Going Home: Theme Of The Local Hero is back for good

Luc
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My good god, some people are far OTT harping on about this song.

Its a tune now associated with Newcastle, and one that I personally think builds the atmosphere up.  Dont get me wrong, I love 'The Blaydon Races', but it certainly doesn't jeer the crowd up the way Going Home does prior to the players kicking off.  Too many people don't know more than two verses (me included, I hate to admit) for it to work well.

In my eyes, Going Home ends on a nice 'Buma dum a dum!' and then the whole ground shouts 'COME ONNNNNNN!' - sends shivers down me spine everytime.  

Other fans, teams and current players/ex players believe it is synonymous with a game at St James.  

It might have been made by a 'bland' man, but I have to say he's a canny bloke (yes I have met him), can play the guitar brilliantly and has written a few cracking tunes in his time.  He's from Newcastle, he supports Newcastle and (I think) goes to every game that he can.

Glad its back.

As for Sham 69...whilst I agree with the song itself, a song written by cockneys and performed by cockneys wouldn't go down too well on a match day would it?

more importantly, are they gonna play 'born to run' just before it for every game too? that was fucking excellent

Was it played every game before Local Hero??

not that i know of, i just noticed it being played before our last friendly

It's the theme of a film about an American oil executive in Scotland. Got sod all to do with Newcastle or football, except for Knopfler growing up in Gosforth.

It was a song about an American oil exec in Scotland back in 1983. It is something else entirely now.

Guest toonlass

I don't think its the song, the performer or owt. Its not whether you sit and listen to Mark Knofler at home or anything (how many Evertonians sit and listen to the theme of Z cars at home?). Its the effect that it has when its played, for me, and this is no exageration, when I hear the classical piece played before it O Fortuna isn't it, and Going Home starts I get goosebumps. It makes me remember the era of exciting heroic football at St James. Its not like the crowd could whip up any atmosphere, god help them, as the tutting around the ground if someone stands up and shout  drowns out any cheering. For me I am looking forward to it coming back. It symbolises the team coming onto the pitch, the beginning of the game, if I hear it elsewhere I immediately think of the match.

I don't think its the song, the performer or owt. Its not whether you sit and listen to Mark Knofler at home or anything (how many Evertonians sit and listen to the theme of Z cars at home?). Its the effect that it has when its played, for me, and this is no exageration, when I hear the classical piece played before it O Fortuna isn't it, and Going Home starts I get goosebumps. It makes me remember the era of exciting heroic football at St James. Its not like the crowd could whip up any atmosphere, god help them, as the tutting around the ground if someone stands up and shout  drowns out any cheering. For me I am looking forward to it coming back. It symbolises the team coming onto the pitch, the beginning of the game, if I hear it elsewhere I immediately think of the match.

Well said Diane, I for one am delighted it's back. Love everyone shouting 'Come on!!' after the drum roll noise at the end.

Guest toonlass

Cheers mate. Its a load of crap how everyone goes on about how Dire Straites are rubbish. That's got nowt to do with the song or anything. Some things are just the way they are, loads of people have pre-match rituals, and Going Home is just another one. Its the song WE play. In the normal context of songs its not one I would have said is my favourites, but on a matchday I love it, I just love it!  O0

Shame. Crappy tune by one of the most boring musicians ever to come out of Newcastle. The whole "local hero" idea has something sadly provincial about it. I want us to be national heroes, or international heroes.

Wrong on every count!!

Its not easy to be as '100% completely inaccurate' (every single word) as this post is.

Rubbish.

a) It's a crap tune. Face it.

b) What's interesting about Mark Knopfler? I can barely type his name without dozing off. Dire Straits were one of the crappest bands ever.

c) How come ir's "100 percent wrong" to want us to be more than local heroes. Happy with mid-table mediocrity, are you?

Rubbish.

Yes, that sums it up in one word.

:clap:

:clap:

So fucking glad I'm with the nutters in the singing section this year...I might actually be able to support my team vocally without being looked at as if I'm mental.

I actually got told to shut up last season by some old codger.  Suffice to say I responded with 'How about you get behind the team instead of telling me what to do...show some support man!'

He just 'pffftt' and shut up.

Ahh well, wont have to worry about that now.

Used to work with an Evertonian who, as a kid, was forced to march round the setee to the Z-Cars theme tune blaring out whilst his dad did the de-de-de, de-de-de-de-de, de-de-de..... :lol:

100% true story.

It's only a tune.

Never understood the significance some people place in it. Are there people out there who think it actually matters what's playing over the tannoy?  :lol:

Don't underestimate how much music can create an emotional response. If a lot of the supporters identify with it and it helps create an upbeat atmosphere within the crowd then it does matter.

It's only a tune.

Never understood the significance some people place in it. Are there people out there who think it actually matters what's playing over the tannoy?  :lol:

Don't underestimate how much music can create an emotional response. If a lot of the supporters identify with it and it helps create an upbeat atmosphere within the crowd then it does matter.

Guess I'm in the minority then.  :lol:

It's just a tune imo. Can't see it how it could help or hinder us tbh, but there you go. It's a decent tune and I understand what you're saying but surely that added atmosphere won't last more than a minute or two? 

Shame. Crappy tune by one of the most boring musicians ever to come out of Newcastle. The whole "local hero" idea has something sadly provincial about it. I want us to be national heroes, or international heroes.

Wrong on every count!!

Its not easy to be as '100% completely inaccurate' (every single word) as this post is.

Rubbish.

a) It's a crap tune. Face it.

b) What's interesting about Mark Knopfler? I can barely type his name without dozing off. Dire Straits were one of the crappest bands ever.

c) How come ir's "100 percent wrong" to want us to be more than local heroes. Happy with mid-table mediocrity, are you?

Rubbish.

Yes, that sums it up in one word.

Yes indeed - in fact "100%" Rubbish, Mr OzzieMandias!!!!

So name a more boring Geordie musician than Mark Knopfler.

Bruce Welch.

Born in Bognor Regis.

And even so, The Shadows were fucking miles better than Dire Straits.

Mark Knopfler was born in Glasgow.

I prefer Dire Straits over The Shadows. How can you speak about 'better' when it comes to music?