Joint Statement from "The Mag" and "True Faith".

Guest Heneage

Guest Heneage

Apologies mods if this has been posted already but;

The Mag – true faith Newcastle United Fanzines joint statement

Like many Newcastle United supporters we have been sickened by the events of the last week and the departure of Kevin Keegan from his position as manager of our club. We believe Kevin had little alternative but to resign given the gross incompetence and mismanagement of Dennis Wise, Executive Director of Football and Derek Llambias, Managing Director who like Kevin were appointed by Mike Ashley. While Kevin Keegan remained at Newcastle United the fans trusted that the club was moving forward at last, with Keegan’s departure all trust has gone.

Both The Mag and true faith believe there has been a fundamental break in trust between board and the support.

Both true faith and The Mag have been inundated by requests from supporters keen to take action against those within the boardroom of Newcastle United.

Having read many hundreds if not thousands of e-mails sent into both fanzines we are recommending the following action in protest at its appalling treatment of Kevin Keegan and the entirely unworkable structure it has established at the club, namely around the club’s transfer policy.

That initial action includes;

1. An immediate and indefinite boycott of all Newcastle United merchandise to include replica shirts, other club clothing and any items sold at official NUFC outlets. It will also include the non-purchase of all Newcastle United programmes and magazines as well as food, drinks and beverages of any description. This boycott will include raffle tickets, lotteries and any other products associated with Newcastle United Football Club. This to include also a boycott of all club bars including Shearer’s Bar as well as club cafes, official club tours, visits to the NUFC museum and any other activity which generates an income for Newcastle United.

2. This boycott to be extended to any retail outlet or product owned either in full or in part by Mike Ashley e.g. Sports Soccer, Lillywhites etc.

We do not advocate a boycott (this is backed up overwhelmingly in the emails we have received) of the game against Hull City at SJP on Saturday 13/Sep/08. Newcastle United’s players have done nothing wrong and certain individuals have behaved impeccably given the manner in which their manager and team-mates have been treated this last week. They remain deserving of our support.

3. We advocate supporters vocally expressing their disgust against the current regime whether they are at the match or not, which will act as a clear demonstration of the antipathy of supporters towards Ashley, Llambias and Wise. There should be no abuse directed at any Newcastle United player.

4. We insist that Mike Ashley does not attend away games amongst the travelling support. He is not a Newcastle United supporter and as far as true faith and The Mag are concerned he is not welcome amongst our ranks. If any effort is made by Ashley to attend future away games we would recommend the away support to vocally remind him he is not wanted amongst us. We do not advocate violent disorder of any description.

Michael Martin,

Editor, true faith

Mark Jensen,

Editor, The Mag

I think its brilliant.

They don't speak for supporters and much of what they have assumed is based on taking Keegan's side because of our emotional attachment to him... in the way a lot of us have done.

Can't blame them I suppose, emotions are high, but I don't agree and won't be taking part.

They don't speak for supporters and much of what they have assumed is based on taking Keegan's side because of our emotional attachment to him... in the way a lot of us have done.

That and the lies they've told to con thousands of people out of thousands of pounds.

That and the lies they've told to con thousands of people out of thousands of pounds.

If you're talking about season tickets, then I thought they were for supporting Newcastle Utd, not Kevin Keegan. I don't remember seeing any promises about the manager in the adverts or letters.

If anyone signed up for three years thinking Keegan would definitely be manager throughout that time, they obviously haven't been watching football for very long.

I don't think Ashley is blameless at all, but he's not the devil either.

This "action" is a bit wishy-washy anyway tbh. The need is to make ourselves heard and say categorically to Ashley and his lackies: you are not wanted here.

Not buying a pie in the ground? It's hardly Tiananmen Square.

We believe Kevin had little alternative but to resign given the gross incompetence and mismanagement of Dennis Wise, Executive Director of Football and Derek Llambias, Managing Director who like Kevin were appointed by Mike Ashley.

What do they mean by gross incompetence and mismanagement? Arguing with Keegan?

this is getting more and more childish by the day. the only winners in this situation are the media.

C'mon! Theres nothing wrong with protesting a bit with a boycott when a board forced a friggin legend out of the club. They said they'll support they players because they did nothing wrong.

I dont live in england but i support this 100% and would participate if i was able to.

Am I the only one who finds this all far too overly dramatic? You would think people were protesting for workers rights or something. All it is, is one man who quit because he wasn't getting his way. If you want to boycott stuff just do it, but do we really need to hear it as some kind of rallying cry?

Am I the only one who finds this all far too overly dramatic? You would think people were protesting for workers rights or something. All it is, is one man who quit because he wasn't getting his way. If you want to boycott stuff just do it, but do we really need to hear it as some kind of rallying cry?

Well said.

If you're talking about season tickets, then I thought they were for supporting Newcastle Utd, not Kevin Keegan. I don't remember seeing any promises about the manager in the adverts or letters.

If anyone signed up for three years thinking Keegan would definitely be manager throughout that time, they obviously haven't been watching football for very long.

No, sorry, season tickets were sold under false pretences. People have paid to watch a team put together by Kevin Keegan, not one put together by the former manager of Swindon Town.

If they were so confident of the same amount of people buying tickets regardless, why didn't they just tell the truth: "Dennis Wise will be choosing the players and we won't be spending any money. Now, that'll be £1500 please"?

Invade the pitch at full time and protest there.

Bring tents and supplies and refuse to leave for days on end. Rob the club shops blind for food and beer supplies to keep ye going.

Try not to ruin the pitch though.

Guest barnabox

It's easy to snipe at things from the sideline, but the world has changed before now by people taking a stand for things they believe in.

No, sorry, season tickets were sold under false pretences. People have paid to watch a team put together by Kevin Keegan, not one put together by the former manager of Swindon Town.

If they were so confident of the same amount of people buying tickets regardless, why didn't they just tell the truth: "Dennis Wise will be choosing the players and we won't be spending any money. Now, that'll be £1500 please"?

They didn't say Keegan was building the team though as far as I recall. The media tried to tell us it was Wise buying behind Keegan's back but everyone laughed it off as cockney bullshit.