Going Home: Theme Of The Local Hero is back for good

Luc
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Published Date:

09 August 2008

By Miles Starforth

It went all but unnoticed on Wednesday night.

And over the past couple of days - when the headlines have been dominated by Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley's first interview - it still hasn't been picked up on.

But Mark Knopfler's Theme From Local Hero - which had been the subject of a newspaper campaign for its return - is back.

The record, which had been ditched, was played as Newcastle and PSV Eindhoven ran out at St James's Park.

And matchday announcer Rob Byron, who made a welcome return himself last season, has confirmed the record - synonymous with the glory years of Kevin Keegan's first spell as manager - is here to stay.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/nufc/Local-Hero-is-back-for.4374977.jp

Come off it man, the power of music and the associations between particular songs and events is obvious.

I can't wait for the Bolton game even more now, it's never been the same since they got rid of that song.

:lol:

If it matters to you that much, then I hope you a great time. :)

Come off it man, the power of music and the associations between particular songs and events is obvious.

I can't wait for the Bolton game even more now, it's never been the same since they got rid of that song.

It does and I will, not embarassed to admit I love Local Hero.

Err it's going home!

absolutely and anyone who started going to games during the early 90's will feel the same

Nah just taking the piss :lol:  I wondered if I'd get a bite in between posting that and my next post :D

Still I agree with everyone who loves the tune, its synonymous with Newcastle United to me.

I'd go as far as to say anyone who doesn't love the song isn't a Newcastle fan.

It's not a song, it's a piece of music.. and it's crap.

'If the Kids are United' by Sham 69 would be far better.

all imho of course.

It's just like I'll never forget the first time I came out of the entrance onto the stand at SJP, floodlights on and I'd never seen anything like it... felt amazing.

Going Home has the same effect, just so many associations with great times. Even more so now that KK is back again.

all imho of course.

That's a cockney song :knuppel2:

all imho of course.

A bite even after my last post, how delicious  :lol:  BTW 'If the kids are united" is complete shit and not only that but its a cockney song, disgraceful to suggest it to be honest, and that I'm not joking about.

Nah just taking the piss :lol:  Still I agree with everyone who loves the tune, its synonomous with Newcastle United to me and I can only imagine that those who didn't miss it weren't around last time Keegan was manager.

You weren't joking I bet  :lol:

But yes I do like it and yes it does remind me when this place was a tough place for teams to come.

I think the real problem is ever since we have had Northern Rock as our sponsors, now if we can go back to Newcastle Breweries again we'll be challenging again for the league.

And I was taking the piss on that last part!  O0

Nah just taking the piss :lol:  Still I agree with everyone who loves the tune, its synonomous with Newcastle United to me and I can only imagine that those who didn't miss it weren't around last time Keegan was manager.

You weren't joking I bet  :lol:

You'd lose a bet then, I actually posted the second message before I even read any responses to the first, just left enough time to see if I got a bite..  Just shows the state of internet forums that anyone could actually believe I was being serious :lol: