when you find them and when they become available to sign so they don't end up elsewhere.  I'm sure it has no relation to what we spend on first team players.

I think Dennis & Jeff have been like a couple nonces & spending to much time looking at young boys.

Aren't we all guilty of that?

lol... perhaps Dennis uses his small stature and dresses up like a school boy to make it easier to gain their trust during the "grooming".

Aren't we all guilty of that?

I am not................but I have been looking at your ma on Sky Channel 955, I may give her a buzz later on. :razz: O0

lol... perhaps Dennis uses his small stature and dresses up like a school boy to make it easier to gain their trust during the "grooming".

As you mention his small stature Dennis could look them in eye & sa....who the fuck am I kidding the "crossed eye lion" couldn't look anyone in eye with his pork pies.

Will you grant me Aimar as well?

Every club has struggled to bring in players quickly this window. Assuming Coloccini comes in, if we can get another decent midfielder in we'll have done OK. It's still to early to tell on that front imo, the fact the whole window has been fairly quiet indicates to me that there may be something of a frenzy in the closing week or two (by comparison to what has gone before, anyway). I agree with the OP that injuries have been the most frustrating aspect of this pre-season so far.

Every club has struggled to bring in players quickly this window. Assuming Coloccini comes in, if we can get another decent midfielder in we'll have done OK. It's still to early to tell on that front imo, the fact the whole window has been fairly quiet indicates to me that there may be something of a frenzy in the closing week or two (by comparison to what has gone before, anyway). I agree with the OP that injuries have been the most frustrating aspect of this pre-season so far.

The injury percentage is probably not going to get much better, as the season progresses.  History tells me it is quite likely to get worse, if anything.

We do not want to (just) increase the size of our squad, we want (need) to increase the size AND the quality levels. What we have now (fit or injured) is not of sufficient quality to mount a serious challenge, even for Keegans modest target of 5th, this season.

That is what pre-season has made clear so far.

We are likely to be in for one very tough season ahead.  Very tough indeed.

Wow just catching up wih this thread after a couple of days. A good old bitch session that I missed out on. Blah. :)

It won't surprise too many of you that I think Unbelieveable and Tsunami have made some excellent points here.

I don't think I can add a lot to what those two have said.

One thing that kind of gaulled me though was, this acceptance that Arsenal and Manure are games we are gonna loose. I'm as pessimistic as the next bloke but surely we have to go into these games with a bit of hope if not expectation ? Yes we are a million miles away from Manure and Arsenal but so too were the likes of the Smoggies and Reading and both got results there last season.

It was clear to almost everyone with a passing interest in NUFC that this close season the squad and first team needed way more than just a touch up, it needed a lot of work. We simply can not cope with injuries, that is clear and is something that should have been identified and rectified long before now.

We could do a Villa next year and get extremely fortunate with injuries but given our previous it's unlikely.