James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Absolutely.  But forgive & forget.  Just like he'll be wanting us to do if his transfer doesn't materialise by the time the transfer windows closes.

Agreed and I think if nothing happens regarding the transfer then all sides will forgive and forget although I think Milner will still want more money.

Nice one newcastle piss another player off we should have sorted a deal out for milner ages ago.

But we stall once again, God knows how we are going to replace milner in 7 days.

We must have one of the smallest squads in the premier.

and about to loss another,

what are the board trying to prove. :rant:

Fucker doesn't deserve a new contract. The board can't bend over for any player that fancies a pay rise.

If Milner does go then I'd like to thank him for his efforts both on and off the pitch, the lad is a model pro who has always tried his best.  I can't think of any player who has been treated so badly by the club yet he's taken it all on the chin.

We almost flogged him to Villa only to change our minds at the last minute and we've had the manager publicly stating that we'd win nothing with a team full of James Milner’s.

I wish him luck as a player and a person, some of the comments in here are pathetic, Milner has always worked his bollocks off for us and if life was fair he’d be a top player, which he isn’t.  I can’t think of any player who has worked as hard as Milner over the last few years and he’s done that for us, the club and himself.

Agreed, but he's seriously fucked up with the transfer request & the PFA have in turn made his position untenable with their statement today.

Sorry but how? ???

Telling everyone its basically down to more money.

So we offer a new contract and its all sorted, no move, his position isn't untenable, he didn't make it public.

He doesn't deserve a new contract though.

If he wants to leave, he should be prepared to have the fact in the public domain.  All the club have done is confirm what he has told them, without giving the intricate details.  The decision on that bit has been made by the PFA.

Could quite easily have played the "European football" or "Need a change" card and moved on with people's best wishes.

Still that's the route his "advisors" have chosen for him.

All valid points, and yes imo he doesn't deserve a new contract, but i'd be more pissed off if he gave the waffa cup crap as a reason to leave.

What really gets me, and this is comical in my eyes; is that Taylor only 10 months ago with contract running out wanted an improved deal to match Milners, and the club said no, only 6 months ago he still wanted the same deal, and the club fuked about while the fans slated the shit out of him for demanding it (or rather his dad making an ill advised choice) yet his contract runs ever closer to the bone during the summer, and if you are to believe since his new deal has been signed its upset Milner, who now wants the same as him! Meaning, our bullshit wait about strategy has not only cost us a considerable wage hike in one player, its upset another. Now i hope i'm reading this right, as that's what a lot of people on here seem to think has happened, if so...

Comical set of events drawn out by a joke of a club, sorry like, but nothing ever changes round these parts, we're our own worst enemy.

Allardyce said Taylor was offered the same as the lads his age but turned it down, so it's fair to assume he held out for improved terms.

Milner took what was on offer and is now pissed off that Taylor earns more, well he should have thought of that when he was on more than Taylor over the past 12 months.

It's all guesswork btw, none of us know what either are earning.

Nice one newcastle piss another player off we should have sorted a deal out for milner ages ago.

But we stall once again, God knows how we are going to replace milner in 7 days.

We must have one of the smallest squads in the premier.

and about to loss another,

what are the board trying to prove. :rant:

That we don't hand out contracts willy-nilly. He's got 3 years left on it hasn't he?

Because his contract was closer to running out therefore he has the club exactly where he wants it, desperate not to see a player leave for free, therefore have had to offer more than he originally wanted 10 months ago. It wouldn't surprise me if the same thing is happening right now with Owen, over a fuking barrel.

I did explain this to people several months ago, a lot of people stuck their head in the sand though.

I'd be very surprised if Taylor was given more than he was asking for and I've seen nothing to suggest that he did.

Can't believe some people think we should just have given him a new contract simply because he wanted one. Whatever happened to earning it? When he came back from Villa, he had a really good season and got a new deal out of it... he's just had a woeful season and we should give him another new deal on more pay? Howay.

