Mike Ashley Exclusive Interview

James

Is this going out in all news agents/supermarkets etc?

Where I live in North Newcastle, there were plenty of copies in our small newsagents this morning, so it looks like it will be available throughout the entire Newcastle/North East England, area.

It should be available on-line though.  Do we know for sure (yet) whether it is going to be available to buy online in the club shop, or not?

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Publications/0,,10278,00.html

Thats only for ordering the Match programme I cant see anything for the magazine.

"So you're still enjoying it all?"

"I'm absolutely loving it. Yes, you'll be seeing me for a while yet. In the crowd, in my shirt and with my kids beside me."

Least he could do would be give some sort of reassurance that he's here to stay, for fuck's sake. :huff:

:lol:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/08/12/nufc-owner-mike-ashley-lifts-lid-on-takeover-72703-21516411/

NEWCASTLE United owner Mike Ashley has given more fascinating details of his Toon takeover.

Ashley has revealed how he ended up buying Sir John Hall’s stake in the club and why he believes the Magpies are the one of “the Premier League’s jewels”.

The billionaire tycoon says he was shocked by the state of the club’s finances when he took the helm and tells how more than £25m is still owed to other clubs for past transfer deals.

Ashley has hit back at claims he only wears his black and white shirt and sits with the Toon Army as a gimmick, saying he feels the same frustrations they do.

And he denies ever having showdown talks with Kevin Keegan, as he explains how the manager’s relationship with Dennis Wise works.

Ashley’s full interview is published in Newcastle United’s new official magazine, which is available in shops now.

---------------------------------------------------------

How I bought United

ASHLEY has revealed the mechanics of his Toon takeover.

“It was the quickest I’ve ever done a deal of that size – we’re talking only a few days. I was told there was an opportunity to acquire Sir John Hall’s stake in Newcastle United, that he may be a seller but only if somebody acted without any delay because he didn’t want to cause any form of disruption for the club.

“The last thing Sir John wanted was a long drawn-out affair because he feared that wouldn’t be good for Newcastle United.

“The deal was put to me on a Saturday. By the Monday, in advance of speaking to Sir John, I’d deposited the equivalent of money we hoped he would accept for his shares at the lawyers and on the Tuesday the deal was effectively done.

“By Wednesday (May 23, 2007) the announcement was public and that was the first anyone, including the media, knew about it. Once I was told about it, it was done very quickly. Sir John was ready to act if I was and it was a very straightforward process.

He adds: “Maybe I could have bought a smaller club, but it just wouldn’t have been the same challenge. It’s like settling for the high jump when really you want to do the pole vault – you want more excitement so you go higher.

“I was being offered the chance to own one of the jewels, one of the diamonds of the Premier League. There was no hesitation, why would there be?”

The state of the finances

ASHLEY says he was surprised by the state of Newcastle United’s finances when he took over.

“Financially, the club was in a difficult position because I really do think that it had over-extended itself.

“We first heard about the potential sale on a Saturday and had done the deal by the Wednesday, so if you are asking if we did due diligence before buying then the answer has to be no.

“But would I change anything about that process? No. Do I regret anything? Absolutely not. What I will add is that one of the most unfortunate things about Newcastle United finances at the time was the amount of money still owed on players signed in comparison to the amount of income that was due off players who had gone.

“There is still £27m net to pay on transfers that were done before I came. So probably in the latter years before we came in could you argue that the club was beginning to lose its way. It has also already taken upfront payments from commercial deals and sponsorships which didn’t help us at all.

“It seemed as though the club was in a very downward spiral, one it would have found very hard to come out of.

“Apart from the purchase of the club and the associated costs that come with that, I’ve put in a further £100m to reduce debts and expect no interest is paid on that. Yet still we have the outstanding debt of the monies still owed on player transfers.”

Why I sit with the fans

ASHLEY has told why he loves sitting with the Toon Army in his black and white shirt.

“I wear my strip and I go in with the fans because that’s how I’ve always gone to football and I enjoy it.

“Nothing beats the atmosphere of being in with the fans.

“The fans who make the away trips are so fanatical every game feels like a cup game and it’s tremendous to be part of it.”

