James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Put it this way, Milner's not got the talent we require ultimately, but if some of his peers had his dedication to the cause we'd be in a much better state right than we are right now.

That's life I'm afraid.  If such players existed they'd not be here.

Touché. I'm just thinking of the talent we've had in the last few years that have done little or nothing with it. Sad, really.

re the transfer request ... as i said before, I'd be surprised if he wasn't as good as gone for the club to issue that statement, but trust me, having had a summer of a player agitating in the press for a move WITHOUT submitting a transfer request, there's a lot to be said for Milner having the cojones to actually submit one.

Far better that than getting his agent to whinge to the NotW.

If Milner does go then I'd like to thank him for his efforts both on and off the pitch, the lad is a model pro who has always tried his best.  I can't think of any player who has been treated so badly by the club yet he's taken it all on the chin.

We almost flogged him to Villa only to change our minds at the last minute and we've had the manager publicly stating that we'd win nothing with a team full of James Milner’s.

I wish him luck as a player and a person, some of the comments in here are pathetic, Milner has always worked his bollocks off for us and if life was fair he’d be a top player, which he isn’t.  I can’t think of any player who has worked as hard as Milner over the last few years and he’s done that for us, the club and himself.

Don't really get all this "he's been treated terribly by the club" stuff.

Deals collapse all the time, sure it's tough on him but it's part of the business. More importantly though in his time here he's had every chance to improve as a player. He must have started well over a hundred games in his favourite position, on the wing, and by all accounts he's been treated very well apart from one collapsed move.

The Souness comments were unfair, but Milner was on loan at Villa the whole time anyway.

Agree that he's been a very good pro though of course.

Liam Liam Liam,

If Keegan rates him so highly and O'neil is prepared to pay up to £10m fro him, he should direct any anger you may have at the idiots running the club prerpared to sell someone who will be in the Engalnd squad this season, and not at him, you just sound, and make is all sound like idiots.

England squad? Based on what?

Milner has done absolutely nothing over the last 12 months to warrant a pay rise.  Fact is, our form improved when he was out of the team towards the end of last season.

england squad my prick. He's a f***ing championship player

Yep I bet he signs for a championship club.

Idiot.

embarrassing mate, get it sorted

a premiership winger gives premiership full-backs problems the last time I checked. He's without doubt the least gifted winger i've ever seen in a nufc shirt. No pace, no final ball, poor passing, no intelligence. Robson was on a roll when he described Ambrose, O'brien and Milner as 'fantastic young talent'. Talent my left f***ing nut

If he's the least gifted winger you've seen in a Newcastle shirt, your opinion isn't worth hearing. Quite apart from the dross we put up with back in the day, weren't you around to see the likes of Brittain, O'Brien, Pattison, Gavilan, Glass, Hamilton etc waste space down either of our flanks?

I'd put Milner marginally above Keith Gillespie in terms of talent. Not saying much, mind....

If Milner does go then I'd like to thank him for his efforts both on and off the pitch, the lad is a model pro who has always tried his best.  I can't think of any player who has been treated so badly by the club yet he's taken it all on the chin.

We almost flogged him to Villa only to change our minds at the last minute and we've had the manager publicly stating that we'd win nothing with a team full of James Milner’s.

I wish him luck as a player and a person, some of the comments in here are pathetic, Milner has always worked his bollocks off for us and if life was fair he’d be a top player, which he isn’t.  I can’t think of any player who has worked as hard as Milner over the last few years and he’s done that for us, the club and himself.

:clap:

Who said that?  :lol:

Put it this way, Milner's not got the talent we require ultimately, but if some of his peers had his dedication to the cause we'd be in a much better state right than we are right now.

That's life I'm afraid.  If such players existed they'd not be here.

Touché. I'm just thinking of the talent we've had in the last few years that have done little or nothing with it. Sad, really.

:nods:

Liam Liam Liam,

If Keegan rates him so highly and O'neil is prepared to pay up to £10m fro him, he should direct any anger you may have at the idiots running the club prerpared to sell someone who will be in the Engalnd squad this season, and not at him, you just sound, and make is all sound like idiots.

England squad? Based on what?

Milner has done absolutely nothing over the last 12 months to warrant a pay rise.  Fact is, our form improved when he was out of the team towards the end of last season.

england squad my prick. He's a f***ing championship player

Yep I bet he signs for a championship club.

Idiot.

embarrassing mate, get it sorted

a premiership winger gives premiership full-backs problems the last time I checked. He's without doubt the least gifted winger i've ever seen in a nufc shirt. No pace, no final ball, poor passing, no intelligence. Robson was on a roll when he described Ambrose, O'brien and Milner as 'fantastic young talent'. Talent my left f***ing nut

If he's the least gifted winger you've seen in a Newcastle shirt, your opinion isn't worth hearing. Quite apart from the dross we put up with back in the day, weren't you around to see the likes of Brittain, O'Brien, Pattison, Gavilan, Glass, Hamilton etc waste space down either of our flanks?

I'd put Milner marginally above Keith Gillespie in terms of talent. Not saying much, mind....

There is a winger in the current team who hasn't been half as good as Milner in a black and white shirt but don't let that stop Ronaldo.

Went very quiet after the Bramble and Routledge comments despite viewing the thread since, wonder why :lol:

Agreed, but he's seriously f***ed up with the transfer request & the PFA have in turn made his position untenable with their statement today.

I can only guess that the PFA have advised him during talks so I don't have a problem with what has happened.  I think him using the PFA rather than some of the shitty agents knocking about is also a credit to him.  It probably hasn't gone as expected but these things happen and both parties will move on from this.