Allardyce said Taylor was offered the same as the lads his age but turned it down, so it's fair to assume he held out for improved terms.

Milner took what was on offer and is now pissed off that Taylor earns more, well he should have thought of that when he was on more than Taylor over the past 12 months.

Taylor wanted the same as Milner and N'Zogbia, whatever that was, he didn't ask for more than them.

Can't believe some people think we should just have given him a new contract simply because he wanted one. Whatever happened to earning it? When he came back from Villa, he had a really good season and got a new deal out of it... he's just had a woeful season and we should give him another new deal on more pay? Howay.

:clap:

Well done lad.

If Milner does go then I'd like to thank him for his efforts both on and off the pitch, the lad is a model pro who has always tried his best.  I can't think of any player who has been treated so badly by the club yet he's taken it all on the chin.

We almost flogged him to Villa only to change our minds at the last minute and we've had the manager publicly stating that we'd win nothing with a team full of James Milner’s.

I wish him luck as a player and a person, some of the comments in here are pathetic, Milner has always worked his bollocks off for us and if life was fair he’d be a top player, which he isn’t.  I can’t think of any player who has worked as hard as Milner over the last few years and he’s done that for us, the club and himself.

Agreed, but he's seriously fucked up with the transfer request & the PFA have in turn made his position untenable with their statement today.

Sorry but how? ???

Telling everyone its basically down to more money.

So we offer a new contract and its all sorted, no move, his position isn't untenable, he didn't make it public.

He doesn't deserve a new contract though.

If he wants to leave, he should be prepared to have the fact in the public domain.  All the club have done is confirm what he has told them, without giving the intricate details.  The decision on that bit has been made by the PFA.

Could quite easily have played the "European football" or "Need a change" card and moved on with people's best wishes.

Still that's the route his "advisors" have chosen for him.

All valid points, and yes imo he doesn't deserve a new contract, but i'd be more pissed off if he gave the waffa cup crap as a reason to leave.

What really gets me, and this is comical in my eyes; is that Taylor only 10 months ago with contract running out wanted an improved deal to match Milners, and the club said no, only 6 months ago he still wanted the same deal, and the club fuked about while the fans slated the shit out of him for demanding it (or rather his dad making an ill advised choice) yet his contract runs ever closer to the bone during the summer, and if you are to believe since his new deal has been signed its upset Milner, who now wants the same as him! Meaning, our bullshit wait about strategy has not only cost us a considerable wage hike in one player, its upset another. Now i hope i'm reading this right, as that's what a lot of people on here seem to think has happened, if so...

Comical set of events drawn out by a joke of a club, sorry like, but nothing ever changes round these parts, we're our own worst enemy.

That's true, it is all guesswork, but from memory Taylor wasn't being offered what Milner was offered, it was considerably less than him and the Zog, and he felt (rightly so) he deserved the same. I'm pretty much sure that's the case, as much as i can be.

Now people are saying he's on more and its upset Milner!

If so we've done ourselves up the arse, and it was inevitable over stalling with Taylor going to get more, just no one saw Milner having a hissy fit.

The NUFC.com article about all this sums it up - whatever the rights & wrongs of wanting a new deal, it is stupid business if the club risks losing a player who has given no trouble at all and has to sign an unknown quantity that might turn out to be similar to Dyer, Barton, Bramble etc..

If Milner was after 100,000 a week or similar, then I would be totally on the club's side, but he clearly only wants parity with Taylor, and after some of Taylor's mistakes over the Bolton game(and previously)can anyone say Milner is worth less to the side than him? Absolutely NOT.

The club messed Milner about by sending him on loan, then cancelled a transfer to Villa on deadline day 2 years ago ; he responded by coming back and still doing his best, even if he still has some faults in his game, so who has been more professional, the club or Milner..?

Its not as if the club is crammed with highly-professional individuals - if it had been, there might have been some silverware on the table over the past 10 years - and it can ill-afford to lose a player with his best years in front of him who DOES have those qualities..