Asked how he feels when the supporters react negatively to the team’s performance, he added: “Honest answer? There were times last season when the fans were singing certain things at certain games and I wanted to join in, I really did.

“I feel like they do. I’m in with the fans, and if we are not playing well I take this side because I’m thinking to myself: ‘How can this be? We are Newcastle United and we should be doing better than this’.”

How I get on with KK

ASHLEY has revealed how he came to recruit Kevin Keegan as manager and gives his view on the club’s structure.

“Again, it all happens so quickly. And it was another no-brainer. I took a call from someone who said ‘do you realise Kevin Keegan may be interested in the Newcastle United job again?’

“At first I thought it couldn’t be true. I was out of the country but my reply was ‘if he is interested then tell him I’ll meet him anywhere as soon as I get back’.

“It couldn’t have been an easier choice.”

Asked about how Keegan’s role fits in with that of Dennis Wise, he said: “Kevin is a great manager and he is happiest working with the players.

“But there’s so much involved in running a club that you must make sure people aren’t spread too thinly. How could Kevin devote all his time to the first team if he also had to look after the Academy? That’s where Dennis Wise comes in.”

Is that all from that magazine TT?

(sorry i forgot to cut the link (now in)) Just a part i reckon via the ronnie gill, just thought it was a more structured read than whats been put up previously.

Is that all from that magazine TT?

(sorry i forgot to cut the link (now in)) Just a part i reckon via the ronnie gill, just thought it was a more structured read than whats been put up previously.

You're ok mate, I just wondered if it was all in there or whether you'd cobbled bits together from various sources.  :)

Cheers, it does read a bit better like that.  :thup:

Guest Howaythetoon

Read the full interview today and from it I get the impression Ashley is here for the long haul. I think the sudden availability of the club, Ashley's sudden jump in wealth on the back of Sports Direct's successful IPO and a yearning for some fun in the form of something tangible he can really share with his kids and mates long-term away from the business world all made this unlikely 'partnership' almost inevitable. If it wasn't Newcastle I think he'd have bought another football club that become available.

Like the man said in the interview if NUFC was bought simply to make money off he could have invested his money into a million and one other things to bring him returns of more wealth.

For me his motives are now clear. This isn't a brand acquisition or a money spinner, but something he can claim as his for him and his kids and mates to share in, like a Villa in sunny Spain. NUFC is his reward for all his hard work.

That isn't to say it is merely his play thing. He's a businessman and a very successful one. He has his head firmly screwed on and knows you can't manage what is effectively a business like some toy. Hence the team (KK, Wise, Llambias, Jimenez, Vetere etc.) he's put in place at Newcastle, people he claims or believes will run the club for him (and indeed the fans) in the right way which is for the club to become financially self sufficient off the pitch and to be successful on it. His wishes as owner.

As such he said he won't be taking any money out of Newcastle United, that all money from the club will stay within the club. He also said he won't be putting any more in.

He does acknowledges that in the current climate however, extra funds may need injected hence why he doesn't rule out and would like to invite investors into the club, although I don't think he would be prepared to give up control in the club or even a stake. I think commercial partnerships and marketing opportunities are what he's really referring too rather than co-ownership ala QPR. Interestingly he's looking closer to home (i.e Newcastle and the North East) for such investors or that's where he wants it to come from ideally.

Talking about other clubs and other owners he likens himself to a middleweight (financially) but he's building the boxer up (the resources) to compete with bigger and richer clubs. He wants Newcastle to follow the Arsenal template and places an emphasis on the academy and scouting which I'm sure we all agree are or were two areas of the club which for years went neglected and hardly justified their place in the scheme of the club's structure.

He also says Keegan has full control of transfers although he doesn't expand on whether that includes getting to talk to the players or whether the manager has any say in the fee or contract side of things. He does say they all get on well though and that the so-called showdown talks in London was absolute rubbish, along with pretty much everything the press have written about the club since he took over.

He clearly has no time for the press and I found his comments regarding them pretty telling. He says the more he and the club do not respond to these "lies" and "rubbish" the more foolish they will look and the more fans will see through the crap they spout. I agree fully and I'm certain in Ashley we have an owner who has the balls, will and sense of humour to stick to his guns where the media is concerned. The will to keep them out or at arms length, the balls to not reply to every bit of media talk or to ignore it fully and the sense of humour to stick two fingers up ala announcing Collocini via the back of his shirt.

