Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

He struggled apparently

Did he bollocks. Should have pulled the trigger when he made a surging run down the right hand side though, tried to pull it back instead.

Yeah, had to much time to think about it I thought, still did OK to lay it on to Nolan (and leave him to do the rest...)

45 mins of being standed yet he won a lot in the air and held the ball well at times, could have let fly a few times but looked much better once Shola joined him up top. Nice little flick inside to Nolan for Geremi's goal.

45 mins of being standed yet he won a lot in the air and held the ball well at times, could have let fly a few times but looked much better once Shola joined him up top. Nice little flick inside to Nolan for Geremi's goal.

Wasn't that Shola? :lol:

Was it? I thought it was Nile.. was other end of pitch and I aint seen highlights.

Was it? I thought it was Nile.. was other end of pitch and I aint seen highlights.

Yeah it was Shola.

Guest BooBoo

He did okay last night but looked like exactly what he was- a young kid trying to play against seasoned professionals and physically he didn't seem quite up to it yet.

He needs to get on the same weights as Shola who now looks like a ten ton truck would bounce off him.

Ranger: : 'I can make up for United's Shola blow'

Published Date:  31 August 2009

NILE Ranger says he is ready to step into leading scorer Shola Ameobi's boots for Newcastle United.

Newcastle fear five-goal Ameobi could be out for up to EIGHT weeks with a stress fracture of a bone in his foot.

Ameobi's injury has added urgency to the club's efforts in the transfer market between now and 5pm tomorrow, with caretaker boss Chris Hughton without his three senior strikers for tonight's home game against Leicester City.

And Hughton, as revealed in Saturday's Gazette, is targeting a forward and a defender as a priority.

However, United are not expected to be do much business before the transfer window closes despite the size of Hughton's squad, with loan signings remaining the most likely option.

Ameobi's absence, and injuries to Andy Carroll and Xisco, means 18-year-old Ranger is set for a second successive start, having made his full debut in the Carling Cup win over Huddersfield Town at St James's Park last Wednesday.

Ranger was prolific for United's reserve and youth teams last season, and he is hungry for his first senior goal, believing his pace and directness can be an asset to Hughton.

"Hopefully, I've given them an option," Ranger told the Gazette. "I want to be available to come on and help the team.

"I hope I can give the team something different. There are lots of injuries at the moment, so I've got to stay on my toes."

And the Londoner is confident he can help Newcastle overcome Leicester, and climb to the top of the league.

Ranger added: "It's five games unbeaten, so it's so far, so good, and I hope it stays that way.

"We've got Leicester City, and hopefully we'll go out there and win."

Another striking possibility for Hughton is to push Alan Smith – who has played up front for England, Manchester United and Leeds before being converted into a midfielder – into attack, and that is an option he is considering tonight.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/Ranger--39I-can-make.5602704.jp

Its what we have wanted to see him get his chance,m I hope he takes it and proves he can be a class act, I just do not want to see him isolated again, he will be uptop alone, midfield have to get up and support him.

I think its a good thing that our young players will be getting a chance now. We just have to forgive them their mistakes and not be harsh on them in games. Encouragement is the way to go.

With him, carrol, vuckic, Lua Lua, Kadar, Krul, Ferguson, Baheng, Donaldson etc we have some very talented naive youngsters but with a bit of confidence and experience they may be our saviour over the next season or so. Would love to see one grab a place permanently in this team like