Brian Clough used to take John McGovern to every club he managed, and not many people could see why, but Clough knew the guy would give 100% in every game and by doing so, set an example to those around him - he was once asked by Doug Weatherall of the Mail why he DID keep buying McGovern when none of the press guys could see any outstanding talent ; Clough's reply was 'that's because I'm a manager, and you lot are journalists, Doug !'

Maybe KK sees something similar in Milner, and Milner is certainly a more skilled player than McGovern was, even though the latter went on to play for Scotland.

This whole episode casts doubt of the running of the club - when KK was a player at Liverpool, Shanks always knew when he was getting twitchy about money(KK never had any doubts about his self-worth !!)

and he would give KK a rise BEFORE Keegan got on to him about it - that way, he avoided having to negotiate a BIG rise because he took the wind out of KK's sails first. It seems to me that some forward thinking is also required at NUFC.

I'm with Wullie on this and am not joining the "Oh shit he wants to leave, so let's splash more money on him" party.

Yes Milner was treated badly during Souness and Freddy's time, that's tough on the boy but who wasnt? Players like Bellamy and Robert who contributed twice as much as Milner were all badly treated and eventually shipped out. Since Keagan took over, he has absolutely nothing to complain about especially as the team is doing well and if we do get 2-3 more decent players in, then we're in for a good season.

If he was unhappy with Newcastle, he should have put in the transfer request earlier (pre season). Some said that maybe he didnt want to leave earlier, well nothing negative happened between pre season and now, in fact if anything, things have been rather positive both for him and the club.

If he wants better money and is using the transfer request to get that (either at a new club or get a deal here), then he can fuck off for all I care coz he does not deserve a new deal. Yes he is a useful squad player, but we can easily replace him and if we do, then we would be stronger as a team. Yes he works hard during games, but fuck me isnt that's what he's supposed to do for his pay! are we now suggesting that whoever runs for 90 minutes every game gets a guaranteed payrise? Plus if he really works that hard, we would have seen improvement in his play. Hands on my heart, I see just marginal difference between the Milner we bought and the Milner we have now.       

Worst news ever. Ok he may not be the best player, but he gives it his all. Out of the current lot I put him in the same basket as given, taylor, colo, beye, gutierrez, martins and owen. Good players that we must keep.

Guest toonchina

I don't think Milner personally wants to leave.It might have been Wise's negative attitute towards him that forced him to submit a transfer request--on the day when Keegan,Wise and Ashley meet to talk about transfers.Anyway,for this over-rated boy,8 or 10M would be a fantastic deal.

I'm sorry but WTF are you talking about ???

I'm making some sence by telling you Milner is being forced out of this club.WTF are you talking about?

You make little sense.

What are you ranting on about with Wise and his negative attitude towards Milner. Have they 'been at loggerheads'?

Just read today's(for you it's tomorrow) Times to see if I make sense here.

Oh yeah,I suspect you would say all papers are rubbish.

So China gets the Times 24 hours in advance of the UK? :lol:

You cynical fool here.A time difference of 7 hours is long enough to make it today for me and tomorrow for you.

a couple of points:

1. artilcle in the guardian this morning very good - points out that he's seen taylor go public and get what he wants therefore this is not so much for a move but to force the clubs hand; that's backed up by NUFC.com but also:

2. his agent, which is the PFA lest we forget not some fucking bloodsucker, have gone into great detail about the situation which is basically that the deal he signed was 2 years old and there's an understanding within the club that contracts will be reviewed every season but the club have flat out refused to enter talks with milner so he's taken this step

with these in mind i think it's a murky this one; why did THE CLUB break the story?  because they knew the papers were about to break it?  to force villa to make an offer?  to make a cunt out of milner?  perhaps a combination...

