Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

Step it up Nile, ease the pain. Really has his chance now.

He's no closer to getting his chance than he has been for the last few games, he's still behind Shola, Best and Lovenkrands.

fucking hell, what a depressing realisation :lol:

I was encouraged, from the way the subs were handled last night, that he seemed to have moved ahead of Lovenkrands. On performance, I think he's also moved ahead of Best who, despite his greater experience, didn't get as involved. I'm not sure if Pardew will see it the same way though.

Even a short run of three or four games could improve Ranger quite considerably, if only by getting him more relaxed.

Longer term, he needs to work on his reading of the game. It often looks like he's watching what's going on around him and then reacting, rather than anticipating. There were a few times last night where his marker was quicker to the ball simply because they read the play.

Glad he is up the pecking order ahead of Lovenkrands and on last nights performance he got no support from Best and they both got pretty shocking service from midfield .when he gets that goal i think we will see a different player so hope he starts against Arsenal as they are a team i think he will like playing against as they are not as physical as others.

I think that Pardew has realised that Best upfront alone won't work and that in the longrun Loven is shit.

I think he might decide to give Ranger a chance as he will be the hungrier one and also the one capable of developing. He has the most potential to score goals for us this season if he gets a run of games and manages to get one to improve is selfesteem.

He was pretty woeful last night - but I have to say it was more the service than anything else.  Think we need to work what he is going to be (above and beyond an impact sub).  He certainly isn't strong enough nor his hold up play good enough for him to be a target man.  I think he is much better playing off he main striker and playing on the shoulder of the last defender.

Definitely needs to improve his positional play though and general awareness.

Guest toonlass

Not defending Lovenkrands at all, who I think is now past it but probably capable of getting one or two goals this season, but what did people see last night in Ranger that gave them an indication he might be a premier league footballer? I think all of our striking options are mid-championship at best! (And Best is mid league one)

It's a bit of an indictment of English football that we look at players like Nile Ranger and conclude that he has a 'big future', like. On pure footballing ability he makes Lee Hughes look like some sort of fusion of Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi.

I have liked Nile Ranger since I saw him playing for Southampton under 18's (or whatever) and I think he can go a long way but IMO he needs to be Stronger. He won a couple of headers last night (when jonas was right behind him) and then everything else was pretty mediocre tbh.

He has got an unusually small head as well which worries me.

Guest toonlass

You can see with Ranger that he's always been the best kid in the team he's played in. He just doesn't seem to have the discipline or knowledge to go with his talent. He ran about like a headless chicken last night, like the kid on a school team who knows he's good and so tries to beat the opposition team all on his own.

You can see with Ranger that he's always been the best kid in the team he's played in. He just doesn't seem to have the discipline or knowledge to go with his talent. He ran about like a headless chicken last night, like the kid on a school team who knows he's good and so tries to beat the opposition team all on his own.

I'm yet to see any of this.

Similar player to Walcott and Lennon... loads of pace, a bit lightweight, not the best touch/delivery/composure.

With time and coaching both Walcott and Lennon have come on massively and would both walk into our team.

I think Ranger has more potential than either of those two as he has a natural eye for goal.

Give the lad time. No wonder our record of developing talent is shit. You'd think after Andy Carroll (and Jose, and Colo, and Bassong, and N'Zogbia, and Milner, etc) people would learn to STFU and be patient.

Guest icemanblue

Similar player to Walcott and Lennon... loads of pace, a bit lightweight, not the best touch/delivery/composure.

With time and coaching both Walcott and Lennon have come on massively and would both walk into our team.

I think Ranger has more potential than either of those two as he has a natural eye for goal.

Give the lad time. No wonder our record of developing talent is shit. You'd think after Andy Carroll (and Jose, and Colo, and Bassong, and N'Zogbia, and Milner, etc) people would learn to STFU and be patient.

I don't see him as similar to Walcott and Lennon at all, he's a #9 target man if anything.

Likes the ball a his feet and running with it from what I've seen.

He's reasonably tall at 6ft+ but haven't seen him use his height at all, really. Definitely doesn't put himself about enough.

Give the lad time. No wonder our record of developing talent is s***. You'd think after Andy Carroll (and Jose, and Colo, and Bassong, and N'Zogbia, and Milner, etc) people would learn to STFU and be patient.

Glad we have a bit of sense and i know its all about opinions but as you say we write players off far too early here but while we are on it i will drink my own piss if Best is here at the end of next season.

Give him a break, wasn't everyone here bashing Carroll a couple of years ago after the City game?  he just needs to play more and get some experince, he was playing alongside Leon Best ffs.

have best created any chances yet for his teammates....can´t think of any!

think he is the worst of all our strikers!

Give him a break, wasn't everyone here bashing Carroll a couple of years ago after the City game?  he just needs to play more and get some experince, he was playing alongside Leon Best ffs.

have best created any chances yet for his teammates....can´t think of any!

think he is the worst of all our strikers!

:clap: Agree one match wonder shouldnt have give up the singing tbh