Mike Ashley Exclusive Interview

James

really happy that Big Mick has come out and said it for all to see. It tends to expose the media for the brain dead story concocting twats they are,he's selling up, we've got no money,he dosn't back kev, blah blah. Hopefully now our own lot will stop believing the scare mongering bollocks and get behind the team(i doubt that ). The weekend papers will have fuck all in good about us thats for sure, probably something about Joey Bartons impending kangaroo court/F.A hearing.I am still excited about the coming season i hope that this interview has gone someway to spreading that excitement.

Yeah, cos some words in a completely partisan publication make EVERYTHING alright, and he MUST mean everything he says, he wouldn't just make stuff up to try to be populist and get us off his back.

You are right, he is making it all up.

A few bits and pieces not already mentioned.

- Still £27m to pay on players signed before he arrived

- Prefers to be in the stand with the fans because that is how he has always watched football (when watching England).  Also because he like to take his kids with him.

- Wanted to join in with some of the things fans were singing last season.  Goes through the same emotions as the fans.

- Not looking to sell would would welcome investment

- Wants to mirror the Arsenal model.  Great academy/youth team.  Play wonderful football.  Have a good team now but pay great attention now to the next generation.  Striking the right balance between building for the future and not neglecting the present.

- Keegan happiest working with the players on the training ground but so much involved in running a football club that must make sure people are not spread too thinly.  Communication between everyone is great and it all worked well in the signing of Gutierrez.

- KK very particular about players he wants.  KK does not stop emphasising that he wants players with the heart and passion to play for Newcastle and its supporters.

- Currently have the 5th highest wage bill in the Premier League so would like our league position to reflect that.  Expects to see a better team this season and signs of progression.

- Likes going out and talking football in the pubs.  Bank interest talk etc is Monday to Friday stuff.

- Not here to take money out of the clun or make a profit but have to regularly break even.  If the club is successful off the field then more resources to compete on the field.

Obviously all positive stuff that fans want to hear and I suppose the cynical will not be convinced but still somewhat reassuring.

Still £27m to pay on players signed before he arrived

Fucking hell, quite a lot eh.

I suppose Owen would of been a fair bit left to pay, same with Luque.

Not very surprising what he is saying in the interview and must surely clear up any doubts many people seemed to have about selling etc. Unless people think he is lying.

A few bits and pieces not already mentioned.

- Still £27m to pay on players signed before he arrived

- Prefers to be in the stand with the fans because that is how he has always watched football (when watching England).  Also because he like to take his kids with him.

- Wanted to join in with some of the things fans were singing last season.  Goes through the same emotions as the fans.

- Not looking to sell would would welcome investment

- Wants to mirror the Arsenal model.  Great academy/youth team.  Play wonderful football.  Have a good team now but pay great attention now to the next generation.  Striking the right balance between building for the future and not neglecting the present.

- Keegan happiest working with the players on the training ground but so much involved in running a football club that must make sure people are not spread too thinly.  Communication between everyone is great and it all worked well in the signing of Gutierrez.

- KK very particular about players he wants.  KK does not stop emphasising that he wants players with the heart and passion to play for Newcastle and its supporters.

- Currently have the 5th highest wage bill in the Premier League so would like our league position to reflect that.  Expects to see a better team this season and signs of progression.

- Likes going out and talking football in the pubs.  Bank interest talk etc is Monday to Friday stuff.

- Not here to take money out of the clun or make a profit but have to regularly break even.  If the club is successful off the field then more resources to compete on the field.

Obviously all positive stuff that fans want to hear and I suppose the cynical will not be convinced but still somewhat reassuring.

Sounds very good, especially that last bullet point..

Did he mean that there is still £27 million to be paid now for transfers before he arrived, or that this was the amount owing on transfers when he took over?

The actual text is:

"....one of the most unfortunate things about Newcastle United finances at the time was the amount of money still owed on players signed in comparison to the amount of income that was due off players who had gone.  There is still £27 million net to pay on transfers that were done before I came."

Did he mean that there is still £27 million to be paid now for transfers before he arrived, or that this was the amount owing on transfers when he took over?

The actual text is:

"....one of the most unfortunate things about Newcastle United finances at the time was the amount of money still owed on players signed in comparison to the amount of income that was due off players who had gone.  There is still £27 million net to pay on transfers that were done before I came."

I thought that this would all be gone after he cleared the clubs debts.

Perhaps it was just immediate debts rather than drip payments on fee's paid previously?

I'd be interested to see how much we're owed in comparison. Can't be much.

The actual text is:

Perhaps it was just immediate debts rather than drip payments on fee's paid previously?

He paid off less than £80 million, I think it was something like £77 million and the club had more than £100 million.

The actual text is:

He paid off less than £80 million, I think it was something like £77 million and the club had more than £100 million.

Ah fair enough, I hadn't realised that Mick.

Either way, the £27m has got to be far more manageable now compared to a couple of years ago.

Ah fair enough, I hadn't realised that Mick.

Either way, the £27m has got to be far more manageable now compared to a couple of years ago.

The money owed on players doesn't carry interest charges so as long as it's paid on time we're OK with it.

mostly sounds good, though i'd judge him on his actions rather than on his words. Coloccini is a good start but sept 1st, 3 transfer windows sine he's arrived, is the time to make a proper assessment of how he's done here.

two points - ashley said the club "doesnt owe a buck to anyone" in an earlier interview, now he says there's still this 20 odd million to be owed. read into that what you want.

saying he wants the club to break even could be read in a number of ways - it makes sense that we're not losing money year on year, but it also tallies with the impression that he wants newcastle to be independent of his finances and self-sufficient ie he wont be putting his hand in his pocket.

saying he wants the club to break even could be read in a number of ways - it makes sense that we're not losing money year on year, but it also tallies with the impression that he wants newcastle to be independent of his finances and self-sufficient ie he wont be putting his hand in his pocket.

Breaking even has to be the aim of any club, even Chelsea have set a date that they want to break even by.

Reading the whole thing I suspect it's meant to be a comedy column. I personally find it humourless but never mind. As if the silly bint would have Ashley's phone number in her contacts list.

She mingles in the same circles as the likes Phillip Green,Alan Sugar,Mike Ashley,Bill Kenwright, Paul Kemsley

"Still £27m to pay on players signed before he arrived"

Thanks Mr Shepherd.

Staggered payments for players is often how clubs sign people. What's the problem with having money outstanding on players we bought?

I'm waiting impatiently for NE5 to rock up into the thread with his "old board was better.......shepherd is a legend......we have no ambition.....where were you in 1987......ashley is a clown.....we have 55,000 in every week, we should sign players ahead of Man U......" repeat ad nauseum....

Thanks Mr Shepherd.

Staggered payments for players is often how clubs sign people. What's the problem with having money outstanding on players we bought?

Depends how much money we have outstanding which is due to us for players we sold in that period. General wisdom has it that we tended to buy high and sell low under The Fat One.

Thanks Mr Shepherd.

It's a question of how much money, though. The larger the sum, the less to spend on players in the present and future. This is quite a considerable amount -- twice Roeder's net spend.

I guess SJH could see that Shepherd was running out of financial breathing space.

Guest neesy111

Thanks Mr Shepherd.

It's a question of how much money, though. The larger the sum, the less to spend on players in the present and future. This is quite a considerable amount -- twice Roeder's net spend.

I guess SJH could see that Shepherd was running out of financial breathing space.

well when we made a 20 million loss after signing luque and owen, you would of thought it was because of the transfer fees, clearly not though

we would of went bankrupt without ashley no question in my mind now

The actual text is:

I think he included the incomings when he says 27 million.