unless the PFA are lying then it's bad form for the club to have an agreement and then go back on it regardless of anything else, don't care what anyone says...nor do i think milner would be the type of person to lie about it, therefore i'm believing him and the PFA on that part

whatever you think of milner on the pitch he shouldn't be treated this way off it - makes me sick the way we pander to fucking scumbags like barton (amongst many others) yet milner is forced to hand in a request to get discussions about a contract

for me we should sell him now if the fees they're talking about are correct 'cause he's simply not that good and hasn't improved enough to earn a big increase however

a couple of points:

1. artilcle in the guardian this morning very good - points out that he's seen taylor go public and get what he wants therefore this is not so much for a move but to force the clubs hand; that's backed up by NUFC.com but also:

2. his agent, which is the PFA lest we forget not some f***ing bloodsucker, have gone into great detail about the situation which is basically that the deal he signed was 2 years old and there's an understanding within the club that contracts will be reviewed every season but the club have flat out refused to enter talks with milner so he's taken this step

with these in mind i think it's a murky this one; why did THE CLUB break the story?  because they knew the papers were about to break it?  to force villa to make an offer?  to make a c*** out of milner?  perhaps a combination...

unless the PFA are lying then it's bad form for the club to have an agreement and then go back on it regardless of anything else, don't care what anyone says...nor do i think milner would be the type of person to lie about it, therefore i'm believing him and the PFA on that part

whatever you think of milner on the pitch he shouldn't be treated this way off it - makes me sick the way we pander to f***ing scumbags like barton (amongst many others) yet milner is forced to hand in a request to get discussions about a contract

for me we should sell him now if the fees they're talking about are correct 'cause he's simply not that good and hasn't improved enough to earn a big increase however

:clap: Spot on, ace post. Summed it up in a nutshell for me.

a couple of points:

2. his agent, which is the PFA lest we forget not some f***ing bloodsucker, have gone into great detail about the situation which is basically that the deal he signed was 2 years old and there's an understanding within the club that contracts will be reviewed every season but the club have flat out refused to enter talks with milner so he's taken this step

with these in mind i think it's a murky this one; why did THE CLUB break the story?  because they knew the papers were about to break it?  to force villa to make an offer?  to make a c*** out of milner?  perhaps a combination...

whatever you think of milner on the pitch he shouldn't be treated this way off it - makes me sick the way we pander to f***ing scumbags like barton (amongst many others) yet milner is forced to hand in a request to get discussions about a contract

And then you return to reality and remember that he is another thick footballer who earns more than any of us for doing fuck all.  Your last point is the best one (although I happen to agree that we shouldn't be pandering to Barton either....we should've cancelled the cunts contract).  I don't know what "reviewing" contracts every year is supposed to mean.  Maybe they did "review" his contract and decided it wouldn't be appropriate to reward him with an improved deal since he hasn't improved as a player?  Or is review just a euphemism for more money?

James Milner has been a dependable regular who has made his own contribution to some very average, under performing performances over the last few years.  He doesn't deserve a new contract, and if Villa are willing to pay 10 million then sell him.  If not, then the fucker can rot in the reserves.  I'm sick of this plucky, hardworking James Milner myth.  He has made his own valuable contribution the failures of recent seasons. 

a couple of points:

And then you return to reality and remember that he is another thick footballer who earns more than any of us for doing fuck all.  Your last point is the best one (although I happen to agree that we shouldn't be pandering to Barton either....we should've cancelled the cunts contract).  I don't know what "reviewing" contracts every year is supposed to mean.  Maybe they did "review" his contract and decided it wouldn't be appropriate to reward him with an improved deal since he hasn't improved as a player?  Or is review just a euphemism for more money?