Overall the interview said an awful lot to me at least and helps paint a rather more positive outlook for the future and indeed of Ashley the owner of Newcastle United Football Club.

Actions speak louder than words of course but if its action we want I think:

Spending over £200m of your own cash to buy the club and wipe out debt

Initially sticking with the previous board's appointment and handing that manager a net average that beat the total net average spend of the previous regime

Sensationally bringing back Kevin Keegan

Restructuring the coaching, academy, scouting and media side of the club

Signing a whole host of young talent at home and abroad for the academy

Opening up dialogue with fans

Looking into singing sections and more affordable seating for kids and families

Signing Guthrie, Bassong, Gutierrez and Collocini to dat this close season while handing new contracts to N'Zogbia, Butt, Taylor and others thus far since he took over....

Is action, no?

I think the man deserves some slack and I for one am excited not only about the coming season but our future. He has my support and backing and I shall reserve judgment and see what happens over the course of a few years and not a few months, something I haven't always done previously, which was wrong of me and not at all sensible.

Of the clubs that have changed hands in recent years, I think in Ashley we've bagged one of the better new owners. Whether he proves more successful than the Halls and Shepherd remains to be seen. To date he's done a lot of good and importantly we can all see progress, if not exactly on the pitch then off it. I trust KK to deliver on the pitch.

Well said.  :thup:

Not everything at the club is 100% spot on but we're moving in the right direction, slowly but surely. Getting rid of players who contributed fuck all whilst taking millions (no exaggeration) out of the club every year can only be seen as a good thing. I like the policy of trying to get good young players in and develop them into first-teamers but you need the occasional diamond to make things happen. We've got a good squad and we're not far short of making a decent stab of going for Europe. Keep most of the players fit for most of the games and we'll do well.

The glass is very much half-full for me. :)

I think the man deserves some slack and I for one am excited not only about the coming season but our future. He has my support and backing and I shall reserve judgment and see what happens over the course of a few years and not a few months, something I haven't always done previously, which was wrong of me and not at all sensible.

:clap: for all of it, but especially that last comment. Spot on.

As others have said... :clap:

The only thing to add from my perspective (which I dont think you covered) is that he has stated there is money for the players that are right for NUFC, and players that Keegan believes are right.  The funds are not unlimited otherwise he'd go out and buy Ronaldo tomorrow, but he infers that there is a substantial amount to bring the right players to this club. 

This inspires me with confidence considering the money flinging antics we have done in the past, that we will make not only the right buys, but those who actually want to play here for Newcastle United.  This should not be translated as cost cutting, merely getting commited and worthwhile buys.

Guest Howaythetoon

Not everything at the club is 100% spot on but we're moving in the right direction, slowly but surely. Getting rid of players who contributed f*** all whilst taking millions (no exaggeration) out of the club every year can only be seen as a good thing. I like the policy of trying to get good young players in and develop them into first-teamers but you need the occasional diamond to make things happen. We've got a good squad and we're not far short of making a decent stab of going for Europe. Keep most of the players fit for most of the games and we'll do well.

In his interview he said the role of Wise and Co is to find Newcastle United the next generation of talent locally, nationally and internationally, players that will one day be as good as your Rooneys and Ronaldos that we can develop and bring into the team instead of always having to compete to buy such players when they are the real deal as we are often forced to do, often failing due to financial and other factors such as appeal. We may have tried to buy Rooney but we couldn't compete with Man Utd. We could have had Ronaldo but we chose Viana instead. Shearer who ended up costing the club a world record fee was also missed out on. Ashley wants us to be the first to such players when they are kids.

Now we are like every other club in that aspect. However unlike a lot of clubs especially those we aspire to, we have never really put in place a structure to identify these talents much less bring them here, develop them and above all else, profit from (in terms of becoming stars on the pitch for the team).

