Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

Still don't understand why so many people seem to relish in writing off Ranger and slagging him off.

So he's a young lad who's a bit of a G, so what? He's got time to sort his attitude, although the signs aren't good.

Joey Barton and Andy Carroll have done far worse stuff.

:thup:

It's not just his attitude that is the problem.  There is also the fact that he is extremely rubbish at playing football.

He's young, and he's not extremely rubbish.

Still don't understand why so many people seem to relish in writing off Ranger and slagging him off.

So he's a young lad who's a bit of a G, so what? He's got time to sort his attitude, although the signs aren't good.

It's not just his attitude that is the problem.  There is also the fact that he is extremely rubbish at playing football.

One of the few players you can say that had the ability to really scare defences last season. The raw potential is there but it is very raw and unless he sorts out his attitude it will never be fulfilled.

I think he has real potential.I'd read the Riot Act to him and threaten to boot him out if he f***s up in any way shape or form.

I can't imagine for one moment that this hasn't already been done. And that he's not listened to a word of it.

Sometimes you have to just draw a line and accept that someone's not going to change.

It's not just his attitude that is the problem.  There is also the fact that he is extremely rubbish at playing football.

3 goals in 11 starts and 47 sub appearances all time for the Toon?!  That's pretty terrible for a striker.  Even a young one.  That works out as around a goal every 6 games if you do it as minutes on the pitch.  Also when he has been playing he just doesn't look like he's going to score.  He just isn't good enough for our squad.

Guest BooBoo

A lad who has changed the momentum our way a few times when he has come on.

The key word there is "few". He's mainly been completely ineffectual.

A goal every six games for a young lad in the Premier League isn't really that bad. Especially when the minutes he's getting only come in fits and starts.

I would agree with this, if he had scored any of his goals in the Premier League.

Guest Antec

I think the fact that the club are very keen to nurture young talent but are williing to let this lad leave speaks volumes unless it's a bluff to try and get him to sort himself out

A goal every six games for a young lad in the Premier League isn't really that bad. Especially when the minutes he's getting only come in fits and starts.

I would agree with this, if he had scored any of his goals in the Premier League.

I would agree with it, if he hadn't produced the greatest miss of all time against West Ham in January :razz:

I would agree with it, if he hadn't produced the greatest miss of all time against West Ham in January :razz:

Clearly had money on 5-0 that day, probably betting in-play from the bench!

I think the fact that the club are very keen to nurture young talent but are williing to let this lad leave speaks volumes unless it's a bluff to try and get him to sort himself out

I think the club is committed to talent, but Ranger isn't a talent.  Again, he's shite and should be nowhere near our first team.  Ever.  Would rather play Lovenkrands and Shola up front to him (and they are both turboshite too!).

I think the club is committed to talent, but Ranger isn't a talent.  Again, he's s**** and should be nowhere near our first team.  Ever.  Would rather play Lovenkrands and Shola up front to him (and they are both turboshite too!).

Bollocks.

This, from colinmk, basically sums it up:

One of the few players you can say that had the ability to really scare defences last season. The raw potential is there but it is very raw and unless he sorts out his attitude it will never be fulfilled.

He has some talent but his confidence infront of goal is shocking. Had he taken some of his chances I think this thread would be a completely different story, as it is he has become frustrated acted like a mong and put his career in jeapordy.

1m would be a potential bargain for a team that has a manager that can get him on the straight and narrow and focussed. I would rather see us loan him for a season to a championship club than outright sell him, he will get games and a different environment and manager. Could be gamble if he bombs, we risk getting nothing for him next summer but it seems mad to let him leave considering the large contract we gave to him just months ago.

Think its entirely possible the club is trying to put the scarers on him. Hope to see him out on loan next year like he should have been this season, think there is more to gain doing that than selling him. That said the guys that work with him know a hell of a lot more than we do, so I trust their judgement.

He has some talent but his confidence infront of goal is shocking. Had he taken some of his chances I think this thread would be a completely different story, as it is he has become frustrated acted like a mong and put his career in jeapordy.

1m would be a potential bargain for a team that has a manager that can get him on the straight and narrow and focussed. I would rather see us loan him for a season to a championship club than outright sell him, he will get games and a different environment and manager. Could be gamble if he bombs, we risk getting nothing for him next summer but it seems mad to let him leave considering the large contract we gave to him just months ago.

Think its entirely possible the club is trying to put the scarers on him. Hope to see him out on loan next year like he should have been this season, think there is more to gain doing that than selling him. That said the guys that work with him know a hell of a lot more than we do, so I trust their judgement.

That chance against West Ham.......I rank that as the worst miss I've ever seen (at St. James' anyway).

I had hoped it was just a case of putting the frighteners up him but it seems like they really want shot of him. He's only got himself to blame, and after being turfed out at soton and saying  he'd changed his ways it's a real disappointment to see it ending up like this.

His career means fuk all, it's an easy payday, it allows him to have the life he wants, and maybe a move will initially shock him in to sorting himself out I doubt it will last unless he really breaks through at premiership level and starts scoring goals. He'd then revel in the attention and ride on that for a bit once other bigger offers come sniffing.

Some people are just trouble no matter how much time you invest in them, his problems are far deeper than we've paid attention too, maybe some babysitting by the club captain, curfews, enforced extra training and a club chosen social life would see him shape up and really anyone buying him is going to have to go that far to get a decent prem player out of him.

Fergie would sort him out, only problem is he's not worth the time to a manager and club like that, so who has the time for him? I had hope it would be us.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/07/06/nile-ranger-knuckles-down-at-newcastle-united-61634-29001619/

For those who can't be arsed reading it, his agent effectively confirms he's up for sale, but says that he's willing to stay and fight for a place if no acceptable offer comes in. Also says he could be a 15-20 goal striker next season if he gets games. Bit optimistic that. :lol:

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/07/06/nile-ranger-knuckles-down-at-newcastle-united-61634-29001619/

For those who can't be arsed reading it, his agent effectively confirms he's up for sale, but says that he's willing to stay and fight for a place if no acceptable offer comes in. Also says he could be a 15-20 goal striker next season if he gets games. Bit optimistic that. :lol:

Not unless the league is extended to accomodate 125 teams this season.

Not unless the league is extended to accomodate 125 teams this season.

Its not just games its an attitude adjustment he needs and a MASSIVE one at that