James Milner has been a dependable regular who has made his own contribution to some very average, under performing performances over the last few years.  He doesn't deserve a new contract, and if Villa are willing to pay 10 million then sell him.  If not, then the fucker can rot in the reserves.  I'm sick of this plucky, hardworking James Milner myth.  He has made his own valuable contribution the failures of recent seasons. 

read the PFA rep statement man, it makes more sense then and you'll stop talking shite - as i said unless the PFA are bullshitting there's an informal agreement to review player contracts each season based on progress, i think it says particularly for the younger players - this makes sense if they're saying in negotiations "well we're not gonna pay you "x" amount but we'll give you "y" and in the summer we'll see how you did..."

that's the nature of all performance based negotiations - the point being milners guys are saying the club refuse to honour this agreement, not that they looked at his contract and told him he's not worth any more based on performances

also do you know what he earns?  therefore how do you know he's not worth another contract?

a couple of points:

And then you return to reality and remember that he is another thick footballer who earns more than any of us for doing f*** all.  Your last point is the best one (although I happen to agree that we shouldn't be pandering to Barton either....we should've cancelled the c***s contract).  I don't know what "reviewing" contracts every year is supposed to mean.  Maybe they did "review" his contract and decided it wouldn't be appropriate to reward him with an improved deal since he hasn't improved as a player?  Or is review just a euphemism for more money?

read the PFA rep statement man, it makes more sense then and you'll stop talking s**** - as i said unless the PFA are bullshitting there's an informal agreement to review player contracts each season based on progress, i think it says particularly for the younger players - this makes sense if they're saying in negotiations "well we're not gonna pay you "x" amount but we'll give you "y" and in the summer we'll see how you did..."

that's the nature of all performance based negotiations - the point being milners guys are saying the club refuse to honour this agreement, not that they looked at his contract and told him he's not worth any more based on performances

also do you know what he earns?  therefore how do you know he's not worth another contract?

How do you know that the club did not review his contract and decided that he does not deserve a new one?

Plus its perfectly possible for one to say Milner does not deserve a new contract even if one does not know how much he is getting currently. It's simple really, let's say he is earning 'X' amount in 2006/2007, if he has not improved in 2007/2008 then he does not deserve a new contract regardless of what X amount is. 

Guest Major Major

If NUFC seriously want to sell Milner, I hope he comes to SAFC...although obviously I haven't seen him as much (or in fact at all in person , living in Thailand) he seems a solid, dependable player who is always available for selection. While you're at it, that Owen bloke...

a couple of points:

And then you return to reality and remember that he is another thick footballer who earns more than any of us for doing f*** all.  Your last point is the best one (although I happen to agree that we shouldn't be pandering to Barton either....we should've cancelled the c***s contract).  I don't know what "reviewing" contracts every year is supposed to mean.  Maybe they did "review" his contract and decided it wouldn't be appropriate to reward him with an improved deal since he hasn't improved as a player?  Or is review just a euphemism for more money?

read the PFA rep statement man, it makes more sense then and you'll stop talking s**** - as i said unless the PFA are bullshitting there's an informal agreement to review player contracts each season based on progress, i think it says particularly for the younger players - this makes sense if they're saying in negotiations "well we're not gonna pay you "x" amount but we'll give you "y" and in the summer we'll see how you did..."

How do you know that the club did not review his contract and decided that he does not deserve a new one?

Plus its perfectly possible for one to say Milner does not deserve a new contract even if one does not know how much he is getting currently. It's simple really, let's say he is earning 'X' amount in 2006/2007, if he has not improved in 2007/2008 then he does not deserve a new contract regardless of what X amount is. 

right i've read the PFA statement again in more detail and it comes down to this:

"It was made clear on two occasions there was not going to be a new contract. Therefore he felt that he was left with no option."

therefore i'm talking shite as it happens, read it before i woke up, but basically he's handed in his request as the club have refused to offer him an improved contract which he feels he deserves

so to rip up most of what i've said before then i have no problem from either side, the club or the player; if milner feels he's not valued enough he's within his rights to ask for a transfer imo...you have to presume there's a strong "taylor influence" here this coming so soon after his deal was signed

i'll reiterate though, none of us know what he's being paid, he might be in the right and i'd be tempted to think he is