Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

"The head across goal which Nolan scored from was atrocious. Headed into the ground and off target. Poor effort."

imo ur doing him a diservice here. Seen the goal a few times, and my gut reaction was he was not going for goal himself, but heading back across for nolan to finish.  IF you look at the replays on iplayer, i think you will find its a perfectly weighted header, to set up chance for someone to get their hatrick.

Hence why nolan and him are huggin each other afterwards.  Maybe i need to watch it again.....

"The head across goal which Nolan scored from was atrocious. Headed into the ground and off target. Poor effort."

imo ur doing him a diservice here. Seen the goal a few times, and my gut reaction was he was not going for goal himself, but heading back across for nolan to finish.  IF you look at the replays on iplayer, i think you will find its a perfectly weighted header, to set up chance for someone to get their hatrick.

Hence why nolan and him are huggin each other afterwards.

SO fine assists from carroll and ranja for goals 2+3.

I think that's a bit hopeful tbh..

I think it was an effort at goal, a poor one at that, but he did exactly what a striker should've done in that he headed it across goal and headed it downwards.

Good player, for an 18 years his general play is very good. Maybe not the quickest but very ipressed with his early performances, hold up play is very good as is his link up play. Very useful player.

Looks pretty quick to me, how fast do you want him to be able to go?

Aye, he looks rapid once he gets going. Eats up the ground. You'll not get many with his build with the brilliant acceleration.

why not?

Eh, genetical reasons?

What about Olympic sprinters who are much bigger and stronger than Ranger?

exactly

Some ridiculous suggestions with regards to the "fluke" header! The ball was floated over, the lad reacted, put the ball back into a dangerous position from which we scored! Simple! Had that been Shearer or Drogba or Torres we'd be talking about how well these goalscorers can create goals too.

Good player, for an 18 years his general play is very good. Maybe not the quickest but very ipressed with his early performances, hold up play is very good as is his link up play. Very useful player.

Looks pretty quick to me, how fast do you want him to be able to go?

Aye, he looks rapid once he gets going. Eats up the ground. You'll not get many with his build with the brilliant acceleration.

why not?

Eh, genetical reasons?

What about Olympic sprinters who are much bigger and stronger than Ranger?

exactly

Tall people generally have poorer acceleration, Bolt, C. Lewis, Christie, etc all come into the race from 50 metres onwards when the others start decelerating slower than they are. You don't see many 60 metres sprinters over 6 ft 2 for a reason.

No goals, maybe, but I'm happy with the progress of the lad. Worth persevering with, even with the arrival of Big Marlon.

Once he gets his first, there'll be others quickly following.  :thup:

One aspect of his game I haven't seen much of yet is his shooting. Can he hit one sweetly from the edge of the penalty area if he needs to?

He did for the reserves didn't he?

That's one more box ticked then isn't it?  O0

Out performed Carroll by quite a way at the weekend, I would have liked to see him stay on with Harewood. Wish he had scored, but he'll get goals eventually in this league.

Should we be successful and get promoted, Ranger may be one of the players who is good enough for the Prem.

An immense talent and he is learning very quickly, the last month will have brought him on a lot.

I have also been impressed with Carroll so far. I think the way the two of them work the opposition back 4 "defensively" is excellent and has helped the team get results. It's in stark contrast to what we've seen from Martins, Viduka  etc recently.

Out performed Carroll by quite a way at the weekend, I would have liked to see him stay on with Harewood. Wish he had scored, but he'll get goals eventually in this league.

Believe it or don't, it's Carroll who has higher probabilities to succeed in EPL.  Not doubting Ranger's talents but Carroll's aerial abilities is exceptional.

Believe it or don't, it's Carroll who has higher probabilities to succeed in EPL.  Not doubting Ranger's talents but Carroll's aerial abilities is exceptional.

You might be right, they both have that potential I think though, Ranger has held the ball up and won it in the air very, very well too.

Don't mean to put a downer on it but i think a CF needs to have quick feet to survive in the EPL (even Crouch is surprising at this) and i don't think Carroll has.

I don't think Shola's got particularly quick feet either which is why i think he never made it as a EPL striker (imo anyway).

• 2 weeks later...
Goals Will Flow For Nile

By Dan King

NILE Ranger is still waiting for the first Newcastle United goal that his performances have deserved, but it's just a matter of time before he gets off the mark - and once he does, they'll keep on coming.

That is the view of Magpies coach Chris Hughton and current top scorer Kevin Nolan, who have both been mightily impressed with 18-year-old forward who hit 22 goals at Reserve and Youth team levels last season.

He only arrived at St. James' Park just over a year ago, but made his debut as a substitute on the opening day of the season at West Brom and has been in every first-team squad since, making four starts and six substitute appearances.

The latest of those came against Bristol City on Saturday, when he replaced Danny Guthrie as United searched in vain for a winning goal, and Hughton said: "We have some real competition up-front now, with Marlon Harewood and Peter Lovenkrands coming in as well as Andy Carroll and, once he recovers from injury, Shola Ameobi.

"I made the decision to start with Marlon and Peter at the weekend in order to freshen things up but Nile has been terrific since coming into the side. He really has done well and we know that there are goals to come from him. He has been unlucky on two or three occasions but what's pleasing is that he has contributed so much to the team even without scoring."

Ranger is currently in Slovenia with the England under-19s squad, where he'll be hoping to add to his already impressive international tally before heading back to Newcastle next week.

And Kevin Nolan, who knows a thing or two about goalscoring having scored six from midfield this campaign, believes his first senior goal at club level is just around the corner.

"Nile has been terrific," says Nolan. "He and our other strikers must take a lot of the credit for my goals in giving me space to run into.

"The great thing about this team is goals can come from anywhere. The likes of Fabricio Coloccini and Steven Taylor are already off the mark and I'm sure for Nile, once he gets one they'll start flooding in."

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1820508,00.html