Poyet rules himself out of running for NUFC job

BONTEMPI

If we take on Poyet after Zico has shown an interest then its been a setup from start to finish, push KK out get Poyet in..

This was Dennis Wise agenda from the moment he got the job, ashley is a fool to have allowed it.

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

Poyet is a big mate of Toon director of blow football Dennis Wise, who in turn is a big mate of big Ashley. Given the flak Wise and Ashley have copped over Kevin Keegan's treatment, it is tempting to believe that, as a final act of p*ss-taking, they'll appoint Poyet on a massive salary and long-term contract safe in the knowledge that the new owners, whoever they might be, will be responsible for paying him off.

I don't think any current or former managers from Britain are either realistic or good enough.

That means either finding a manager from abroad, or alternatively finding a non-manager with potential and making him a manager.

Looking at current managers, the likes of Terim and Zico may be touting themselves, but lets face it, the board want to operate a structure that get's quality at a good value, and those names will inevitably lead to trouble further down the line, and I don't think their management track records make them worth that risk.

If you consider the Spanish lot, for Marcelino and Lotina, read Allardyce, Redknapp.

Gerard Houllier would be the Dalglish to Keegan.

Deschamps and Billic have done reasonably well, but there is no reason to think that a carefully selected non-manager could not do better. For instance Keegan's record as a debutant manager exceeds theirs. Who knows what might have happenned if Poyet had managed Uruguay and Zola managed Parma?

The truth is that there are no available current managers who I think could either work with the system, or who have the track record that could guarantee the football the fans will expect to see post-Keegan.

Believe me, I am unhappy with the board over the departure of Keegan, and believe they should have been more flexible with their system. I am however concerned with the cult of personality that has developed, and I reckon that if fans allow these attitudes to proceed in to the long term, they will be bringing their own club to their knees.

As far as non-managers go, both Poyet and Zola were great players, popular men, and have proved themselves as being good coaches. Put aside clubs they've played for, goals they've scored, people they happen to be friends with, and they are two people who have the potential to be good managers.

Other managers named in this post have an equal chance of failure, but a lesser chance of success. Poyet or Zola are a gamble, but at least they are a gamble that has a chance of paying if the fans can put their feelings aside and not blame the manager for the failings of others.

Just think of those other previous gambles: Michael Laudrup, Frank Rijkaard, Marco van Basten, Slaven Bilic, Didier Deschamps, Mark Hughes, Jurgen Klinnsman and Kevin Keegan.

Poyet is a big mate of Toon director of blow football Dennis Wise, who in turn is a big mate of big Ashley. Given the flak Wise and Ashley have copped over Kevin Keegan's treatment, it is tempting to believe that, as a final act of p*ss-taking, they'll appoint Poyet on a massive salary and long-term contract safe in the knowledge that the new owners, whoever they might be, will be responsible for paying him off.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/racing-betting/mcgovern/2008/09/09/gus-poyet-is-a-great-bet-to-be-the-new-newcastle-manager-115875-20729874/

I don't think any current or former managers from Britain are either realistic or good enough.

That means either finding a manager from abroad, or alternatively finding a non-manager with potential and making him a manager.

Looking at current managers, the likes of Terim and Zico may be touting themselves, but lets face it, the board want to operate a structure that get's quality at a good value, and those names will inevitably lead to trouble further down the line, and I don't think their management track records make them worth that risk.

If you consider the Spanish lot, for Marcelino and Lotina, read Allardyce, Redknapp.

Gerard Houllier would be the Dalglish to Keegan.

Deschamps and Billic have done reasonably well, but there is no reason to think that a carefully selected non-manager could not do better. For instance Keegan's record as a debutant manager exceeds theirs. Who knows what might have happenned if Poyet had managed Uruguay and Zola managed Parma?

The truth is that there are no available current managers who I think could either work with the system, or who have the track record that could guarantee the football the fans will expect to see post-Keegan.

Believe me, I am unhappy with the board over the departure of Keegan, and believe they should have been more flexible with their system. I am however concerned with the cult of personality that has developed, and I reckon that if fans allow these attitudes to proceed in to the long term, they will be bringing their own club to their knees.