Locally we even trail behind Sunderland and Middlesbrough when it comes to Geordie kids. They have several Geordies on their books that are regarded as a class above the Geordie kids (I've seen some of them in action and we're missing out again) we have on our books. That's down to many things, namely a poor reputation when it comes to developing kids and due to poor scouting when it comes to identifying them. That and the attitude at the club's end has always been "all Geordie kids want to play for Newcastle". That may be true but most kids are selfish (in a good way) and will go wherever it is best for them, especially when parents who support the club know how unlikely anyone coming through will make it into the first-team and become a star, even those with reasonable talent. I know I wouldn't send my kid to Newcastle's academy at current as it would be the wrong place for him in terms of development and likely chance of succeeding. Boro would be my first choice followed by (spit) Sunderland, I'm afraid.

Thankfully steps are being taken to rectify that and I actually know some inside stuff on this because my nephew plays for a local junior club whose key staff (owners, coaches and management) were invited to SJP in the summer to meet Wise and Co to discuss how Newcastle United could help them, their coaches and more importantly, the talent at these clubs and believe you me there is lots of talent here in Newcastle, most of whom end up at Boro or Sunderland sadly. I know several parents, all season ticket holders who took their kids out of Newcastle's academy and took them to Boro or Sunderland for example. One lad who is only 9 is something sensational, he's at Sunderland.

What chance does Newcastle stand if the club can't even compete for local talent?

That has to change and will and this is something Ashley more than anyone, driven by financial common sense if anythiong, is pushing and will push very hard. It will take years to reap dividends but it is a must and is arguably the single biggest concern at the club.

From what I gather of the meetings Wise has had with several junior clubs across Newcastle is that the club will become more involved in football in the community in general and will open up to the community in terms of facilities and coaches (players and club coaches going to junior clubs to do a few hours expert coaching etc. or inviting junior clubs to Benton and SJP) as well as forge strong relationships which Newcastle only ever had with certain clubs (Wallsend Boys Club for example) which created resentment in other clubs. That and Newcastle's lack of "after care" when discarding youngsters. In short they'd tap up a youngster from a local club, take him to the club and not let that kid play for his junior club, then after a year or so they'd discard him and the junior club more often than not takes the kid back, a kid that is destroyed and according to one or two people I've spoken to, came back as worse players due to poor coaching at Newcastle). Junior clubs have resented that as they don't get compensated, they have always asked "work with us", now it is NUFC asking these clubs to "work with us"

That is Wise's main role actually from what I've picked up, his team (the scouts and coaches) responsible for identifying talent and developing them, Wise basically controls all that which I'm told KK has some input in too although I don't know what. Maybe he's the face to it, i.e. come and meet KK.

All this has long been overdue and is much needed.

There are also other things in the pipeline which I'm not permitted to talk about as they are top secret and all clubs have been sworn to secrecy but I'm very excited about our club in terms of the role it will play in the community (see the Newcastle Foundation for example, that's just the start)  :coolsmiley:

Not everything at the club is 100% spot on but we're moving in the right direction, slowly but surely. Getting rid of players who contributed f*** all whilst taking millions (no exaggeration) out of the club every year can only be seen as a good thing. I like the policy of trying to get good young players in and develop them into first-teamers but you need the occasional diamond to make things happen. We've got a good squad and we're not far short of making a decent stab of going for Europe. Keep most of the players fit for most of the games and we'll do well.

In his interview he said the role of Wise and Co is to find Newcastle United the next generation of talent locally, nationally and internationally, players that will one day be as good as your Rooneys and Ronaldos that we can develop and bring into the team instead of always having to compete to buy such players when they are the real deal as we are often forced to do, often failing due to financial and other factors such as appeal. We may have tried to buy Rooney but we couldn't compete with Man Utd. We could have had Ronaldo but we chose Viana instead. Shearer who ended up costing the club a world record fee was also missed out on. Ashley wants us to be the first to such players when they are kids.

Now we are like every other club in that aspect. However unlike a lot of clubs especially those we aspire to, we have never really put in place a structure to identify these talents much less bring them here, develop them and above all else, profit from (in terms of becoming stars on the pitch for the team).

