Woodgate or Coloccini

Dokko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's honestly just Colo's physical attributes moreso than his technical/mental ability that concern me. He's too small, too weak and too slow for the Premiership and I'm not sure his other abilities compensate adequately for those deficiencies. He simply can't be as bad as he was first time around though, given the experience he will have gained since, which does equate to there being some hope for him here.

A massive plus for him is his sheer robustness, his fitness record is absolutely tremendous (going back years).

Ronaldo's point about the difference in quality of personnel around the particular defenders in question is a great one as well mind, as much as I disagree with his stance on the matter and his view on the two players. Coloccini was given a baptism of fire last season being thrown into such disarray with such dross around him.

Woodgate was the better player in a toon top as I said, but there's on one or two things holding Colo back from the same level.

Colo was a mid table defender in La Liga who joined a mid table club in the Pl & now plays in CCC. Woodgate at the time was playing for one of the top teams in the PL & moved to one of the biggest clubs in the world on the back of the games. They are nowhere fucking near each other in ability. Fucking Nando's (Leeds) must be adding a "special" ingredient for its most regular customer.

Tbf to Colo he does not know the name of our physio never mind have Dickie Steadman's home number on speed dial.

It's honestly just Colo's physical attributes moreso than his technical/mental ability that concern me. He's too small, too weak and too slow for the Premiership and I'm not sure his other abilities compensate adequately for those deficiencies. He simply can't be as bad as he was first time around though, given the experience he will have gained since, which does equate to there being some hope for him here.

A massive plus for him is his sheer robustness, his fitness record is absolutely tremendous (going back years).

Ronaldo's point about the difference in quality of personnel around the particular defenders in question is a great one as well mind, as much as I disagree with his stance on the matter and his view on the two players. He was given a baptism of fire last season being thrown into such disarray with such dross around him.

Bassong done alright. Although that's because he has pace and Coloccini is disadvantaged because he isn't as quick, so we can't criticise him on that respect.

Woodgate was the better player in a toon top as I said, but there's on one or two things holding Colo back from the same level.

Colo was a mid table defender in La Liga who joined a mid table club in the Pl & now plays in CCC. Woodgate at the time was playing for one of the top teams in the PL & moved to one of the biggest clubs in the world on the back of the games. They are nowhere f***ing near each other in ability. f***ing Nando's (Leeds) must be adding a "special" ingredient for its most regular customer.

Tbf to Colo he does not know the name of our physio never mind have Dickie Steadman's home number on speed dial.

Aye, a 'mid-table defender' who started (and performed brilliantly) in a world cup QF for Argentina.

Ronaldo's point about the difference in quality of personnel around the particular defenders in question is a great one as well mind, as much as I disagree with his stance on the matter and his view on the two players. He was given a baptism of fire last season being thrown into such disarray with such dross around him.

Bassong done alright. Although that's because he has pace and Coloccini is disadvantaged because he isn't as quick, so we can't criticise him on that respect.

He certainly did, though there is a lot to be said for the different expectation levels between the two players upon arrival.

Colo was never really going to live up to his billing/price-tag, whereas Seb came in for relative peanuts and didn't have any expectations on his shoulders really. Obviously that can't be used as a complete cover up because at the end of the day, where it mattered, Bassong generally performed well and Coloccini generally struggled, but it would definitely have had an effect.

You're being very polite about the pace difference between the two like, especially on the turn/over a few yards!

Woodgate played behind Speed and Dyer, mate. The only thing he has/had on Coloccini is strength and perhaps heading ability.

Reading of the game, decision making, leadership etc

Is that a joke? Only one player has ever called him a leader at nufc - you can guess who it is.

As for the other two, Coloccini is as good in those respects imo.

Seeing as he organised all of our defence I can quite easily say it isn't. I haven't seen any of these leadership qualities Coloccini's time here. And his decision making was one of his biggest weaknesses last year, got caught in two minds over if he should hold his position or attacking the ball quite a lot last year. And as we found out that hesitancy costs you in the Premiership.

