Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

You suggested that because of his build, he was unlikely to have good acceleration. Speed over short distances comes from genetics or muscle mass. Ranger isn't even that big a guy anyway, so the point is obsolete to begin with.

Not entirely. IIRC from my P.E. days an objects centre of gravity can have a large effect on acceleration and in tall people the centre of gravity is higher. Also, more friction is acting upon heavier people as well as more air resistance. You cannot possibly say it is all down to genetics and muscle mass. It included streamlining and turbulence and s**** like that too.

Just look at a set of sprinters, most of them are fairly tall with loads of muscle mass. Alot is down to genetics aswell, people with a lot of fast twitch muscle fibres can generate greater short bursts of strength and speed but have poorer stamina. It's pretty obvious Ranger is built like that from his jumping and acceleration and the fact that naturally he seems to tire quite quickly.

I appreciate that, but acceleration in particular is not entirely down to muscle mass and genetics which was my point. A select number of athletes who match your description doesn't necessarily prove anything in the general argument, because in society it is likely smaller people will have better acceleration, for the same reason as a motorbike accelerates quicker than a wagon. I appreciate that that argument also has it's flaws like...

You suggested that because of his build, he was unlikely to have good acceleration. Speed over short distances comes from genetics or muscle mass. Ranger isn't even that big a guy anyway, so the point is obsolete to begin with.

Not entirely. IIRC from my P.E. days an objects centre of gravity can have a large effect on acceleration and in tall people the centre of gravity is higher. Also, more friction is acting upon heavier people as well as more air resistance. You cannot possibly say it is all down to genetics and muscle mass. It included streamlining and turbulence and s**** like that too.

Just look at a set of sprinters, most of them are fairly tall with loads of muscle mass. Alot is down to genetics aswell, people with a lot of fast twitch muscle fibres can generate greater short bursts of strength and speed but have poorer stamina. It's pretty obvious Ranger is built like that from his jumping and acceleration and the fact that naturally he seems to tire quite quickly.

I appreciate that, but acceleration in particular is not entirely down to muscle mass and genetics which was my point. A select number of athletes who match your description doesn't necessarily prove anything in the general argument, because in society it is likely smaller people will have better acceleration, for the same reason as a motorbike accelerates quicker than a wagon. I appreciate that that argument also has it's flaws like...

Its basically the same as a car, Power to Weight Ratio then aerodynamics.  A Bugatti Veyron accelerates faster than a nissan Micra yet ways 3 times as much.

Aren't sprinters usually considerably below 6 foot? I thought that Usain Bolt was unusual for just that reason - tall people are generally slower.

Sprinters are usually in the average height range 5'8 to 6'3. Asafa Powell for example is quite tall for a sprinter. Usain is unusally tall, but there is nothing preventing a 6'2 person from being quick. Obviously height will hurt acceleration, and it unlikely Nile will ever be quicker over a short distance than Lennon, Oba, SWP, Odonkor and the like.

Will he score once we get to 100 pages?

I think we're collectively placing too much importance on the lengths of threads have related to real world events. I'm guilty of it too, I told my girlfriend I'd propose to her once GM had made a thread interesting enough to get to 10 pages. I figure I'm pretty safe.

:lol:

I'd just not bother, it puts more pressure on him. Just let the goal come when it comes.

I think it takes the pressure off, he is a striker so knows he should be scoring but when your manager and team mates come out with comments about how well you are doing for the teams its got to take a bit of pressure off because he knows what he is doing is appreciated.

Its basically the same as a car, Power to Weight Ratio then aerodynamics.  A Bugatti Veyron accelerates faster than a nissan Micra yet ways 3 times as much.

Yeah, so basically - my original point that it wasn't simply about genetics was correct. :smug:

Bolt's height gives him very long legs, which is one of his advantages I thought.

Not over the short distances. It is ridiculous for a man of that height to be able to accelerate in the way that he does, freak of nature/science that he is.

Or (cough) applied science, do you not think?

Aren't sprinters usually considerably below 6 foot? I thought that Usain Bolt was unusual for just that reason - tall people are generally slower.

Sprinters are usually in the average height range 5'8 to 6'3. Asafa Powell for example is quite tall for a sprinter. Usain is unusally tall, but there is nothing preventing a 6'2 person from being quick. Obviously height will hurt acceleration, and it unlikely Nile will ever be quicker over a short distance than Lennon, Oba, SWP, Odonkor and the like.

i went to an international athletics meeting recently for the first time and i was really suprised at how small the sprinters were, they look big and muscular on telly, but a lot more normal sized in real life.

Bolt's height gives him very long legs, which is one of his advantages I thought.

Not over the short distances. It is ridiculous for a man of that height to be able to accelerate in the way that he does, freak of nature/science that he is.

This is a tangent, but I think the recent success of all the Jamaicans is due to them catching up the US when it comes to steroids. I just hope we can catch up next.

This is a tangent, but I think the recent success of all the Jamaicans is due to them catching up the US when it comes to steroids. I just hope we can catch up next.

I thought your lot were going the ladyboy route?

You'll be screwed though when the Yanks & Jamaicans also discover this anti-ageing drug.