BEFORE EVERYONE GETS CARRIED AWAY - Lets consider this...

Crumpy Gunt

Just been pointed out to me:

This time last season, Reading went to Old Trafford and came away with an unlikely point.

9 months later, they were relegated.

:undecided:

I wondered how long it would be til this came up :lol:

Aye, and Reading went man for man all over the pitch, we played football and got a deserved point, significant difference IMO.

Although its a jokey thread, there is an element of seriousness about this. Travelling back after the Bolton game last year all the talk was about how we were going to crack the top 4 this year.

Whatever happens in the next 4 games (I think we will get at least 7 points!) I still think we need to be realistic and think that our aim this year is to be happy with a top 7/8 finish, not lose any more of our players (except 1 or 2 of the expensive hangers on) and then give Keegan a proper crack at Europe next year.

I thought Duff played well today btw - out of position against Man Utd at Old Trafford and did a great job. N'Zogbia not a left back though, although half decent going forward.

If anyone needs a reality check, they only need to look at the subs bench with only 3 injuries.

Of course that will change in the next 2 weeks, but how significantly is anyone's guess.

I'm all for realism but we're entitled to feel more than a little bit pleased about how things turned out yesterday.

When I sat down to watch it I still had that Allardyce feeling in my stomach where I fear we're going to go to a good team, lie down and take it in every hole. The fact that we took the game to them, played some nice football on the ground and still came away with a point is fantastic.

We shipped 6 at Old Trafford a few months ago ffs.

Our objectives in terms of finish this season haven't changed (i.e. nobody is saying we're going to come 4th now), but it's a lovely way to get started.

Be very interested in how we play against Bolton - we actually got some great results against the top four under Souness, Roeder and Sam (Those humpings from Arsenal and Man U aside) and picked up more points from them than we should have expected.  Our miserable league positions were down to the fact that for every one win, draw or spirited defeat we put in against Man U, Liverpool or at WHL there were 4 or 5 disinterested performances and lack-luster results against no-marks like Fulham, Reading or Wigan.  However, this should be where Keegan's biggest strength comes in to play in the form of his ability to motivate players whether they're stepping out in front of 70,000 at Old Trafford live on Sky on opening day or playing Wigan half way through the season. That's something that the dull bastards we've had since Bobby seem to have had trouble with.

Guest optimistic nit

Yep.

If we don't beat Bolton, this point is almost meaningless.

indeed.

i thought we were embarrassing under the top 4 under roeder and souness mind. aye we got the odd win, but we should have gotten way more off of them.

Yep.

except that its a point we didn't get last season AND we didn't get massacred

38 draws will just about see us safe

Yep.

except that its a point we didn't get last season AND we didn't get massacred

38 draws will just about see us safe

I don't know what that means.

Last season - 0 pts from ManU

This season - 1 point from 1 game against ManU

we have progressed from last season already :pow:

and a win on Saturday will give us and extra 2 points again, as we drew 0-0 last season at home to Bolton  O0 Were gonna win the leagueeeee  :yikes:

Where has all this talk of Man Yoo reserves and Man Yoo being understrength come from?

Ferguson himself said before kick off that they had 1st choice back 4 and a experienced midfield starting.

Add Rooney to that, then Campell (rated at £5million apparently) is the only 'weak link'

Also we were missing a sizable chunk of attacking talent

Don't let anyone try to undermine what KK and his team achieved yesterday