KK resigns - see OP for new club statement issued September 6th

Guest Darth Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Did he make a complete pigs ear of it though?

I don't think Mike Ashley is really the problem, it seems to me that it's more Dennis Wise that Keegan has the problem with.

Still, Mike Ashley did appoint Wise I suppose.

Anyway, if Keegan couldn't manage under the current set-up, I'm glad he's left.

No point having an unhappy manager.

No!, it was actually Keegan who chose Wise, Ashley gave him list to choose from, he chose Wise.

Yeah, but come on, the list could've consisted of Tom, Dick and Harry for all we know.

If Dennis Wise was the best choice, I hate to think who was on the list.

What's the more likely scenario truthfully though.

a) Keegan isn't happy with transfer policy, has a go at Wise or whoever, so they sack him.

b) Keegan isn't happy with transfer policy, has a go at Wise or whoever, they tell him that that's the way things are going to be run whether he likes it or not, and Keegan disagrees and walks.

Depends how heated it got - if it got as far as "I'm not working with that odious little shit" then Lambias might have said fine then you're sacked.

What pisses me off more are these two-bit pundits and ex-players who sit on TV and tell the fans what they want to hear. Ashley has made an unforgiveable mistake, but we're all human. He got into to a job and a situation he couldn't handle and made a complete pig's ear of it. Does he really deserve the greif he's getting?

Big if's here as none of us know what has gone on, if Ashley made a mistake then he's made it worse by not correcting it during the last 2 or 3 days.

Newcastle are ready to fight Keegan all the way, however, with a source close to the board pouring scorn on his managerial ability, especially his lack of knowledge of emerging players and the transfer market. It was claimed that Keegan was only interested in signing world-class players, presenting the board with a wish list of signings valued at more than £200 million, including Ronaldinho, Thierry Henry and Frank Lampard.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article4678988.ece

:kasper:

Guys I really think we are going to have to come to terms with the fact Keegan was trying desperately to convince the owner to spend the type of money he didn't want to and was ultimately unsuccesful.

He wasn't aware of enough emerging talent, which was the type of squad we wanted to build, and therefore players were brought in for him.

He was simply the wrong man to hire. He got caught up in a billionaire taking over as most did, and wanted a ton of big players, but this was never Ashley's plan.

media drivel

Yeah, cos thats the lesson of this summer, the media are wrong about everything.

Wake up man, they know a lot more about this than you realise.

I split the blame for this, I think this whole debacle is 20% Keegan's fault and 80% Ashley's fault.

I do not believe that Keegan should have just chucked a hissy-fit and walked away.  I think he should have at least played it out and given his all to make the team he has today work.  If he then failed and Newcastle was a struggling mid-table or bottom half team by Christmas he would have had the right to point to the squad, talk about how it's not his team and how he has done his level best and that Wise is making a farce out of the club.  In all likelihood he would have then won the argument and Wise would be fired.  However, by just spitting the dummy and walking away, Wise has possibly got what he was trying to have all the time, a crack at managing NUFC.

However, if Ashley hadn't put this stupid structure in operation in the first place none of this would have happened.  If Wise and Jiminez had have been hired (fine, Ashley wanted them) but had been structured as reporting to Keegan to assist him with the hiring process then Keegan would have known all new players coming in and all players leaving and would have had the control of the squad he needs.  The vast bulk of this crisis for the club is caused by Ashley's decision to make the staff hiring and firing players more senior (or as senior) as the squad manager.  Ashley doesn't seem to understand that in football the role is called Manager, not Coach, for a reason.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.  I'm going to go and be depressed now.

He couldn't have chosen a worse time to find his principles. He's made the right decision at the worst possible time for the club. 

Some people live by principles, I wouldn't criticise anybody for that.  Sometimes you've got to do what you think is right to maintain pride in yourself.

If he resigns, doesn't he not get compensation?

:lol:

are you that naiive to think he's waited 2 more days just to walk away??

I was unsure, so I asked. Asshole.

"Discussions" were "ongoing" for three days..? Yeah right, more like they sent Keegan a letter full of "practical suggestions on how to move forward [...] Any concerns, just give us a call" which took two days to arrive at the Keegan residence courtesy of Royal Mail and seconds after opening it he made the LMA issue the statement that he had resigned.. ;)

What a shambles..

The thing is though, it's not a stupid structure.

It's got us 4 very good players so far this summer, with 2 still yet to be proven.

Better strike rate than previous years anyway.

The only downside of the structure is that it quite obviously hasn't worked properly. It should be up to Jiminez and Vetere to RECOMMEND players to Keegan, who then buys as he wants, and he can also put in his own RECOMMENDATIONS to the board.

Sadly, it appears not to have worked like this and that's why we are where we are.

What's the more likely scenario truthfully though.

a) Keegan isn't happy with transfer policy, has a go at Wise or whoever, so they sack him.

b) Keegan isn't happy with transfer policy, has a go at Wise or whoever, they tell him that that's the way things are going to be run whether he likes it or not, and Keegan disagrees and walks.

