Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

Nile Ranger is an example of how football can change lives, says Newcastle boss Chris Hughton

Nile Ranger is living proof that football offers a way out of a life of crime.

As a 15-year-old he was jailed for a street robbery and got into trouble running with gangs in London. When Southampton saw his talent and gave him a chance, he blew it after being accused of stealing first team kit.

But Ranger, still just 18, is a bad boy turning his life around at Newcastle United. He celebrated his first senior goal with relish in midweek, when he scored against Coventry to help Newcastle to a seventh consecutive win.

And in doing so Ranger took the first significant step on a career that could turn him into a young Premier League star, rather than another depressing crime statistic.

Ranger still has a long way to go. Team-mates have warned him about his poor time keeping and regular lateness for training.....

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Nile-Ranger-is-an-example-of-how-football-can-change-lives-says-Newcastle-boss-Chris-Hughton-article252645.html

Sounds similar to Hughton's softly softly approach with Carroll. Why would either Nile or AC change their behaviour when they know they can get away with it?

They know chances are they'll still be here in 12 months time when Hughton is no longer manager.

Guest Heneage

I never quite got that, the whole poor time keeping, surely you'd want to be on time just for your own personal pride, like do they not feel embarrassed?

I never quite got that, the whole poor time keeping, surely you'd want to be on time just for your own personal pride, like do they not feel embarrassed?

in the real world yes, when your a professional footballer with £1000s hanging out your pockets that seems to be enough for them

Guest Heneage

in the real world yes, when your a professional footballer with £1000s hanging out your pockets that seems to be enough for them

Aye but you weren't always a footballer, there was a day when you were just a normal young lad who went to school. Mind you IMO they are no different to us they still put their trousers on one leg at a time.

Nile Can Be A Toon Hero - Shola

By Craig Hope

SHOLA Ameobi knows exactly what it's like to be a rookie striker finding their feet at Newcastle United.

It was back in 2000 that a raw and rangy Ameobi, then just 18 years old, made his black-and-white bow for Sir Bobby Robson's Magpies.

His first goal, during a 3-1 win over Coventry City, arrived shortly afterwards and the Geordie ace has gone to add a further 55 to his Toon tally.

So it is fair then that he is well placed to assess the talents of United teenage hitman Nile Ranger, who himself broke his scoring duck, like Ameobi, against the Sky Blues during this week's 2-0 win at the Ricoh Arena.

"I've been where Nile is and I remember it took me a little while to get my first goal," said Shola.

"But he's been terrific for us and has made a big impact.

"He's such a powerful lad and he wants to learn.

"It's great that he's broken his duck and hopefully he can add a few more this season because he's turning into a very important player for us - I really think he can be a real hero for Newcastle."

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/articles/nile-can-be-a-toon-hero-shola-20091211_2240137_1902324

Aye but you weren't always a footballer, there was a day when you were just a normal young lad who went to school. Mind you IMO they are no different to us they still put their trousers on one leg at a time.

Ranger puts both legs in at the same time.

Should have done better with a couple of chances but that ball to Nolan is one of the reasons I think he is better than your average youngster coming through. It was a real touch of class, excellent vision for a young striker imo.

Mark Bright must be a member on here btw, seemed to have his cock out as soon as Ranger came on :lol:

Should have done better with a couple of chances but that ball to Nolan is one of the reasons I think he is better than your average youngster coming through. It was a real touch of class, excellent vision for a young striker imo.

Mark Bright must be a member on here btw, seemed to have his cock out as soon as Ranger came on :lol:

Spot on.

What was the skill he tried shortly after coming on? He tried something weird but because they didn't show a replay I didn't catch exactly what he was trying to do :lol:

Tried a one two back heel into someone's path, might have been Jonas or Enrique.

Thought he was average when he came on today tbf

Should have done much better with that header, looked comfortable on the ball, should have passed earlier on one break, won a decent freekick and put a pass through to Nolan when most strikers would have just hit it across goal and hoped or shot from an impossible angle.

Average is about right.

the matchday programme mentioned "the great server crash" from when he scored  ;D

I'm assuming that is a joke? :lol:

nope, seriously.

"One supporters' website crashed as so many fans logged on to express their joy"

page 49

Gahahaha! :lol:

Get it scanned man.