He still does. This is the main reason i criticize him, apart from the lack of Strength, pace & height. Basically the key attributes needed to be a solid central defender in the prem. I dont see his standard of intercepting & his reading of the game being any better than what Taylor or Williamson have shown. At the same time, both are better at everything else bar perhaps passing & calmness on the ball. Thats the one thing id give Colo. He'll need to step up still though a lot more to make up for his weaknesses.

He certainly did, though there is a lot to be said for the different expectation levels between the two players upon arrival.

Colo was never really going to live up to his billing/price-tag, whereas Seb came in for relative peanuts and didn't have any expectations on his shoulders really. Obviously that can't be used as a complete cover up because at the end of the day, where it mattered, Bassong generally performed well and Coloccini generally struggled, but it would definitely have had an effect.

You're being very polite about the pace difference between the two like, especially on the turn/over a few yards!

It was more taking the piss as somebody on here (;)) mentioned that because Bassong had pace he had an advantage over Coloccini so you couldn't give him a lot of credit due to said pace.

Ah sorry mate, that's what happens when you only start dropping in and out of this place. Completely out of touch. :blush:

No worries man. I'd expect you to stick up for your spitting image anyway. ;)

He still does. This is the main reason i criticize him, apart from the lack of Strength, pace & height. Basically the key attributes needed to be a solid central defender in the prem. I dont see his standard of intercepting & his reading of the game being any better than what Taylor or Williamson have shown. At the same time, both are better at everything else bar perhaps passing & calmness on the ball. Thats the one thing id give Colo. He'll need to step up still though a lot more to make up for his weaknesses.

My word.

Colo was a mid table defender in La Liga who joined a mid table club in the Pl & now plays in CCC. Woodgate at the time was playing for one of the top teams in the PL & moved to one of the biggest clubs in the world on the back of the games. They are nowhere f***ing near each other in ability. f***ing Nando's (Leeds) must be adding a "special" ingredient for its most regular customer.

Aye, a 'mid-table defender' who started (and performed brilliantly) in a world cup QF for Argentina.

We all know your a bit of bullshiter....I guess they must have missed his best bits from:

What the fuck

He had Ballack well covered :iamatwat:

The header across his own box was brilliant :iamatwat:

It was also nice to see the "Jumpturnmybackclosemyeyes" move is not just a Newcastle thing :iamatwat:

Shot was nearly on target :thup:

If you think that was him having a good christ on a bike.

I would love to see the full game to refresh my memory even more though.

My word.

Impressively accurate isnt it

Coloccini wasn't strong enough and he certainly wasn't quick enough last year, at times his positional play didn't look too good either (i think that was just because he was beaten to the ball for the first two reasons).

This season he's been better but i think that's mainly because of the standard of opposition. The one thing i think he is good at is playing the ball in tricky situations. He's fairly calm in possession of the ball, especially alongside Enrique.

My word.

Impressively accurate isnt it

You've seen Williamson once or twice and are saying he's better than Colo at everything but passing and calmness? :lol:

Your views on Colo are actually as pathetic and biased as the views on 'still world class' Michael Owen.

At fault for what?

If you don't think he was shite in what was shown your mental. I have a read a few match reports of the game again to refresh my memory & he doesn't get a mention as being OUTSTANDING. You have liked him since your teenage years so when he signed for NUFC it made you happy & you gloss over that fact that he has generally been shite because he has fulfilled a teenage fantasy.

If you find the full game anywhere by all means send it to me. Also nice win tonight on the gambling tonight :thup:

I first noticed him during that very game at WC 2006, which was a month before my 20th birthday.  So yes, teenage years it is. :thup:

It's nice that you're looking through match reports from 4 years ago to try and prove me wrong but it's a matter of opinion at the end of the day, he had a very good game at CB against two very good strikers imo.

I first noticed him during that very game at WC 2006, which was a month before my 20th birthday. So yes, teenage years it is. :thup:

It's nice that you're looking through match reports from 4 years ago to try and prove me wrong but it's a matter of opinion at the end of the day, he had a very good game at CB against two very good strikers imo.

You'd do well to recognise that fact a bit more often. IMO.