Croatia 1 - 4 England

midds

Wenger said it was a "one-off" but tbh I think if he was given the chance, he could perform well on a big stage.

Wenger is probably just trying to control the outrageous expectations that will follow him around after that performance.  The media build you up only so they can knock you down. 

Wenger said it was a "one-off" but tbh I think if he was given the chance, he could perform well on a big stage.

Wenger is probably just trying to control the outrageous expectations that will follow him around after that performance.  The media build you up only so they can knock you down. 

True True, it's farcical tbh

Walcott was good last night, but I still think it's pretty shocking he gets in the team on the wing ahead of Ashley Young.

Young has the pace, with a bit more guile about him.

Young on the left and Walcott on the right would be interesting.

Agree with both the 2 above comments.

Whilst I'm pleased for Walcott, the hatrick overshadowed a fairly average display from him, exaggerated by the fact he got the goals and has pace. Hey, I hope he goes onto perform at a constant level for many years to come, but I just can't see it, at least not on the international stage.

And how Walcott is picked and Young isn't even in the squad is bamboozling.

Are people taking the piss? I couldn't care less if he sat on the half way line for 80 minutes if he still got three goals.

It's just some casual thoughts, don't get me wrong I'm effing delighted with the result and the fact he got 3 goals. Just saying, although I sure as hell hope he goes on from this and improves his all round game (which will come with experience), he may be expected to do too much too soon. Expectations need to be realistic.

Walcott's pace and acceleration is amazing, but he does need to work a bit on his first touch and general ball control. I wonder whether he didn't really need to work on that side of his game in the past, because his athleticism on its own would take him past everyone.

But he's worth persisting with, because we don't have much pace in the side, and he's the sort of player that the opposition don't want to see lining up against them.