Agreed, but he's seriously fucked up with the transfer request & the PFA have in turn made his position untenable with their statement today.

Sorry but how? ???

I can't believe some of the bollocks posted on here, bar mick and dave, liam - can't be a real person - you are just a caricature – of what we are supposed to be like. Anyone who has seen the kid play will realise that he never stopped and worked his arse off. We are all critics now, but criticism is cheap. Taylor and Zog are twice what he is, given their less than whole hearted approach, especially the latter, wouldn’t you want more.

We almost flogged him to Villa only to change our minds at the last minute and we've had the manager publicly stating that we'd win nothing with a team full of James Milners.

I wish him luck as a player and a person, some of the comments in here are pathetic, Milner has always worked his bollocks off for us and if life was fair hed be a top player, which he isnt.  I cant think of any player who has worked as hard as Milner over the last few years and hes done that for us, the club and himself.

Agreed, but he's seriously fucked up with the transfer request & the PFA have in turn made his position untenable with their statement today.

Sorry but how? ???

Telling everyone its basically down to more money.

Guest Mantis

Good luck to him.  One of the few who have broken sweat over the last couple of years whilst rejects galore have turned up at St James for a handout and been barely able to start a fitness test, never mind pass one.  Hopefully he will end up at a professionally run club.  Given that he seems to be a quite lad and not one for running to the papers, god only knows what has been going on.  I cant blame him at all for leaving.  

I only pray this comedy isnt going to get even worse by the time the transfer window slams shut on another period of dithering and delay by NUFC.

Agreed, but he's seriously f***ed up with the transfer request & the PFA have in turn made his position untenable with their statement today.

I can only guess that the PFA have advised him during talks so I don't have a problem with what has happened.  I think him using the PFA rather than some of the shitty agents knocking about is also a credit to him.  It probably hasn't gone as expected but these things happen and both parties will move on from this.

Possibly, but an agent might have got him a better contract 12 months ago.

Guess we'll never know though.

The transfer request was plain stupid IMO.

Guest Brazilianbob

We almost flogged him to Villa only to change our minds at the last minute and we've had the manager publicly stating that we'd win nothing with a team full of James Milners.

I wish him luck as a player and a person, some of the comments in here are pathetic, Milner has always worked his bollocks off for us and if life was fair hed be a top player, which he isnt.  I cant think of any player who has worked as hard as Milner over the last few years and hes done that for us, the club and himself.

Completely agree, kind of shocked he has handed in the transfer request now given some of the s*** he has had in the past and just kept his head done but no-one can say the lad was lazy/just here for the money/a flop.

He isn't half as bad as some made out, was worth the money we paid and will leave making us a profit on his original transfer fee. Best of luck to him and I am sure he will do well wherever he ends up.

Oh he'll do better than well wherever he eventually goes and the f*****g anti Milner brigade will then disappear into their insular shells to await their next victim.

If only they had even a slight inkling of what it takes to play professional football, these mollusc's would be squirming in their shells with embarrassment.

Deals collapse all the time, sure it's tough on him but it's part of the business. More importantly though in his time here he's had every chance to improve as a player. He must have started well over a hundred games in his favourite position, on the wing, and by all accounts he's been treated very well apart from one collapsed move.

The Souness comments were unfair, but Milner was on loan at Villa the whole time anyway.

I can't remember too many players being told they are going and then the selling club withdrawing at the last minute and keeping a player who will have been told that he was not a part of our plans.  The Souness comment was made while Milner was at the club and we had just lost in Europe, he wasn't at Villa at all.

Sorry but how? ???

So we offer a new contract and its all sorted, no move, his position isn't untenable, he didn't make it public.

The main problem that I have with the whole thing is the timing. Hand in a transfer request at the end of the season or before pre-season starts - you don't wait until the season starts.  Also, going bleating to the PFA hasn't helped things - now it is a known fact that we have an unhappy member of staff and will get shafted in the transfer market or end up with an unhappy squad member until January, which we will not want.

Sorry but how? ???

So we offer a new contract and its all sorted, no move, his position isn't untenable, he didn't make it public.

He doesn't deserve a new contract though.

If he wants to leave, he should be prepared to have the fact in the public domain.  All the club have done is confirm what he has told them, without giving the intricate details.  The decision on that bit has been made by the PFA.

Could quite easily have played the "European football" or "Need a change" card and moved on with people's best wishes.

Still that's the route his "advisors" have chosen for him.

The main problem that I have with the whole thing is the timing. Hand in a transfer request at the end of the season or before pre-season starts - you don't wait until the season starts.  Also, going bleating to the PFA hasn't helped things - now it is a known fact that we have an unhappy member of staff and will get shafted in the transfer market or end up with an unhappy squad member until January, which we will not want.

The PFA are his agents so he hasn't gone "bleating" to them.

Who is to say he wanted to leave at the start of the window? If he really was intent on leaving I am sure he would have put the request in ASAP to make sure there was time to make his move, I am sure it would pray on his mind a little he may now be left at a club where the fans know he wanted to leave, hence his request to keep the whole thing quiet in the first place.

I can't remember too many players being told they are going and then the selling club withdrawing at the last minute and keeping a player who will have been told that he was not a part of our plans.  The Souness comment was made while Milner was at the club and we had just lost in Europe, he wasn't at Villa at all.

Was pretty sure the season was finished when Souness said that, but not sure.

Either way, he's still been in our first team pretty much the whole time he has been here, he's hardly been treated awfully has he?