Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

He was quite poor but exactly how he was meant to do anything with the aimless punts up the pitch that we gave him is beyond me. Our midfield provided the sum total of absolutely zilch and it showed.

can hardly judge him on that game, everyone was hopeless especially 2nd half, to be fair he did win and knock down a few headers, thats the only positive i got last night, he really does need to take his chance in the next few games though as if you cant shine when your up V Best and Lovenkrands you never will.

Unless we are going to play youth team players then like it or not hes better than lethargic Best or the slowed up Lovenkrands.

He is the only one left with the pace and agility to get free of his marker and create a chance out of nothing.

We better get used to that folks and start to get behind the lad because there is already a lot of pressure and expectation heaped on his young shoulders. I hope he can rise to the challenge and win the doubters over.

Can't believe people are so critical of him at his age and write him off. The fact is he's nowhere near ready yet and shouldnt be near the team. A year or two out on loan could be the making of him. He might turn out to be a good Premiership striker. He has potential but he's got to improve his attitude.

Think it's a cop out people blaming lack of service to him last night mind. Plenty of times the ball was fed up to him and the flick on was poor, his touch was off, his lay offs were misplaced, etc. Still at the stage of 'impact sub' for me, and thing we'd be better off with Nolan off Best or Lovenkrands and Best at the moment (Christ that's poor still).

Christ, are you serious. You rather see Best on the field? I'd rather play Coloccini upfront than Leon 'Zidane' Best.

Honestly, Loven by himself won't work. Play Ranger alone upfront with Nolan behind. Or just play without strikers.

Similar player to Walcott and Lennon... loads of pace, a bit lightweight, not the best touch/delivery/composure.

With time and coaching both Walcott and Lennon have come on massively and would both walk into our team.

I think Ranger has more potential than either of those two as he has a natural eye for goal.

I've been reading this post for an hour. What on earth have you been watching/drinking?

Ranger has the ability/potential. He's shown it playing against boys (youth teams, reserves, and in the cup against Chelsea's kids), now he needs to make the step up to the men's game.

Time will tell if he can manage it. I think he can.

I also don't think he needs to move out on loan to do it, either. The main reason for sending a player out on loan is to give them game time. With our squad so thin there's no need for him to move to get game time.

If we want him to become a premier league player he needs to be getting experience against premier league quality teams.

Would like to see him on the right flank with hopefully more space for his runs. He's not strong enough to deal with centre backs like Hangeland etc. Would like to see him in this system:

Barton    Tiote      Nolan

Ranger                                                Jonás

Lövenkrands?

Didn't he play on the right wing against Chelsea in the cup?

I think it'll be Best and Loven for the Arsenal game. Either that, or Best upfront and flood the midfield.

I just can't see Pardew starting him. Although they all were, Ranger was absolutely woeful last night. He did seem capable of syncing into the 'team' either (ref: the moment when he took the ball from Jonas)

The lad's a headless chicken, you can't criticise his work rate but I'm yet to see an ounce of footballing ability from him.

I disagree with the last part. I have seen his quality but that was last season in the Championship. He held the ball down well and outpowered many defender. This season though I agree, he seems like a player just running around with no idea what to do. Maybe the instructions are hard, or his simply trying to hard. Cause hi first match against Leicester i think it was, he was very composed held up the ball well, was fast and so on. But this season he's looked like a player on meth, however that has been better than Best and Loven who are two slow as fucker players. At least Nile will bring a defender out of position with his running and build up some space. Best is to easy to defend, I'd even be able to defend him and I'm a striker ffs.

I don't really feel like any of our forwards will score at the minute, but for all Ranger's faults he actually gets involved in the game one hell of a lot more than Best and Lovenkrands who are absolute passengers.