Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

Ranger has great potential. Sad to see us give up tbh.

Great potential? To do what exactly, to become an average Championship striker perhaps?

To become a decent Premier League striker.

So when has he shown this potential?

Scoring goals for the reserves in plentyful (I know, but he has the ability), scoring 1 in 2 in average (12 games, 6 goals) for England under 19, and some very promising matches from the bench, especially the one against Liverpool. He has the ability. Now he needs to get his head together, grow up and gain some confidence. Confidence on the pitch that is.

The reserves

:lol:

He's had some decent cameos against tired legs, but he's shown little natural footballing ability and a willingnes to improve

At the beginning of the Championship season, he had some very good games - even won MOM against Leicester.  He did have a decent run in the team at that point.  That may well be his level but his performances last season were certainly much poorer than they had been the year before.

@MsiDouglas

Mark Douglas

Spoke to someone close to Nile Ranger. Mystified at the Den Haag link, so chalk that one off for the minute

Just thinking back though, would tie in with his 'the futures bright, the futures orange' tweet (which we thought might have been about Blackpool).

Newcastle boss Pardew loses rag with Ranger

15.08.11 | tribalfootball.com

Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew admits Nile Ranger needs to buck up his ideas for any chance of staying.

After being relegated back to second string duty for a series of misdemeanours, Pardew will seek regular updates on his attitude from reserve-team supremos Willie Donachie and Peter Beardsley.

“I said that I very rarely shut the door on anybody, but Nile needs to understand the responsibilities of being a professional footballer,” Pardew told the Evening Chronicle.

“That’s all he needs to understand. It’s not just about what happens on the football field.

“And he’s learning that lesson – sometimes you can fine a player and fine a player for being late and it just does not get through.

“Unfortunately that’s where we are at the moment and when I see and learn from Willie and Peter that’s the line he’s on he’ll come back.

“I have seen a little improvement but not enough yet.

“He won’t be considered for the first team until he does more.”

Birmingham City and Millwall are monitoring developments.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/newcastle-boss-pardew-loses-rag-ranger-1819211

There used to be a family who sat in front of me at the match, mam, dad, son & daughter.. not been there for a last few seasons, before kick off on Saturday get a tap on my shoulder turn around to see the son (Oliver) really can lad he's 17 I think & fkn 6'8". Seems they have not been away just moved seats right up to top of stand but now have moved again lower down.

ANYWAY he was one of these lads that ALWAYS went tot he training ground & he told me he still does go, said Ranger is constantly late, he was saying not just 10 mins or so but sometimes half an hour after everyone else.

He should be sent to a shit team in league one, make him realise that is where he will end up unless he sorts it out. Also he will get a regular game and hopefully start hitting the back of the net on a fairly regular basis. If it works he comes back and we have a potentially good striker, if not then fuck him.

No.

Why not? what does he offer us?

He's a prospect. We're in no need of selling. If you by getting rid mean "get out on loan", I agree.

Pardew has made it clear he has no place in his plans and he is a complete waster who seemingly can't even be arsed to turn up for training on time.  He may have potential but it looks like he will never fulfill it.  I say get rid now while someone might be willing to take him off our hands rather than paying his wages to play for our reserves for the next 5 years.

I don't see what you see in him I'm afraid. His style is clumsy, he's not exactly potent in front of goal, his attitude is awful, he's generally a total twat and thinks he's a gangster. I do agree with loaning him out as a last resort; I've said that for a long time but if he can't even turn up to training on time, something is seriously wrong.

I'd sell him now and get another young player in instead. Someone with a better frame of mind and with real desire to do well.

No.

He's a prospect. We're in no need of selling. If you by getting rid mean "get out on loan", I agree.

Pardew has made it clear he has no place in his plans and he is a complete waster who seemingly can't even be arsed to turn up for training on time.  He may have potential but it looks like he will never fulfill it.  I say get rid now while someone might be willing to take him off our hands rather than paying his wages to play for our reserves for the next 5 years.

Actually he hasn't. Although it's looking quite dark, the door is still open as long as he continues to improve [re: Pardew's ultimatum recently]. This could also have something to do with that no club wants to pay a decent amount of money for him. Another thing that just seals the fact that we're in no need of selling just now.

No.

Actually he hasn't. Although it's looking quite dark, the door is still open as long as he continues to improve [re: Pardew's ultimatum recently]. This could also have something to do with that no club wants to pay a decent amount of money for him. Another thing that just seals the fact that we're in no need of selling just now.

Has there been any indication that he is improving?  Either his behaviour or his performances on the pitch? 

“I said that I very rarely shut the door on anybody, but Nile needs to understand the responsibilities of being a professional footballer,” Pardew said.

“That’s all he needs to understand. It’s not just about what happens on the football field.

“And he’s learning that lesson – sometimes you can fine a player and fine a player for being late and it just does not get through.

“Unfortunately that’s where we are at the moment and when I see and learn from Willie and Peter that’s the line he’s on he’ll come back.

“I said that I very rarely shut the door on anybody, but Nile needs to understand the responsibilities of being a professional footballer,” Pardew said.

Still doesn't sound massively promising.  Do you really think he has the potential to be a regular first team player?

Still doesn't sound massively promising.  Do you really think he has the potential to be a regular first team player?

As I said. Not completely over just yet though. Let's put it this way - I think he's got potential to be better than most of our current strikers.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/9211549.Magpies_stand_firm_over_Pieters_pursuit/

"Whatever happens, Newcastle will travel to Scunthorpe tomorrow without a new addition to the ranks, indeed they could even be a striker down if Nile Ranger completes his proposed move to Birmingham City in the next 24 hours."

Was wondering about that too.  Might free up some pennies towards the striker hunt too.