So, who's signing in the final week?

Coxaux
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think at full strength we are ok, but if we have many games like tomorrow with make do and mend first 11's we will end up dropping too many points to finish top 8.

We only have 3 players out, and already it's a "make do and mend first 11", and if you look at the bench, there's no-one you'd really want to bring on if you needed to change things. I think that shows how thin the squad really is. On average, most teams will have around 5-6 players injured at any time, and unless we strengthen with at least a few more players capable of holding their own in the premiership then we're going to struggle to do much better than last year when we had a fairly injury free year. We can forget trying to get into Europe with the squad we have now IMO unless we're very, very lucky with injuries, and all the new signings maintain their 1st game form.

I also really hope we can get someone in who can take a decent free kick from just outside the box, otherwise we're just going to waste loads of good scoring opportunities throughout the season, and as a knock on effect, any team with a manager smart enough to realise we don't pose a threat at free kicks will just send his team out to hack us down outside the area whenever there's any sign of danger.

I think at full strength we are ok, but if we have many games like tomorrow with make do and mend first 11's we will end up dropping too many points to finish top 8.

We only have 3 players out, and already it's a "make do and mend first 11", and if you look at the bench, there's no-one you'd really want to bring on if you needed to change things. I think that shows how thin the squad really is. On average, most teams will have around 5-6 players injured at any time, and unless we strengthen with at least a few more players capable of holding their own in the premiership then we're going to struggle to do much better than last year when we had a fairly injury free year. We can forget trying to get into Europe with the squad we have now IMO unless we're very, very lucky with injuries, and all the new signings maintain their 1st game form.

I also really hope we can get someone in who can take a decent free kick from just outside the box, otherwise we're just going to waste loads of good scoring opportunities throughout the season, and as a knock on effect, any team with a manager smart enough to realise we don't pose a threat at free kicks will just send his team out to hack us down outside the area whenever there's any sign of danger.

I'd love to have someone in who's a genuine threat on dead balls. As you say it's something we badly miss, both in terms of a direct goal threat and the capacity to make the opposition think.

I'd love to have someone in who's a genuine threat on dead balls. As you say it's something we badly miss, both in terms of a direct goal threat and the capacity to make the opposition think.

I am still hopeful that a deal for Saviola can be struck. It would be a signing in a key position as he could play in the Owen role and mean we wouldn't be crossing our fingers on lil' Mikey being fit. Other positions need strenghtening but we can get by IMO.

Danny G is looking really good on his set pieces tbf.

We just need to ensure Milner stops trying to sneak some in himself as he sucks at it.

Let's hope it's the calm before the storm right now as it all appears to have gone very quiet on the transfer front.

:tumbleweed:

to be honest, if it hadnt of been for Colo's agent, it would have been very quite from the time we signed Guthrie too. Things are happening, 10 days time we'll have a couple/few new faces.

Danny G is looking really good on his set pieces tbf.

We just need to ensure Milner stops trying to sneak some in himself as he sucks at it.

There's a difference between taking a decent corner and being able to threaten the goal from 25 yards out.

So who's looking forward to sitting at their computer on the night of September the 1st pressing the refresh button every few seconds?

I hope we get our signings in before then. I hate watching Sky Sports News but it's hard to resist in the last hours of the transfer window. Having said that, last time I'm sure Beye and Faye weren't announced as signed until much later in the next day.

So who's looking forward to sitting at their computer on the night of September the 1st pressing the refresh button every few seconds?

I hope we get our signings in before then. I hate watching Sky Sports News but it's hard to resist in the last hours of the transfer window. Having said that, last time I'm sure Beye and Faye weren't announced as signed until much later in the next day.

I'll be there, F5 F5, F5, lets hope the newcastle-online server can stand the pace when the 'WOW' signing is announced at 11:59 ;)

I'll be there, F5 F5, F5, lets hope the newcastle-online server can stand the pace when the 'WOW' signing is announced at 11:59 ;)

im fairly confident there will be no "wow" signing.  :kasper:

To be fair to the club, Mike Ashley is said to have said the thing about the "Wow" signing to the corporates. Did he really say it? Who knows? It's not like he's promised it in an official club statement. I'm not expecting a wow signing either but I'll be happy if we do get one. Of the 4 we have brought in so far, the 3 who have made their debuts have started well. A few more like that would do me.

Guest Chubby Jason

Newcastle & AC Milan are in for Arsenal's Senderos :(

He's a decent centre-back I think. Better than Faye anyway so it's progress.

I'd imagine he'll choose Milan anyway...

To be fair to the club, Mike Ashley is said to have said the thing about the "Wow" signing to the corporates. Did he really say it? Who knows? It's not like he's promised it in an official club statement. I'm not expecting a wow signing either but I'll be happy if we do get one. Of the 4 we have brought in so far, the 3 who have made their debuts have started well. A few more like that would do me.

Probably went something like:

Ashley: Yeah I'd quite like a wow signing...dunno if...

ITK: ZOMG we're getting a wow signing? TELL EVERYONE *rings the ITK head quarters*

Guest Chubby Jason

Newcastle & AC Milan are in for Arsenal's Senderos :(

Cite a source ffs. ;)

It's on the Sky Sports News headlines.

Guest BeatMakerz

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4030211,00.html

AC Milan technical director Leonardo has failed to dampen speculation linking Arsenal defender Philippe Senderos with a surprise move to the San Siro.

Press reports have suggested the Switzerland international is a Milan target as head coach Carlo Ancelotti aims to reinforce his defensive options.

Senderos' form at Arsenal has been mixed since he signed from Servette in 2003 while he has struggled for regular first-team football, making just 14 Premier League starts last term.

The 23-year-old could see his opportunities reduced further this term after the Gunners landed experienced defender Mikael Silvestre from Manchester United on Wednesday.

Contact

It is claimed Milan could turn to centre-back Senderos before the close of the transfer window, and Leonardo has done little to ease the mounting rumours surrounding a transfer.

He told Mediaset: "Senderos? There is nothing definite but the market is open until 31st August."

However, the player's agent claims there has been no official approach from Milan.

"I have no news about it, I am currently on holiday and I have not had any official contact," Franco Granello told calciomercato.com.

Think if he has the choice he may opt with Milan, really don't know, depends whether he wants to stay in England.

Guest guinness_fiend

Well, if there's one team i'd choose to be battling it out against for Senderos' signature, it would be AC Milan.

:snod:

Keegan keen on Senderos

Magpies boss hints at interest in defender

By James Dall  Last updated: 22nd August 2008

Sky Sports News understands Newcastle United manager Kevin Keegan has hinted at an interest in signing Arsenal defender Philippe Senderos.

Senderos was linked with a transfer to St James' Park earlier this summer, but Gunners boss Arsene Wenger rejected the reports.

The Switzerland international could find his first-team opportunities at Arsenal restricted this term after the club landed 31-year-old Mikael Silvestre from Manchester United on Wednesday.

Reports emerged on Friday claiming AC Milan could move for Senderos; however the Italian giants have failed to confirm or deny the speculation.

Keegan, though, has intimated that he could strengthen his defensive ranks with the addition of the 23-year-old, who signed for the Gunners in 2003 from Servette.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4030874,00.html