James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ken Bates:

Meanwhile, the club is also monitoring events elsewhere during the transfer window with the chairman revealing a possible windfall could be in the pipeline.

"We have a sell-on clause on a player in demand at another club," he explained.

"We were approached to take a figure to buy out the rights which suggests he may be set to move on.

"We're happy to ride with it, see what happens and take our share."

Don't want to give them cunts owt, let him rot :p

Don't know why everyone thinks SWP would be any better, gets to the byline then skies a cross into the crowd, same goes for Lennon both hugely overrated.

I'm assuming that there will be vids on UTUBE (in work and can't check) but check out SWP in his Citeh days.

A front 4 of SWP, Jonas, Owen and Martins would scare the winnits out of defenders

Surprising fact is that Shaun Wright-Phillips is 27 years old. I'd be a bit worried about buying another Chelsea reject who has barely played for the last few years. I'd rather we bought cheaper from abroad.

really??? 27?

Guest sicko2ndbest

I think he sees Gabby and Ashley Young jumping in front of him for England and has panicked

Anything over 8 million will be a good deal for us, as he is only a squad player when all are fit

Guest black n white

should have sacked barton and gave milner a wage increase.........its a joke

yep, thats the problem here - Barton.

makes you think how much barton got paid for being in jail and then possibly for a lengthy

ban compared to what milner will earn for actually playing

I am glad that he has finally shown his true colours, especially given that the fact that he signed an improved deal last year means that we are likely to get a decent price for him.

Considering that he cannot cross, take corners or take people on and that he struggles to put the ball in the back of the net (bar the odd wonder goal), I wish him all the best persuading the fans of his new club that he is not another overrated English player.

Re first sentance. What a load of rubbish!

OK, so he could have put a request in sooner. Maybe something has happened to tip the balance in the favour of moving in the last week.

Would you rather he drops hints in the papers that he wants awy whilst sitting on a loyalty bonus from us?

Its refreshing to see players slap in a transfer request when they want to leave. Barry could learn a lot here

Guest Guinness

We can't afford to lose any players due to the size of our squad, but if he doesn't want to be here then he can fuck off. Just hope we actually replace him and sign the other players Keegan needs.

I am glad that he has finally shown his true colours, especially given that the fact that he signed an improved deal last year means that we are likely to get a decent price for him.

Considering that he cannot cross, take corners or take people on and that he struggles to put the ball in the back of the net (bar the odd wonder goal), I wish him all the best persuading the fans of his new club that he is not another overrated English player.

OK, so he could have put a request in sooner. Maybe something has happened to tip the balance in the favour of moving in the last week.

Would you rather he drops hints in the papers that he wants awy whilst sitting on a loyalty bonus from us?

Its refreshing to see players slap in a transfer request when they want to leave. Barry could learn a lot here

Did you read this mate? This is after LAST NIGHT'S game!!

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/08/27/james-milner-happy-to-focus-on-football-72703-21615391/

Guest sittingontheball

I'm not a fan of Milner, and all the rumours suggest MON will pay big. He can go for me.

Possibly its time for all our deal makers and talent scouts to prove their worth. There's only a week to go and the pressure is on! I wouldn't say no to SWP though, especially if it means stopping him going to Everton or the like.

Guest guinness_fiend

Has Milner not stated that he has been unhappy for ages, hence the link with Villa for the past four or five transfer windows?

I could be imagining it, but I could have sworn that he has been "on his way out" for a couple of years now.

In any case, I agree that it is refreshing to see players hand in transfer requests but, once again, the power has been displaced from the club and onto the player.  He is under contract and should Villa (or whichever club is apparently interested) decide not to pick him up, I wish him all the luck in the world trying to perfect his skills in the reserves.

Milner transfer request rocks Toon

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/08/27/milner-transfer-request-rocks-toon-72703-21616904/

Anal's take on the situation....

Love the section:

---------

"The news has taken the gloss off United’s victory and will have left Kevin Keegan shattered.

Keegan was actually upbeat when he gave TV interviews immediately after the final whistle last night. However, he was then summoned into the ball boys’ room at the Ricoh Stadium by United’s managing director Derek Llambias.

Keegan was clearly subdued when he emerged from this meeting and he made a point of making several references to his 22-year-old winger when he spoke to the written Press."

I can just see KK being dragged into the ball-boys room by Llambias to be told the board was going to sell Milner. A single naked lightbulb swinging, the smell of liniment, and a boyish 57 year old being told by a London suit he was losing one of his players :lol:

Milner to Villa

Barry to Liverpool

SWP to Newcastle

That would make sense, but there's no link between Liverpool getting Barry and SWP coming here is there?

None at all. It's purely speculation but we know that Liverpool want Barry and he wants to play for them. It seems that Villa want Milner and he wants to go. We won't sell Milner unless we have a top class winger in to replace him. Keegan rates SWP and chelsea are seemingly happy to let him leaves.

It seems like a realistic scenario to me.

Surprising fact is that Shaun Wright-Phillips is 27 years old. I'd be a bit worried about buying another Chelsea reject who has barely played for the last few years. I'd rather we bought cheaper from abroad.

really??? 27?

Born 25 October 1981.

26 then  :razz:

Can't understand why anyone is happy that a young, first team regular, in a paper thin squad, puts in a transfer request near the end of the transfer window. This suggest that he's not happy with where he sees the club going & knows other clubs want him more & are better equiped for success.

He will never have pace but he is a consistent performer.

We'd better have some pretty big rabbits waiting in a top hat somewhere.

I bloody well hope that this meeting today gets things moving. Our decent start to the season is in danger of glossing over a severe lack in investment. 

Agreed.

It's irrelevant what a bunch of people on the internet think about Milner, the fact is the manager rates him as a regular first team player and wants to keep him. The club have known he wants a new contract for ages, and yet have done nothing to resolve the situation - either agree the new contract or sell him in time to bring in a replacement if he really does want too much cash (I doubt that tbh). It's the same with Owen, where the longer it goes on unresolved the worse it is for the club. Whoever is in charge of player contracts whether it be Ashley, Llambias, Vetere or Wise is doing a pretty s*** job IMO.

We should be giving players new deals every year?

Yes actually, I don't see why not if we want to keep them. With the Webster ruling no contract is worth the paper its written on for more than 3 years anyway. Thanks for not bothering to read the whole sentence though.

Has Milner not stated that he has been unhappy for ages, hence the link with Villa for the past four or five transfer windows?

I could be imagining it, but I could have sworn that he has been "on his way out" for a couple of years now.

In any case, I agree that it is refreshing to see players hand in transfer requests but, once again, the power has been displaced from the club and onto the player.  He is under contract and should Villa (or whichever club is apparently interested) decide not to pick him up, I wish him all the luck in the world trying to perfect his skills in the reserves.

I'm so gald Jonas saw out his contract

Guest musika

Can't be money, shirley?

You'd be surprised what it can do to a players ego to see their fellow teammates (ie Steven Taylor) getting preferential treatment in terms of the clubs wage structure. You see the same thing happen in all the big clubs in England, e.g Terry -> Lampard, Adebayor -> Everyone else in the team (hence why Arsenal were being so stingy, to prevent this sort of thing from happening) etc.

Milner probably feels that he should be on par with Taylor, and let's be honest, even Lampard - who was meant to be "Chelsea through and through" - had one foot out the door until they put him on top of the money pile.

really??? 27?

Born 25 October 1981.

26 then  :razz:

and 10 months.