James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Mucky01

Lock the windows and doors, Keegan may be about to bolt..

:frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

Week by week I'm more convinced that Mike Ashley just doesn't understand the nature of the business. And Skirge might be right - if Ashley sells Milner against Kegan's wishes, transfer request or not, then King Kev could very well walk.

I don’t think he will, but a lot of season ticket holders and corporate seats already have – something needs to happen and soon.

KK has kept his mouth shut to the media so far because he must have faith in this regime, start worrying when this changes.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

If Keegan walked then Ashley etc would be hounded out. They'd have to be thick as fuck not to know this.

How could THE FANS hound him out?

If Keegan walked then Ashley etc would be hounded out. They'd have to be thick as fuck not to know this.

It was a figure of speech. I mean they wouldn't be very popular. At all.

Guest Mucky01

If Keegan walked then Ashley etc would be hounded out. They'd have to be thick as f*** not to know this.

Big Sam Out witch hunt, Sack the Board campaign before that, for starters.

In a thread littered with madness and mayhem, this could be the sanest post thus far...

The anti-Milner brigade have, in their indignation, thrust aside reason and poured derision on the young winger. Several times throughout this thread well-reasoned posts defending Milner's actions have been ignored - usually in favour of "I'm too lazy to read what others think, but Milner is a cunt". Well, I'm with Milner, and I'd be happy to debate with anyone prepared to reason but I don't expect to...

Week by week I'm more convinced that Mike Ashley just doesn't understand the nature of the business. And Skirge might be right - if Ashley sells Milner against Kegan's wishes, transfer request or not, then King Kev could very well walk.

Can I point out that MILNER HANDED IN A FUCKING TRANSFER REQUEST!!! If he wants to go how is it Ashley's fault? How do we know that Milner isn't asking for a ridiculous rise? How do we know MO'N hasn't been in his ear telling him how much he could get at Villa?

Personally I don't think we should be shelling out a new deal for a player who only signed one 12 months ago and is demanding a pay rise on the back of a years worth poor performances. He's got three years left on his deal and if that means we can get £10 million for a player who is all effort, no ability then i'm right behind the idea.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

It was a figure of speech. I mean they wouldn't be very popular. At all.

Ok. I agree with that.

Guest fraser

If Keegan were to walk out over this it would be a matter of principle involving his role and could have nothing to do with the quality of the player.

Milner is neither great nor appalling. Anything over £9m would be very, very good money for him. Has anybody ever watched him and honestly thought that he's too good for us even when we were at our worst last season? How many games has he turned around? How many wins are due to some crucial intervention on his part? In particular compare and contrast Bentley and Milner in our defeat at Ewood last season. We'd have got something from that match had it not been for Bentley; Milner played and could not influence the game to the same extent and never will be able to.

I don't want to sell him because he's a valuable squad player but if the money were as good as appears to be on offer then why not?

Also, the PFA agent says that the transfer request was kept confidential in accordance with the wishes of the club; this implies that the player was ambivalent, at least, towards the issue. What, then, is their objection at the affair being made public? Tactical rather than anything else.

Also, the PFA agent says that the transfer request was kept confidential in accordance with the wishes of the club; this implies that the player was ambivalent, at least, towards the issue. What, then, is their objection at the affair being made public? Tactical rather than anything else.

Probably annoyed that it made it look like Milner had handed in the request with 5 days to go in the window, rather than with two weeks to go.

Milner has shown his true colours, he's only motivated by money, therefore any reaction by the crowd should be a negative one, as he can't just feel he should get a new contract when he feels like it, does he think he run's the club or something?

i don't think Milner's done anything wrong in trying to get more money, and I don't think we've done anything wrong in deciding we'd rather have £10m to buy someone better.

well, he's spat his dummy out hasn't he, for someone saying he's loyal, then he's the least committed player in the squad for saying he wants to leave over a payrise

i haven't seen michael owen hand in a transfer request over his contract

Totally different situation - Owen's sitting on the final year of his contract and can talk to other clubs in Jan - he holds all the cards on that one. Milner is one year into a four year deal, so the club kind of have him over a barrel.

It's the same concept though - pay me £X, or I'm off.

In a thread littered with madness and mayhem, this could be the sanest post thus far...

The anti-Milner brigade have, in their indignation, thrust aside reason and poured derision on the young winger. Several times throughout this thread well-reasoned posts defending Milner's actions have been ignored - usually in favour of "I'm too lazy to read what others think, but Milner is a c***". Well, I'm with Milner, and I'd be happy to debate with anyone prepared to reason but I don't expect to...

All of the signings made since the new scouting regime was put in place have looked top draw. We have signed four players in Jonas, Coloccini, Bassong and Guthrie who have all settled straight in, look to have good attitudes and are a massive improvement over those who have left.

When was the last time we could say that about one new signing (other than Beye), let alone four?!