As far as non-managers go, both Poyet and Zola were great players, popular men, and have proved themselves as being good coaches. Put aside clubs they've played for, goals they've scored, people they happen to be friends with, and they are two people who have the potential to be good managers.

Other managers named in this post have an equal chance of failure, but a lesser chance of success. Poyet or Zola are a gamble, but at least they are a gamble that has a chance of paying if the fans can put their feelings aside and not blame the manager for the failings of others.

Just think of those other previous gambles: Michael Laudrup, Frank Rijkaard, Marco van Basten, Slaven Bilic, Didier Deschamps, Mark Hughes, Jurgen Klinnsman and Kevin Keegan.

Good post James.

However, i personally long for a 'manager' who will excite and i'll say it, appease the fans, it's twice as imporotant now as it was in January to appease us and with that they need to bring in a manager who has already shown at least a modicum of talent and good footballing philosiphy.

I dont doubt Poyets ability - as an assitant, but as a manager i've got nothing to see that could appease me, im not even sure what type of personalityhe has.

No thanks.

I just want a manager who's going to win something. There's nothing quite like winning.

James pretty much hit the nail on the head there. We all learnt with Roeder that the best coaches don't always go on to become the best managers, however no matter who we appoint here we're looking at a gamble.

It's very important to remember we're a very unique, trophy-less, one-city club. Essentially a club which can make or break a young managers career. The pressure will be on a Zola or a Poyet from day one, but its important the fans give them a senisible error margain, they aren't going to get everything right in an instant. It's also important to remember just because they've joined the Ashley regime they're as much an innocent party as the fans and the players. Getting on their back simply because they're not Keegan would be nothing short of moronic.

I have to admit Poyet would not be my first choice, but if he's appointed, he's appointed, What can we do about it? The sensible thing would be to get behind the bloke, hope he fits into our "system" and starts to get some early results. It would do him the world of good.

However, i personally long for a 'manager' who will excite and i'll say it, appease the fans, it's twice as imporotant now as it was in January to appease us and with that they need to bring in a manager who has already shown at least a modicum of talent and good footballing philosiphy.

I dont doubt Poyets ability - as an assitant, but as a manager i've got nothing to see that could appease me, im not even sure what type of personalityhe has.

No thanks.

I just want a manager who's going to win something. There's nothing quite like winning.

I just want a manager who is likely to stay, without walking out or being sacked, longer than 2 or 3 years.

James pretty much hit the nail on the head there. We all learnt with Roeder that the best coaches don't always go on to become the best managers, however no matter who we appoint here we're looking at a gamble.

It's very important to remember we're a very unique, trophy-less, one-city club. Essentially a club which can make or break a young managers career. The pressure will be on a Zola or a Poyet from day one, but its important the fans give them a senisible error margain, they aren't going to get everything right in an instant. It's also important to remember just because they've joined the Ashley regime they're as much an innocent party as the fans and the players. Getting on their back simply because they're not Keegan would be nothing short of moronic.

I have to admit Poyet would not be my first choice, but if he's appointed, he's appointed, What can we do about it? The sensible thing would be to get behind the bloke, hope he fits into our "system" and starts to get some early results. It would do him the world of good.

this

No thanks.

I just want a manager who is likely to stay, without walking out or being sacked, longer than 2 or 3 years.

I think the majority just want that a stable base where we can watch some decent football again.

Ok if we win something along the way great but I just want a good team to get fully behind! And I thought we had it up until a few weeks ago.

How wrong you can be eh?

No thanks.

like wor kev did, 92-97

Guest Sniffer

Poyet might be the final nail in the coffin for a lot of people in actively supporting Newcastle. Beats me why anybody would think he's popular north of Watford and there is absolutely no reason I can see that he'd be any more acceptable than wise. Except to those who don't mind bending over a getting fucked yet again. And there appears to be a number of them on this forum.

Poyet might be the final nail in the coffin for a lot of people in actively supporting Newcastle. Beats me why anybody would think he's popular north of Watford and there is absolutely no reason I can see that he'd be any more acceptable than wise. Except to those who don't mind bending over a getting f***ed yet again. And there appears to be a number of them on this forum.

well said, we cant let the sheep decide, we will run round in circles forever....oh look...the grass is greener over there...baahh