KK resigns - see OP for new club statement issued September 6th

Guest Darth Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest The Corner

anyone else think this has probably ruined xisco career before it's begun? He's made some comments on the saga on skysports.com

anyone else think this has probably ruined xisco career before it's begun? He's made some comments on the saga on skysports.com

No, not at all. I can understand his frustration, but as a pro you just have to focus on your football rather than the manager... Otherwise you're fucked anyway.

I wouldn't blame any of the players if they want out now.. someone like N'Zogbia is going to have a 6th manager in his time here soon..

Martins, Owen, Given and all are probably getting sick of this too.. those that can attract clubs in better positions will be mad not to jump ship in the next transfer window, unless we make some sort of miracle managerial appointment.

and Poyet.. wtf? the day Gustavo Poyet comes through the doors of SJP as a manager, I'm selling my car and coming over there to put him out

first opportunity I've had to post since his resignation was confirmed.  It doesn't surprise me, fair play to KK for his reasons to resign, if that were me, I'd probably have done the same.  As a chairman/owner you simply can't undermine your manager in my opinion.  If you do, you always run the risk of what's happened to us.

RE:  Gus Poyet.  I will be extremely disappointed if this is Ashley's choice to replace him.  NOW is the time to push the boat out and bring in a proven manager, not try this idea of Poyet and Wise being mates and being able to work in harmony.

"When I flew in on Monday, the club presented me to Kevin Keegan. He talked to me in a bit of detail about his plans for the footballing development of the club" - Xisco.

So it's obvious Keegan was savvy to the idea then if he spoke to him.

"Hi son, I'm Kevin. I'm going to be the man the fans are chanting and protesting for over the next few weeks. Have you met your new boss Dennis?"

"When I flew in on Monday, the club presented me to Kevin Keegan. He talked to me in a bit of detail about his plans for the footballing development of the club" - Xisco.

So it's obvious Keegan was savvy to the idea then if he spoke to him.

Hummm..... It would be interesting to know who exactly Keegan was thinking about when he said that players were being bought who he didn't want. He seemed genuinely pleased with the others, so that only leaves Fernandez, a one year loan signing. Hardly a resignation issue.

It could be about Keegan wanting to buy another player, and the Board refusing. Or only agreeing if another player (Smith, Barton, Owen?) was taken off the wage bill. Pure speculation, but that's all we're left with here.

September 5, 2008

Gabby Logan

Ok, let's all laugh at Newcastle United, the new Manchester City

The saying goes that when a man marries his mistress he creates a job vacancy. When a football club who have endured years of ridicule find themselves in the hands of a man many times richer than Roman Abramovich, there is room for a new Manchester City. The strongest contenders for the role are Newcastle United, who are morphing into the club at which most people have a good chuckle and thank the Lord they do not support.

It has come to a head this week with the Kevin Keegan debacle. However, we (I am going to have to own up to my allegiance) have been in training for this new role for some time and becoming the new Manchester City may be the making of us.

First some background on the training to become the new City: promotion to the top flight, great signings, almost champions, everyone's second club, buy Alan Shearer, flirt with Europe, brush with relegation, two disappointing FA Cup Finals, mid-table mediocrity, a succession of interesting managerial appointments, some strange signings, no longer everyone's second club, Keegan's dramatic exit. It has been an action-packed and at times farcical 16 years.

Clubs who get rid of managers before September have either been recently taken over by billionaires, or they are run by people who sit uneasily on the line between genius and madness. Why give someone a pre-season to get a squad of players ready and then sack them a few games in? There is no logical explanation; there is nothing logical about football any more.

While City fans are getting giddy with the prospect of some more big signings in January, they need to be prepared for the change in public reaction to their club. All that kept everyone from finding Chelsea's success repulsive was a succession of loveable, charismatic or peculiar managers. We secretly hoped that they would fail and prove that money alone could not buy success. Now Dr Sulaiman al-Fahim has arrived on the scene, we know that there is no point being cynical; City could be in the Champions League final in three seasons. In the face of the new City, Chelsea will resemble a cosy, family-owned club.

So, with the power base shifting, somewhere down the global football food chain there is a niche market opening up for Newcastle. While City risk losing some neutral empathy, we should be picking up the pieces. Britain may be fast turning into a nation used to winning and winners after last month's Olympic Games in Beijing, but we do not want to become Australian in our attitude to sport. There should always be room for a football club in the Premier League who are more Fawlty Towers than Trump Towers. I am quite looking forward to our new status, and here is why:

We will become more appealing to the neutral. Most fans started getting irked by Newcastle around the back end of the last decade. We were accused of being above our station, deluded in our expectations of being a top-four club. No one can accuse us of that any more. Our expectations are much lower - a good left back and stability would be nice.

We make you feel good about yourself. “Oh well,” you will say when you glance around your settled squad of players, your suited and booted chairman who drinks orange juice in the stand and your manager who has been in charge for three years. “It may all be quite sensible and a bit mid-table here, but at least we are not Newcastle.” It is nice to make people feel good about themselves.