Locally we even trail behind Sunderland and Middlesbrough when it comes to Geordie kids. They have several Geordies on their books that are regarded as a class above the Geordie kids (I've seen some of them in action and we're missing out again) we have on our books. That's down to many things, namely a poor reputation when it comes to developing kids and due to poor scouting when it comes to identifying them. That and the attitude at the club's end has always been "all Geordie kids want to play for Newcastle". That may be true but most kids are selfish (in a good way) and will go wherever it is best for them, especially when parents who support the club know how unlikely anyone coming through will make it into the first-team and become a star, even those with reasonable talent. I know I wouldn't send my kid to Newcastle's academy at current as it would be the wrong place for him in terms of development and likely chance of succeeding. Boro would be my first choice followed by (spit) Sunderland, I'm afraid.

Thankfully steps are being taken to rectify that and I actually know some inside stuff on this because my nephew plays for a local junior club whose key staff (owners, coaches and management) were invited to SJP in the summer to meet Wise and Co to discuss how Newcastle United could help them, their coaches and more importantly, the talent at these clubs and believe you me there is lots of talent here in Newcastle, most of whom end up at Boro or Sunderland sadly. I know several parents, all season ticket holders who took their kids out of Newcastle's academy and took them to Boro or Sunderland for example. One lad who is only 9 is something sensational, he's at Sunderland.

What chance does Newcastle stand if the club can't even compete for local talent?

That has to change and will and this is something Ashley more than anyone, driven by financial common sense if anythiong, is pushing and will push very hard. It will take years to reap dividends but it is a must and is arguably the single biggest concern at the club.

From what I gather of the meetings Wise has had with several junior clubs across Newcastle is that the club will become more involved in football in the community in general and will open up to the community in terms of facilities and coaches (players and club coaches going to junior clubs to do a few hours expert coaching etc. or inviting junior clubs to Benton and SJP) as well as forge strong relationships which Newcastle only ever had with certain clubs (Wallsend Boys Club for example) which created resentment in other clubs. That and Newcastle's lack of "after care" when discarding youngsters. In short they'd tap up a youngster from a local club, take him to the club and not let that kid play for his junior club, then after a year or so they'd discard him and the junior club more often than not takes the kid back, a kid that is destroyed and according to one or two people I've spoken to, came back as worse players due to poor coaching at Newcastle). Junior clubs have resented that as they don't get compensated, they have always asked "work with us", now it is NUFC asking these clubs to "work with us"

That is Wise's main role actually from what I've picked up, his team (the scouts and coaches) responsible for identifying talent and developing them, Wise basically controls all that which I'm told KK has some input in too although I don't know what. Maybe he's the face to it, i.e. come and meet KK.

All this has long been overdue and is much needed.

There are also other things in the pipeline which I'm not permitted to talk about as they are top secret and all clubs have been sworn to secrecy but I'm very excited about our club in terms of the role it will play in the community (see the Newcastle Foundation for example, that's just the start)  :coolsmiley:

he's back ladies!  :smitten:

riveting stuff HTT. hope we'll find out soon what the top secret stuff is  :thup:

I only hope measures are being put in place to bring the best coaches to Newcastle if we are going to start developing our own kids in the next decade. We need to identify the talent, home or abroad, and nurture it properly. Shit coaches will turn out shit players, generally speaking. I've got the patience to wait for the first few names coming through but I wouldn't mind seeing the odd star being brought in to supplement the first XI.

There has to be a blend imo. We're a long way behind the likes of Arsenal in terms of Youth development but theirs is the model we should be using.

Well I have been very critical of Ashley more from a sense of wanting to see some action point of view.

But I have to say, reading some of this stuff really lifts my spirits as far as our ownership is concerned. I liked the fact that he admits to not doing his due dilligence, and delighited to hear that he wouldn't change a thing.

He does sound like he really cares, from the things he says about being in with the fans but also in a way the lack of due dilligence, if he were only here to turn a quick buck, then throwing yourself in like he said he did is no way to go on.

If we pull off a couple more quality signings, on top of the Colocinni deal, then I'll be ready to sign up for with the Ashleyites, how do I go about doing that Dave ?

Guest Howaythetoon

Midds, agreed. I think we'll add ready made quality to the side, indeed due to saving fortunes on talent because we'll be bringing most of our own through the ranks, we'll have more money to buy the ready made talent that somehow escaped our clutches. That's the idea anyway.

