James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

we shouldn`t feel under pressure to sell him......we should only let him leave IF we get a adequate replacement in time. If not, tough $hit he has to stay and bear with it

or do what they did with Solano......take one of their players on loan at least like Barry

Can't understand why anyone is happy that a young, first team regular, in a paper thin squad, puts in a transfer request near the end of the transfer window. This suggest that he's not happy with where he sees the club going & knows other clubs want him more & are better equiped for success.

He will never have pace but he is a consistent performer.

We'd better have some pretty big rabbits waiting in a top hat somewhere.

I bloody well hope that this meeting today gets things moving. Our decent start to the season is in danger of glossing over a severe lack in investment. 

Agreed.

It's irrelevant what a bunch of people on the internet think about Milner, the fact is the manager rates him as a regular first team player and wants to keep him. The club have known he wants a new contract for ages, and yet have done nothing to resolve the situation - either agree the new contract or sell him in time to bring in a replacement if he really does want too much cash (I doubt that tbh). It's the same with Owen, where the longer it goes on unresolved the worse it is for the club. Whoever is in charge of player contracts whether it be Ashley, Llambias, Vetere or Wise is doing a pretty s*** job IMO.

We should be giving players new deals every year?

Yes actually, I don't see why not if we want to keep them. With the Webster ruling no contract is worth the paper its written on for more than 3 years anyway. Thanks for not bothering to read the whole sentence though.

Milner is one year into a new four-year deal. I don't think it's unreasonable at all for the club to be telling him to fuck off if wants a payrise already (and based on what anyway?). And why should we look to sell him? KK wants to keep him, and we'd have to pay him his loyalty bonus. Force him to act if he's so demanding.

Guest guinness_fiend

I am glad that he has finally shown his true colours, especially given that the fact that he signed an improved deal last year means that we are likely to get a decent price for him.

Considering that he cannot cross, take corners or take people on and that he struggles to put the ball in the back of the net (bar the odd wonder goal), I wish him all the best persuading the fans of his new club that he is not another overrated English player.

Re first sentance. What a load of rubbish!

OK, so he could have put a request in sooner. Maybe something has happened to tip the balance in the favour of moving in the last week.

Would you rather he drops hints in the papers that he wants awy whilst sitting on a loyalty bonus from us?

Its refreshing to see players slap in a transfer request when they want to leave. Barry could learn a lot here

Has Milner not stated that he has been unhappy for ages, hence the link with Villa for the past four or five transfer windows?

I could be imagining it, but I could have sworn that he has been "on his way out" for a couple of years now.

In any case, I agree that it is refreshing to see players hand in transfer requests but, once again, the power has been displaced from the club and onto the player.  He is under contract and should Villa (or whichever club is apparently interested) decide not to pick him up, I wish him all the luck in the world trying to perfect his skills in the reserves.

I'm so gald Jonas saw out his contract

Point missed.  If Jonas announced that he intended to leave a few minutes after proclaiming that he was happy to stay, I would have no problems with the fans of his old club being annoyed.

Just because we have taken advantage of another player getting out of his contract does not mean that we have to be happy when one of ours does it, especially if Milner has been unsettled by O'Neil.

Guest musika

can we add a poll, to see what the percentage of fan's who want him to go or not?

Everyone's going to tell him to F off at this point in time because he looks like an disloyal little prick.

Personally I think a more interesting poll would be to see how many would welcome him back if he decided to stay (or accepted a higher wage salary assuming that's his gripe).

Guest Mcdonald36

Judging from what Ken Bates has said, whoever wants him has tapped him up

Of course they have, but Villa are above all that apparently.

We should accpet no less than 15 million. It's the going rate for English players.

Guest neesy111

villa are a fucking disgrace

think that they above everything, hope they have a really shit season (which they will)

I am glad that he has finally shown his true colours, especially given that the fact that he signed an improved deal last year means that we are likely to get a decent price for him.

Considering that he cannot cross, take corners or take people on and that he struggles to put the ball in the back of the net (bar the odd wonder goal), I wish him all the best persuading the fans of his new club that he is not another overrated English player.

OK, so he could have put a request in sooner. Maybe something has happened to tip the balance in the favour of moving in the last week.

Would you rather he drops hints in the papers that he wants awy whilst sitting on a loyalty bonus from us?

Its refreshing to see players slap in a transfer request when they want to leave. Barry could learn a lot here

Has Milner not stated that he has been unhappy for ages, hence the link with Villa for the past four or five transfer windows?

I could be imagining it, but I could have sworn that he has been "on his way out" for a couple of years now.

In any case, I agree that it is refreshing to see players hand in transfer requests but, once again, the power has been displaced from the club and onto the player.  He is under contract and should Villa (or whichever club is apparently interested) decide not to pick him up, I wish him all the luck in the world trying to perfect his skills in the reserves.

Point missed.  If Jonas announced that he intended to leave a few minutes after proclaiming that he was happy to stay, I would have no problems with the fans of his old club being annoyed.

Just because we have taken advantage of another player getting out of his contract does not mean that we have to be happy when one of ours does it, especially if Milner has been unsettled by O'Neil.

So in an interview just after a game which we won Milner is asked about the speculation (direct question).

'Actually I'm off to speak to the gaffa tomorrow to slap in this transfer request'

Would you be happy?

Ever since Milner returned from his loan he has been nothing but professional in the way he has applied himself on the pitch and in the press. If he wants to leave good luck to the guy, I personally have no problem in him deciding he wants to leave.

If he stays for whatever reason you can guarantee that he will continue to give 100% on th epitch, thats all you can ask for really

I'll be sad to see him to go to be honest, unlike others he always puts in a full shift, happy or not, and after the way he's been fucked around by the club in the past I don't blame him for wanting off. Some of the stick he's getting here is beyond a joke tbh and we want shooting if we do sell him and don't replace him as our squad was too small to begin with, selling a first teamer does not help that in the slightest.

So in an interview just after a game which we won Milner is asked about the speculation (direct question).

'Actually I'm off to speak to the gaffa tomorrow to slap in this transfer request'

Would you be happy?

Ever since Milner returned from his loan he has been nothing but professional in the way he has applied himself on the pitch and in the press. If he wants to leave good luck to the guy, I personally have no problem in him deciding he wants to leave.

If he stays for whatever reason you can guarantee that he will continue to give 100% on th epitch, thats all you can ask for really

Well said Haircut.

Guest black n white

barry is staying at villa hope the same can be said of milner, we still need to  bring in 5-6 players

Would you be happy?

Well said Haircut.

If he was as pious as you guys are making out, he should have handed his request in at least six weeks ago.

Why are people having a go at Villa. They didn't need to tap him up they have wanted him for ages.

The guy wants to go so let him go. I swear we could buy a better player for £1 million. Get over it.

He is never a first teamer here, but will be at Villa so fair enough.

As far as the trasnfer request goes, in hindsight, maybe he has just done this so we do not have to give him a loyalty payment, which is fair enough.

For what it's worth I think Keegan has been bigging him up to get a better fee for him. I thinkt he same tactic has been used regarding Smith also.

I cannot wait for who we will be bringing in as a replacement, especially as our signings this summer have been gold so far.

Guest Mucky01

so it’ll be a half fit Owen upfront with a novice striker Spidey and Geremi out on the right against Arsenal, OMG.

Being fucked around by the club in the past doesn't wash as justification for wanting to leave, to be honest. He's had several windows to kick up a stink. AND, in terms of ownership / board / management, it's a different club now. He's had his head turned by talk of Liverpool, IMO.