We can do self-deprecation. One lone City fan was pictured outside the club's stadium with a tea towel on his head when it was announced that the Abu Dhabi United Group was taking over. If that had been us, there would have been at least 30,000 fans appearing in their lunch hour with tea towels at the ready outside St James' Park. We have had to take ourselves seriously in the past few years, maintaining the pretence of wanting to be a top-four club. Now we can let it go and recapture the humour in our football.

We will pick our battles and live off the small victories for longer. Didn't you secretly have a soft spot for Sven-Göran Eriksson when City did the double over Manchester United last season? It was that David and Goliath thing. City fans dined out on it for a season. We will treat our Tyne-Wear derbies with the respect they deserve and we shall arrange open-top bus parades if we do the double.

In admitting some kind of defeat, I am crying into the page. It is like the middle-aged woman who gives up the gym, the diets and the highlights for old age, grey hair and chunky thighs. Somewhere in the attic there is a photograph of Newcastle United holding aloft a trophy, but we are going to have to give up the ghost for a while.

Poor Gabby, come here and i'll comfort you!

I feel sorry for Keegan - the latest in a long line of genuine football men, going back to Shankly, Burkinshaw etc,  forced out by the pace of change in the game.   

Maybe he wasn't the right or best man for the job but he was your man and rightly or wrongly you stick by him - Ashley, Wise or whoever hung him out to dry obviously hasn't spent 5 minutes in the Strawberry or any other north east bar because they would have known what kind of a reaction to expect.

At least we won't see Ashley in a toon shirt or in the Bigg market anytime soon and at least the minority of you who bought the myth that he was a genuine enthusiast trying to join the family has been shattered.

I can't imagine for one second he would appoint Wise though.  If he did, the only conclusion to draw would be that he hates NUFC and the fans and he wants to punish you.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_4098686,00.html

BEVAN WARNING FOR MAGPIES

Posted 05/09/08 09:38

League Managers' Association chief executive Richard Bevan has called on Newcastle to sort out their internal structure to ensure the next manager at St James' Park does not suffer the same fate as Kevin Keegan.

Keegan has quit for the second time in his career, citing interference from above, particularly having players he did not want foisted upon him, as the deciding factor.

Fans have been quick to blame owner Mike Ashley and Dennis Wise, who was installed as executive director (football) after Keegan's appointment in January.

The club are now looking for their sixth manager in four years and Bevan believes the next man who takes over must have his role clearly defined and be happy with his place in the power base.

"Newcastle failed to create a structure where Kevin Keegan could flourish," he said.

"It was like having an orchestra with three conductors and sooner or later it was going to break down."

Reports suggest Keegan is liable to pay Newcastle £2million compensation for walking just eight months into a three-and-a-half-year contract.

However, Bevan believes there are more pressing issues for Ashley and his board to concentrate on.

"I think I would have liked to hear Newcastle talking about how to build a model that works, how they are going to create a clear chain of command," he said.

"The dispute between Kevin and the club is in the hands of the lawyers but at no time in our discussions did Kevin talk about compensation.

"The most important thing for Kevin was that the manager must have the right to manage.

"A couple of nights ago I was with Kevin for a long period of time and his sole focus was with the fans.

"He was torn and when he had no alternative to resign his thoughts were for the fans. That sends a message to Newcastle."

LMA chairman Howard Wilkinson agreed with Bevan that the club's choice to have a football executive above Keegan was doomed to failure.

"If you are going to work in a football club then the most prominent person in that club - certainly as far as the public is concerned and you could argue as far as anyone is concerned - is the man called the manager or the guy who is responsible for the first team," he told Sky Sports News.

"So to create a position which is going to result in friction through lack of communication, through a failure to communicate what the role is etc, seems to be a recipe for disaster.

"Particularly if you bring someone into that position between manager and board after you have appointed a manager."

Bevan said he was not opposed to the continental approach - which is increasingly being employed at English clubs - where one man coaches the team and player recruitment is left to an official at boardroom level.

What he did object to, however, was a change in structure having already employed the manager.

"I've heard a few people saying the continental model doesn't work but I think it does in certain situations," Bevan told Radio 5 Live.

"It is different for Kevin because he was in charge before other people came on board.

"The next person who comes on board has to make sure there is a clear chain of command and there are shared goals.

"But is it more about the business. The problem is accentuated in football in that managers are being sacked every 12-18 months.

"What we have to do is ensure that members are better equipped to deal with this.

"We have to work together as a clearer unit and understand what is important to football and the fans and I am sure the game will move forward."

League Managers' Association chief executive Richard Bevan has called on Newcastle to sort out their internal structure to ensure the next manager at St James' Park does not suffer the same fate as Kevin Keegan.

Keegan has quit for the second time in his career, citing interference from above, particularly having players he did not want foisted upon him, as the deciding factor.

Fans have been quick to blame owner Mike Ashley and Dennis Wise, who was installed as executive director (football) after Keegan's appointment in January.