Depends how heated it got - if it got as far as "I'm not working with that odious little s***" then Lambias might have said fine then you're sacked.

In which case, I would have thought Keegan would have been stronger than to just accept that. Would have thought he'd have been experienced enough to let a spur of the moment, highly-heated situation to calm down before just assuming that was the end. Imagine if Sir John Hall on one of the occasions Keegan walked out last time in a spur of the moment thing appointed a new boss in the meantime? I'm pretty sure both Hall & Keegan waited until things calmed a bit before getting on with it. Looking at what happened the last two days, and the length of time it took between Keegan first being rumoured to have left, and him actually resigning, you'd think the reason it took so long was that the board wanted to speak to Keegan about what happened since things had cooled. They'd have spoke the last couple of days, Keegan's probably decided it's not for him, so walked.

It's got us 4 very good players so far this summer, with 2 still yet to be proven.

The only downside of the structure is that it quite obviously hasn't worked properly. It should be up to Jiminez and Vetere to RECOMMEND players to Keegan, who then buys as he wants, and he can also put in his own RECOMMENDATIONS to the board.

Sadly, it appears not to have worked like this and that's why we are where we are.

It is a stupid structure because managers don't want to be told how to run things, and this is not just Keegan I'm talking about. All it does is make people pull in different directions within the club and cause unrest. If they did need someone to tell them how to run things, then they more than likely wouldn't have made their name in management to begin with, would they. FFS man.

It is a stupid structure because managers don't want to be told how to run things, and this is not just Keegan I'm talking about. All it does is make people pull in different directions within the club and cause unrest. If they did need someone to tell them how to run things, then they more than likely wouldn't have made their name in management to begin with, would they. FFS man.

The actual structure isn't stupid.

The way that it's been implemented in this case is.

If he resigns, doesn't he not get compensation?

are you that naiive to think he's waited 2 more days just to walk away??

I was unsure, so I asked. Asshole.

As has been mentioned several times, no need for personal insults which will still get you a ban regardless of the present circumstances if they continue.

Glorified scouts should not be higher up the ladder than the manager. Keegan of all people is not incapable of spotting a player as we've seen in the past. If KK was left in charge of transfers instead of trying to make things complicated, whilst also LYING to us in the process by saying KK was in charge, then I really do believe that we could have improved massively over the next few seasons.

I'm afraid ON is right and if you check out my posts from this time last night you'll find i was turning from one side to the other in this debate as i realised what had gone on.

The biggest element of this whole debacle that points to who wanted this situation, is the answer to "who were the skysports/bbc/media sources on tuesday morning"? Who leaked this? Who stood to gain?

Posing these questions to myself, i came to the same conclusions as Baggio, ON and others. Keegan just didnt want to do this job, nothing more and nothing less.

Guest optimistic nit

i personally think keegan quit, the board said listen, keegan listened and they didn't off him good enough promises to convince him that he would have full control, and that bit there is what annoys me.

i could forgive the innitial blunder, but if keegan gave them a chance and they blew it a second time its not on.

then again these last 2 days may have just been manufactured by keegan to make me jump to this conclusion.

Guest Toon Argy

"...always walking" - once again the man who is adored by thousands throws in the towel when he doesn't get his own way.

The writing was on the wall from the off, but put the messiah-complex to one side and look at the hard facts.

6 wins from 21 games? not good enough mate, you're a lower league manager (see NUFC 92-, Fulham, Man City) and you couldn't cut it at the top.

Great bloke, I'm sure, great personality but he comes from an era of pub football. There's little of him that can exist in the modern era, so it's a shame that he's come back and tarnished his once glorious reputation.

Obviously the mongs won't see it that way and will keep wearing those rose tinted specs forever, but Keegan was never going to achieve anything - even the best intentions of both mice and men can go terribly wrong (and probably will).

Enjoy the compensation - we know that's what you've been haggling over - and I wish you every succes with your Soccer Circus...really disappointed you tried to drag our club into it.

For those who still can't see that Ashley has done the right thing (in the long term) and are under the impression that some sort of militant action needs to be taken (just read .com) then I really, really pity the fact that you can't support the club and the badge.

The king is dead, long live the king!

EDIT by catmag:

Doesn't need a new thread. Merged.

Are you saying this or did you get it off somewhere else?

I'm afraid ON is right and if you check out my posts from this time last night you'll find i was turning from one side to the other in this debate as i realised what had gone on.

The biggest element of this whole debacle that points to who wanted this situation, is the answer to "who were the skysports/bbc/media sources on tuesday morning"? Who leaked this? Who stood to gain?

Posing these questions to myself, i came to the same conclusions as Baggio, ON and others. Keegan just didnt want to do this job, nothing more and nothing less.

I agree that Keegan didn't want the job, not with the constraints put in place.  For the first time in this debacle I'm going off Dennis Wise big time as I'm starting to think he's at the centre of all this.

I don't care who the manager is, he should have a Vito when it comes to players coming and going.