Coventry 2 - 3 Newcastle (CC) - 26/08/08 - post match reaction from page 36

James

I thought Jonas was pretty average tonight. Put in a decent shift but could have hurt Coventry a bit more given better options up front.

Aye same here, did one or two good things but someone had his as their man of the match  :undecided:

I know I am the Milner Bum Boy but he was clearly MOTM for me.

I like Jonas, looks a quality signing but there are a number of players I would have ahead of him tonight.

Beye wasn't too bad but a number of uncharacteristic sloppy mistakes pointed out his lack of pre-season for me.

I like Beye, but he just didn't do enough of the running tonight.

Are you going to stop talking shite at any point soon?

I genuinely believe that some of the foreign players suffered a real culture shock tonight. Keegan himself alluded to such post match.

And why the fuck would Beye be one of those?

i'm sorry but beye was nothing like dependable. i still think he's one of the best fullbacks in the league (lets say top 10) but his mind wasn't on the field today. was looked a bit slow to react to things, gave the ball away a lot (put one foot wrong all game?) although he was pretty comfortable defensively. it was also a pretty big foot to put wrong, even if it had been the only one.

How can you be comfortable defensively and yet not be dependable as a defender? Surely as a full-back your priority is to defend first? His distribution admittedly wasn't up to usual standard but it was hardly shocking and defensively he was excellent - he didn't lose out on a single challenge all game. If that isn't 'dependable' as a defender then I simply don't know what is.

And this one 'mistake' leading to Morrison's goal is all a bit of bollocks tbh, Bassong and Colo were at fault as much as Beye in that situation and yet they seem to have slipepd under the radar.

Beye wasn't too bad but a number of uncharacteristic sloppy mistakes pointed out his lack of pre-season for me.

He's been doing it for about five years, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Beye is a very good player, we all know that. I just don't think he's quite up to speed yet; making a few ricks in the games so far that he won't in a couple of weeks time. :thup:

I agree completely Dave. Looks a bit rusty which is obvious due to his lack of a pre-season. I'm sure once he gets going he'll be fine again.

He's been doing it for about five years, I wouldn't hold your breath.

:lol:

Guest optimistic nit

i'm sorry but beye was nothing like dependable. i still think he's one of the best fullbacks in the league (lets say top 10) but his mind wasn't on the field today. was looked a bit slow to react to things, gave the ball away a lot (put one foot wrong all game?) although he was pretty comfortable defensively. it was also a pretty big foot to put wrong, even if it had been the only one.

How can you be comfortable defensively and yet not be dependable as a defender? Surely as a full-back your priority is to defend first? His distribution admittedly wasn't up to usual standard but it was hardly shocking and defensively he was excellent - he didn't lose out on a single challenge all game. If that isn't 'dependable' as a defender then I simply don't know what is.

And this one 'mistake' leading to Morrison's goal is all a bit of bollocks tbh, Bassong and Colo were at fault as much as Beye in that situation and yet they seem to have slipepd under the radar.

aye i think colo and bassong could have done better for the goal, but beye was a lot more guilty than those 2, who were mainly caught out by a lucky deflection. beye wasn't dependable in the same way that taylor isn't dependable, he cost us a goal and gave the ball away quite a few times. he was pretty comfortable when they were in possession (what you would expect, as we were playing championship oppersition). he did nowt in the attacking third either.

Yeah, it was a pretty big foot to put wrong. However to say he's had no pre-season that was far from a bad performance from a defensive perspective. Strong in the air and wins most of the tackles he goes in to.

I wont give ratings tonight, but in order of great to less great, I'd say:

Milner

N'Zogbia

Enrique

Bassong

Coloccini

Owen

Guthrie

Given

Gutierrez

Butt

Beye

For me, only the top four in that list plus Given had the application to match the ability. Owen and Coloccini did their jobs with little fuss. The remainder showed that they were significantly better than the Coventry lot, but I was incredibly frustrated with their application.

Guest BooBoo

Will someone please stop James from posting anymore inane "i think i know everything" drivel on this bloody website.

I thought Butt played very well tonight.

[/tinhat]

I agree

Butt's been alright in all the games so far, but he simply doesn't have the speed of thought (and feet) any more to contribute to our passing game. He's still fine at the 'get in the way, nick the ball' stuff, but we need more than that. Not disastrous, but he just needs replacing.

I thought Butt played very well tonight.

[/tinhat]

I agree

Butt's been alright in all the games so far, but he simply doesn't have the speed of thought (and feet) any more to contribute to our passing game. He's still fine at the 'get in the way, nick the ball' stuff, but we need more than that. Not disastrous, but he just needs replacing.

Aye.

That backheel he attempted man. :lol:

I genuinely believe that some of the foreign players suffered a real culture shock tonight. Keegan himself alluded to such post match.

And why the fuck would Beye be one of those?

He has never played an English cup game against a lower league side.

aye i think colo and bassong could have done better for the goal, but beye was a lot more guilty than those 2, who were mainly caught out by a lucky deflection. beye wasn't dependable in the same way that taylor isn't dependable, he cost us a goal and gave the ball away quite a few times. he was pretty comfortable when they were in possession (what you would expect, as we were playing championship oppersition). he did nowt in the attacking third either.

The ball was behind Beye and he was forced to deal with it at sprint speed as well as coping with pressure from his man. That's not an easy clearance to make and it hardly cost us a goal. Yes his distribution and attacking play wasn't great but as a FULLBACK do your defensive duties not come first? Beye was strong in defence and in being dependable surely this overshadows average passing/attacking.