The club are now looking for their sixth manager in four years and Bevan believes the next man who takes over must have his role clearly defined and be happy with his place in the power base.

"Newcastle failed to create a structure where Kevin Keegan could flourish," he said.

"It was like having an orchestra with three conductors and sooner or later it was going to break down."

Reports suggest Keegan is liable to pay Newcastle £2million compensation for walking just eight months into a three-and-a-half-year contract.

However, Bevan believes there are more pressing issues for Ashley and his board to concentrate on.

"I think I would have liked to hear Newcastle talking about how to build a model that works, how they are going to create a clear chain of command," he said.

"The dispute between Kevin and the club is in the hands of the lawyers but at no time in our discussions did Kevin talk about compensation.

"The most important thing for Kevin was that the manager must have the right to manage.

"A couple of nights ago I was with Kevin for a long period of time and his sole focus was with the fans.

"He was torn and when he had no alternative to resign his thoughts were for the fans. That sends a message to Newcastle."

LMA chairman Howard Wilkinson agreed with Bevan that the club's choice to have a football executive above Keegan was doomed to failure.

"If you are going to work in a football club then the most prominent person in that club - certainly as far as the public is concerned and you could argue as far as anyone is concerned - is the man called the manager or the guy who is responsible for the first team," he told Sky Sports News.

"So to create a position which is going to result in friction through lack of communication, through a failure to communicate what the role is etc, seems to be a recipe for disaster.

"Particularly if you bring someone into that position between manager and board after you have appointed a manager."

Bevan said he was not opposed to the continental approach - which is increasingly being employed at English clubs - where one man coaches the team and player recruitment is left to an official at boardroom level.

What he did object to, however, was a change in structure having already employed the manager.

"I've heard a few people saying the continental model doesn't work but I think it does in certain situations," Bevan told Radio 5 Live.

"It is different for Kevin because he was in charge before other people came on board.

"The next person who comes on board has to make sure there is a clear chain of command and there are shared goals.

"But is it more about the business. The problem is accentuated in football in that managers are being sacked every 12-18 months.

"What we have to do is ensure that members are better equipped to deal with this.

"We have to work together as a clearer unit and understand what is important to football and the fans and I am sure the game will move forward."

sensible stuff. this is obviously high on the agenda at the LMA with two managers resigning in the space of a few days for identical reasons.

It does look like it came down to one of Keegan or Wise going and the club made the decision that it wasn't going to be Wise, pathetic.

It's not just Keegan's departure alone that upsets me - it's the simple fact that we've now got undertake the whole finding and hiring a manager process, when the season has already started, when they can't bring in any of their own men and when there aren't many proven managers out there anyway. Plus who would be attracted to a club where the fans are almost all against the men behind the scenes, and where the players will have been hurt by all of this?

I know this is premature but I'm going to write this season off as another lower-mid table finish. Anything more than that would be impressive and unexpected.

I'm sick of writing seasons off, it's beyond a joke now.

This is true Mick - there will be big-time repercussions for the club after all this.

Its the last straw for many fans - that will become apparent as the season goes on...

Terry Mac & Ameobi are like bad smells, they never go away

What's your problem with Terry Mac? Or are you just jumping on the band wagon?

Do you actually know what role he fulfills at the club?

Were you bad mouthing him during his two spells as a player with the club or

as Keegan's right hand man during his first successful spell as manager?

Just interested.

Guest Micktoon

The daft thing about this is that I think we've actually got a canny squad, could do with a couple more fullbacks. I also think Kev could have done well with them.

There you go though back to scratch, I swear this fucking club is cursed.

Just got this sent at work.  I'll hold my hands up and say it didn't come with a source so could be a load of bollocks but it does seem believable.  Don't shoot the messenger as they say...

Last Friday Wise came to Keegan with Schweinstiger apparently signing, Keegan was happy with that, as he had actually sanctioned the selling of Milner, £12m good business.

Then apparently Wise came back saying that he hadn't actually signed him, it had fallen through due Jiminez not backing the signing. Keegan was fuming but was told there were still targets in sights for the end of the window.

Keegan went to Arsenal not happy.

Monday morning Wise, Jiminez and Keegan meet again. Keegan was waiting for them to say such and such is signing. But no.

Instead was a list of most of the key players of the squad with price tags next to them. Apparently Shay Given had a 10 million price tag and also Owen was on the list. Keegan was asked if he had backup purchases should any of these players be sold.

Not only that Xisco et al were on the signing on list, Keegan said he didn't want any of them.

Keegan was furious and went mental. Wise had a rant and basically said well its either you put up with what we are doing or you're "sacked". Keegan said "well I'm sacked then" and stormed off to first his family home in teesside (!) then to a family friends pad in Manchester.

Keegan didn't have any contact with Newcastle for a day (hence why NUFC didn't make a statement until 7pm) until he saw their statement, he then went to the LMA and told his side of the story.

Yesterday Derek Llambias went down to try and bring Keegan back but it failed and they instead sorted out compensation etc. for Keegan leaving.