The problem isn't a lack of funds, commitment and knowledge. It's that, as a club based in the North East, who have not qualified for Europe, who are not likely to challenge for honours, we just aren't an attractive proposition for the £10m+ players.

If another club can offer a player European football, the potential to win things and/or a nearby Selfridges/Harvey Nick’s for their wife, they’re always going to pick them over us.

All of the signings made since the new scouting regime was put in place have looked top draw. We have signed four players in Jonas, Coloccini, Bassong and Guthrie who have all settled straight in, look to have good attitudes and are a massive improvement over those who have left.

When was the last time we could say that about one new signing (other than Beye), let alone four?!

Sorry for picking on Wullie, but:

Thought all four of the new signings were very impressive today.

Agreed. Makes a luvverly change for our new signings to be so determined and assured, rather than obsessed with their bank balance, whining how they'd prefer to play for Man U/Liverpool/Arsenal (but still get the obscene money we give them) and waving sick notes.

Viduka and Smith I am paticularly delighted with.

Keegan needs to accept the Board's position here. We're actually reasonably well off for the wide positions, with Jonas, Zoggy, Duff and Lua Lua coming through. Milner's been good, but not outstanding, and we don't need him badly enough to allow him to force the club's hand.

With the strikers, similarly KK can't expect the Board to shell out big money just to cover for injuries, none of which are long-term. The thinking of the Board has to be long-term, and strategic, not reactive to short-term considerations.

Can I point out that MILNER HANDED IN A FUCKING TRANSFER REQUEST!!! If he wants to go how is it Ashley's fault? How do we know that Milner isn't asking for a ridiculous rise? How do we know MO'N hasn't been in his ear telling him how much he could get at Villa?

Personally I don't think we should be shelling out a new deal for a player who only signed one 12 months ago and is demanding a pay rise on the back of a years worth poor performances. He's got three years left on his deal and if that means we can get £10 million for a player who is all effort, no ability then i'm right behind the idea.

I wouldn't call that reason, but here we go:

Yes, Milner signed a new contract 12 months ago. Did you read the fact that this was 12 months after it was promised to him? And that such a promise was to only give him parity with what Villa offered him, an offer we summarily pulled from under his hand as he was about to sign it?

And yes, he might not have signed that contract if he didn't like it. But to me, it looks like the club played hardball for 12 months (breaching an agreement in doing so) and eventually Milner decided being fucked up the ass by a six inch cock was better than being fucked by a foot long shlong.

Cut to August 2008, and by now Milner has seen Taylor get a new contract (and the figure 35k "announced" by the pres), and as brummie has said, his U-21 team-mate Agbonlahor has told him about the three contract extensions he has received in less than two seasons.

And as difficult as it is to create an analogy, just think of your own workplace - if the bloke beside you is doing a similar task, as well or worse but with better renumeration, it's not about money. Cash is the measure of appreiation - especially in the situation of stratospheric salaries. 10k extra per week isn't going to impact on the material quality of his life, but it certainly shows him how much he means to NUFC...

PS Just before I'm outed as a Milner fanboi - I wouldn't pick Milner in the best strength first team, but I would say he is an important part of our first team squad...

Keegan needs to accept the Board's position here. We're actually reasonably well off for the wide positions, with Jonas, Zoggy, Duff and Lua Lua coming through. Milner's been good, but not outstanding, and we don't need him badly enough to allow him to force the club's hand.

With the strikers, similarly KK can't expect the Board to shell out big money just to cover for injuries, none of which are long-term. The thinking of the Board has to be long-term, and strategic, not reactive to short-term considerations.

Completely agree, I would hope however that at least one person there is savvy enough to exploit loan deals to cover the short term issues

Again though that's assuming the board want to sell Milner. If they did, why would it get to the point of him having to put in a transfer request? If they wanted to sell him they'd just sell him. Probably the other week when Villa bid for him.

We're all happy to accept KK is fibbing when he bigs up Smith and Ameobi, how do we know he's not doing the same with Milner?

But, the board couldn't surely expect him to do well if for the first month or so of the season he has next to no forwards upfront?

None of those are as good as Milner on the right wing.

Ashley is a fucking idiot, and he's apparently populated his Board with fucking idiots.

Keegan woudl be well off out of this shambles.

Big club?? Don't make me fucking laugh. We're going to struggle to remain an avergae sized club with these arseholes.

Ashley is a fucking idiot, and he's apparently populated his Board with fucking idiots.

Big club?? Don't make me fucking laugh. We're going to struggle to remain an avergae sized club with these arseholes.

Why so serious?

Guest neesy111

tbf

based on this summer

ashley wanted smith to leave and is prepared to sell milner

both players who contribute little to the team

while keegan wants to keep both

seems to me that Ashley, is along with the fans here and knows more than what people say

3 weeks ago 75% of the fans here wanted him out, so what's with the change of heart