Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

I went to the game today and for the first half saw a lot of Jonas as I was sat on the edge of the flank he was on. While his quality is doubtless - setting up both goals - I thought he looked thoroughly disinterested, not celebrating the goals, not tackling back and defending like he did last year, not using his burst of pace. He  just seems a bit lifeless, but knows he's too good for this league so occasionally does something outstanding.

I went to the game today and for the first half saw a lot of Jonas as I was sat on the edge of the flank he was on. While his quality is doubtless - setting up both goals - I thought he looked thoroughly disinterested, not celebrating the goals, not tackling back and defending like he did last year, not using his burst of pace. He  just seems a bit lifeless, but knows he's too good for this league so occasionally does something outstanding.

Against Sheff Wed all of the team celebrated with Shola whereas he just went to Coloccini and they had their own little chat.

Guest Stephen927

Could have been told by Hughton to not track back to have more of a threat up the other end when we break.

Guest Radical Boy

http://goal.com/en/news/1706/barcelona/2009/08/21/1453526/jonas-gutierrez-could-sign-for-barcelona-in-the-following

Jonas Gutierrez Could Sign For Barcelona In The Following Hours

The Argentine international could be on his way to the European champions...

Newcastle United midfielder Jonas Gutierrez could reinforce Barcelona in the next few hours, if negotiations between both clubs prosper.

Gutierrez, 26, has been looking for a move away from Newcastle United, in order to improve his chances of participating in the 2010 World Cup with Argentina. The Argentine admitted that he would be overjoyed to sign for Barca.

"The truth is they are a great team. They already demonstrated this last season by winning everything. For one, to be part of a great team is always a dream, to play with great players. But, right now it is something I try not to think about. I'm only thinking of Newcastle. But obviously, to play there is a dream for any player," said Gutierrez.

"They are a club who are doing things very well, they have great players and any player would like to play for this team," he insisted.

Gutierrez, who is a starter with the Argentine national team, believes he is a versatile player who can adapt to any kind of circumstances, and whether he remains at Newcastle or moves to the Catalans isn't of great concern to him.

"One tries to accommodate himself to what he needs, or to the coach, or to the team, or at the team where one plays. If I am asked to play as a side-back, one tries to do the best possible, always trying to progress. They are two positions that aren't too different to one another," affirmed the player.

In recent weeks Diego Maradona stated that playing at Newcastle United won't affect Gutierrez's position in the national team, if of course, he continues to play at a high level.

Gregory Sica, Goal.com

http://goal.com/en/news/1706/barcelona/2009/08/21/1453526/jonas-gutierrez-could-sign-for-barcelona-in-the-following

Newcastle United midfielder Jonas Gutierrez could reinforce Barcelona in the next few hours, if negotiations between both clubs prosper.

Gutierrez, 26, has been looking for a move away from Newcastle United, in order to improve his chances of participating in the 2010 World Cup with Argentina. The Argentine admitted that he would be overjoyed to sign for Barca.

"The truth is they are a great team. They already demonstrated this last season by winning everything. For one, to be part of a great team is always a dream, to play with great players. But, right now it is something I try not to think about. I'm only thinking of Newcastle. But obviously, to play there is a dream for any player," said Gutierrez.

"They are a club who are doing things very well, they have great players and any player would like to play for this team," he insisted.

Gutierrez, who is a starter with the Argentine national team, believes he is a versatile player who can adapt to any kind of circumstances, and whether he remains at Newcastle or moves to the Catalans isn't of great concern to him.

"One tries to accommodate himself to what he needs, or to the coach, or to the team, or at the team where one plays. If I am asked to play as a side-back, one tries to do the best possible, always trying to progress. They are two positions that aren't too different to one another," affirmed the player.

In recent weeks Diego Maradona stated that playing at Newcastle United won't affect Gutierrez's position in the national team, if of course, he continues to play at a high level.

Gregory Sica, Goal.com

If he signs for barca I'll eat my pen.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/08/24/nolan-lets-football-do-the-talking-amid-hiatus-72703-24517337/2/

Reflecting on his maiden strike, Nolan said: “There was a bit of a play down the left, and Jonas (Gutierrez) cut inside.

He never normally crosses it, but I shouted to him, and I just put it back across the keeper.

“It worked, and I’m delighted to get my first goal for the club – hopefully the first of many.

“I always know I’m going to get myself in situations to score, so I’ve just got to keep believing.

“With the quality we’ve got in the team, we’re always going to make chances.

I must admit I laughed when I read that quote from Nolan. Even Jonas' own team mates don't expect him to cross the ball.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/08/24/nolan-lets-football-do-the-talking-amid-hiatus-72703-24517337/2/

Reflecting on his maiden strike, Nolan said: “There was a bit of a play down the left, and Jonas (Gutierrez) cut inside.

He never normally crosses it, but I shouted to him, and I just put it back across the keeper.

“It worked, and I’m delighted to get my first goal for the club – hopefully the first of many.

“I always know I’m going to get myself in situations to score, so I’ve just got to keep believing.

“With the quality we’ve got in the team, we’re always going to make chances.

I must admit I laughed when I read that quote from Nolan. Even Jonas' own team mates don't expect him to cross the ball.

Ah I see, it's a communication problem, his team mates have never shouted for him to cross the ball before. Keep shouting lads and we'll see a new productive Jonas this season.  :snod:

Gregory Sica, Goal.com

If he signs for barca I'll eat my pen.

He was interviewed today in a Barcelona radio station, so there's something to it. We are looking for cheap cover around the pitch, but I assume you won't sell cheap anyway.

Sell him for 8-9 and get Lovenkrands.

Then next season we buy Messi and Ronaldo for that money, and lovenkrans can be a sub. Super idea, yes i know, i am a genius.

And just to remind you, no im not kidding i am a very important person and sophisticated person, i has intelligence.

Why would Barca want Jonas when they already have Hleb??

Hleb is a million miles better.

If Jonas was at Arsenal and Hleb had come to Newcastle I doubt you would make that statement. Ironically, Hleb was allergic to crossing and shooting also, but is far weaker and has far less workrate. If Jonas had the luxury of being surrounded by the types of players Hleb was at Arsenal it wouldn't be a contest imo. There is a reason Hleb flopped so monumentally at Barcelona and is now back at Stuttgart.

Why would Barca want Jonas when they already have Hleb??

Hleb is a million miles better.

If Jonas was at Arsenal and Hleb had come to Newcastle I doubt you would make that statement. Ironically, Hleb was allergic to crossing and shooting also, but is far weaker and has far less workrate. If Jonas had the luxury of being surrounded by the types of players Hleb was at Arsenal it wouldn't be a contest imo. There is a reason Hleb flopped so monumentally at Barcelona and is now back at Stuttgart.

Give over, Hleb had a cracking season before he left.