Keegans List: Henry, Ronaldinho & Lampard?!

KaKa

Newcastle are ready to fight Keegan all the way, however, with a source close to the board pouring scorn on his managerial ability, especially his lack of knowledge of emerging players and the transfer market. It was claimed that Keegan was only interested in signing world-class players, presenting the board with a wish list of signings valued at more than £200 million, including Ronaldinho, Thierry Henry and Frank Lampard.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article4678988.ece

So, if this is true. What the hell should the owner and board have done then?

Everyone has so far assumed that Keegan wasn't making unrealistic demands as far as targets go, well it turns out this might not have been the case, which is what I suspected to be honest.

The owner clearly wanted a team of younger emerging players, and said this from the outset. What options did he have if Keegan then came in and started asking for these types?

Discuss.

This must have been going on for ages it look slike, as we all remember the Henry quotes! I am shocked they didn't part ways much earlier as they clearly should have. It's no wonder we had been linked with Marcelino so far back then, as the club was probably already making contingency plans.

Absolute madness from both sides.

Newcastle are ready to fight Keegan all the way, however, with a source close to the board pouring scorn on his managerial ability, especially his lack of knowledge of emerging players and the transfer market. It was claimed that Keegan was only interested in signing world-class players, presenting the board with a wish list of signings valued at more than £200 million, including Ronaldinho, Thierry Henry and Frank Lampard.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article4678988.ece

Everyone has so far assumed that Keegan wasn't making unrealistic demands as far as targets go, well it turns out this might not have been the case, which is what I suspected to be honest.

The owner clearly wanted a team of younger emerging players, and said this from the outset. What options did he have if Keegan then came in and started asking for these types?

Discuss.

This must have been going on for ages it look slike, as we all remember the Henry quotes! I am shocked they didn't part ways much earlier as they clearly should have. It's no wonder we had been linked with Marcelino so far back then, as the club was probably already making contingency plans.

More newspaper shite.

Guest Geordiecunny

Considering he used to joke about our ability to attract such players, I expect the "Well-Written" version of the Sun are just trying to add respectability to their attempts to give us a hard time.

Guest Anth.Nufc

I think when keegan came out with the comments about Henry he may have hoped Ashley would tell him to go and get him or whoever else.

Discuss.

Why would you believe the Times? KK said he wanted a left back as a priority, which celebrity left back you gonna tell me he wanted? Maldini? Carlos?

i wonder what this "source close to the board" thinks about keegan's onfield managerial ability. pity he didn't give us an appraisal of this.

And has he ever seen David Ginola, Andy Cole or Robert Lee play?

Discuss.

Boy, how incompetent would you have to be to employ a manager like that.

Guest Darth Toon

Thi is just the start of the anti-KK PR we're going to be bombarded with over the next week or so.

Sad thing is, it will probably work on many of us.  :dave:

i wonder what this "source close to the board" thinks about keegan's onfield managerial ability. pity he didn't give us an appraisal of this.

I don't think there was a problem with Keegan's on field coaching and motivating. The conflict arose because KK wanted more say on transfer matters, and it's a fair point that he had little knowledge of emerging talent or the world transfer market. Deep down everyone knows that.

Thi is just the start of the anti-KK PR we're going to be bombarded with over the next week or so.

Sad thing is, it will probably work on many of us.  :dave:

Think you're right unfortunately. You're going to get the articles, "club sources", etc. saying how he fell out with the regime and was undermined by them, and you're going to get stuff like this where he was after unattainable targets, where the truth is probably in fact somewhere in the middle of the two.

I don't think there was a problem with Keegan's on field coaching and motivating. The conflict arose because KK wanted more say on transfer matters, and it's a fair point that he had little knowledge of emerging talent or the world transfer market. Deep down everyone knows that.

Isn't that what scouts are for? Seems like, as usual on here, there's black and white and nothing in the middle.

a) Keegan has players signed for him and likes it

or b) Keegan has to have an in-depth knowledge of every player in the world and spend his spare days jetting off to watch a Bolivian second division game.

Can't I have c) he's a normal manager who has scouts like every other manager in the world (apart from these really successful continental ones who keep getting their arses handed to them by English clubs with English systems)?

This may be speculation rather than inside knowledge. Keegan's previous success was based on big money signings rather than bringing through young players. Someone who's not watched a game in three years isn't going to know much about the emerging talent abroad.

Isn't that what scouts are for? Seems like, as usual on here, there's black and white and nothing in the middle.

a) Keegan has players signed for him and likes it

or b) Keegan has to have an in-depth knowledge of every player in the world and spend his spare days jetting off to watch a Bolivian second division game.

Can't I have c) he's a normal manager who has scouts like every other manager in the world (apart from these really successful continental ones who keep getting their arses handed to them by English clubs with English systems)?

exactly. there's nowt wrong with keegan's managerial ability for this source who pours scorn on it and his transfer record is fine (and its not like he can't have scouts).

he had little knowledge of emerging talent or the world transfer market. Deep down everyone knows that.

You could probably say that about most of the managers in the league.  That's what the back up teams are for, to identify targets