Guest Howaythetoon

I also think by developing our own talent if you like therefore reducing the outlay to buy it in, a lot of the money saved will go towards lowering prices and making SJP more accessible and affordable to fans, which Ashley talks about in his interview. For example some tickets were increased, in order to decrease others, namely the family enclosure tickets.

I also think by developing our own talent if you like therefore reducing the outlay to buy it in, a lot of the money saved will go towards lowering prices and making SJP more accessible and affordable to fans, which Ashley talks about in his interview. For example some tickets were increased, in order to decrease others, namely the family enclosure tickets.

All good stuff HTT but we also need to think of the here and now and invest further in the first team. There hasn't been enough investment yet in the starting 11, this pre-season, if Colocinni is the last one trhough the door, then yet another season of mediocrity awaits and that could hurt the club financially more than signing another 10mill player would.

As long as the club do not neglect that while focussing it's efforts on the youth, then the ownership will get my backing.

Guest Howaythetoon

All good stuff HTT but we also need to think of the here and now and invest further in the first team. There hasn't been enough investment yet in the starting 11, this pre-season, if Colocinni is the last one trhough the door, then yet another season of mediocrity awaits and that could hurt the club financially more than signing another 10mill player would.

As long as the club do not neglect that while focussing it's efforts on the youth, then the ownership will get my backing.

We are though, we've signed 4 players to date with the chance of some more coming in too. There is no rule in football saying you have to spend X figure on each player or have to bring in X number. Remember even if we signed 10 players at 10m each there is no guarantee things would change just because we add more bodies and spend more. As Ashley and KK keep saying its about the right players and of course opportunity. No point spending for the sake of it and I'm sure we're working as hard as any to go into the season on the best terms possible.

As far as I'm concerned N'Zogbia and Duff, two players who didn't perform well or figure too much could be like two new signings, same with Barton if he gets his act together. Viduka and Owen too. There is so much potential to come. For me the side needs balance more than anything, rather than depth of squad, because when you look at all the players you could argue we have 2 players for each position, more than most. We have an unbalanced side though. That's what we need to address. I'm confident we will by the close of the window.

We are though, we've signed 4 players to date with the chance of some more coming in too. There is no rule in football saying you have to spend X figure on each player or have to bring in X number. Remember even if we signed 10 players at 10m each there is no guarantee things would change just because we add more bodies and spend more. As Ashley and KK keep saying its about the right players and of course opportunity. No point spending for the sake of it and I'm sure we're working as hard as any to go into the season on the best terms possible.

I never suggested we should spend for spending's sake. But we have two gaping, and I mean gaping holes in our squad, they have been there all close season TBH, but the pre-season games probably emphasised the scale of the problem. A creative midfielder and a big strong lad to play up front who can stay out of the physio room and is of premiership standard. We can get by without a back up LB or RB,  and although not perfect the DM situation will suffice but if we go into this season without rectifying that, then I will be mighty disappointed with the recruitment team. This could cost 10mill per player, even more but it could also be 3 or 4 million per player, I don't really care which as long as it's done.

I never suggested we should spend for spending's sake. But we have two gaping, and I mean gaping holes in our squad, they have been there all close season TBH, but the pre-season games probably emphasised the scale of the problem. A creative midfielder and a big strong lad who can stay out of the physio room and is of premiership standard. We can get by without a back up LB or RB,  and although not perfect the DM situation will suffice but if we go into this season without rectifying that, then I will be mighty disappointed with the recruitment team. This could cost 10mill per player, even more but it could also be 3 or 4 million per player, I don't really care which as long as it's done.

Agreed on the positions specified and I too will be disappointed if the situations there aren't rectified though I'm sure it won't be through lack of trying if they're not sorted.

Midds, agreed. I think we'll add ready made quality to the side, indeed due to saving fortunes on talent because we'll be bringing most of our own through the ranks, we'll have more money to buy the ready made talent that somehow escaped our clutches. That's the idea anyway.

:nods:

That's the way forward. Broaden the scouting network, identify the players, get them into the club for next to nothing, coach them well, hoy them into the first XI. That's the golden goose and every club knows it. Spend is minimal and the potential rewards are huge.  :thup:

I just hope Keegan is as good as Wenger. :)