Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

Well not me....though I like them as a team I could never support the Argies....

Gutierrez: 'I've turned Newcastle into an Argentinian enclave'

JONAS Gutierrez feels he has already achieved the impossible this World Cup – by turning thousands of Newcastle supporters into Argentina fans.

As the only Newcastle United player competing in South Africa, Gutierrez has become the focus of attention for thousands of North-Easterners tuning in to coverage of the finals.

The Magpies winger, who has played at right-back in each of Argentina's opening two matches, has been overwhelmed by the volume of support he has received from Tyneside-based fans.

And while there might be a history of footballing enmity between England and Argentina, the versatile 26-year-old has successfully bridged the divide.

“I never thought I would be able to say this, but I think that Geordies are adopting Newcastle as their second team,” said Gutierrez, whose two bookings mean he will miss Argentina's final group game against Greece. “Behind England, I reckon they are supporting Argentina.

“I have had loads of messages of support from Newcastle fans. They tell me they want me to bring a medal back, but it is too early to think of that. Even so, we have done a good job so far.”

Argentina became the first nation to progress from the World Cup group stage when they produced arguably the best performance of the tournament so far to beat South Korea 4-1.

The South Americans have confounded the critics who predicted they would struggle following an error-strewn qualifying campaign that included a 6-1 defeat to Bolivia.

Gutierrez has been delighted with Argentina's opening two victories, and attributes much of their success to the input of manager Diego Maradona.

Maradona was ridiculed for picking more than 50 players during the South American qualifying campaign, but his decision making in the opening week of the tournament has been faultless.

“I never dreamed I would live this moment in Maradona's national side,” said Gutierrez. “It is a fantastic experience to have. For me and the rest of the players, Maradona is the best.

“He is a good leader. He is showing that at this World Cup. He knows how to talk to us as players. And when he says something to do, you do it for him.

“It is good that things have worked out well so far. It was very important that we kept winning.”

Well not me....though I like them as a team I could never support the Argies....

Gutierrez: 'I've turned Newcastle into an Argentinian enclave'

JONAS Gutierrez feels he has already achieved the impossible this World Cup – by turning thousands of Newcastle supporters into Argentina fans.

As the only Newcastle United player competing in South Africa, Gutierrez has become the focus of attention for thousands of North-Easterners tuning in to coverage of the finals.

The Magpies winger, who has played at right-back in each of Argentina's opening two matches, has been overwhelmed by the volume of support he has received from Tyneside-based fans.

And while there might be a history of footballing enmity between England and Argentina, the versatile 26-year-old has successfully bridged the divide.

“I never thought I would be able to say this, but I think that Geordies are adopting Newcastle as their second team,” said Gutierrez, whose two bookings mean he will miss Argentina's final group game against Greece. “Behind England, I reckon they are supporting Argentina.

“I have had loads of messages of support from Newcastle fans. They tell me they want me to bring a medal back, but it is too early to think of that. Even so, we have done a good job so far.”

Argentina became the first nation to progress from the World Cup group stage when they produced arguably the best performance of the tournament so far to beat South Korea 4-1.

The South Americans have confounded the critics who predicted they would struggle following an error-strewn qualifying campaign that included a 6-1 defeat to Bolivia.

Gutierrez has been delighted with Argentina's opening two victories, and attributes much of their success to the input of manager Diego Maradona.

Maradona was ridiculed for picking more than 50 players during the South American qualifying campaign, but his decision making in the opening week of the tournament has been faultless.

“I never dreamed I would live this moment in Maradona's national side,” said Gutierrez. “It is a fantastic experience to have. For me and the rest of the players, Maradona is the best.

“He is a good leader. He is showing that at this World Cup. He knows how to talk to us as players. And when he says something to do, you do it for him.

“It is good that things have worked out well so far. It was very important that we kept winning.”

I'm supporting against them, because if Maradona wins a world cup as a manager he is going to become an even bigger t*** than what he already is.

I'd rather have CRonaldo score 50 goals and win, than Maradona win it.

Guest Phil K

"I think that geordies are adopting newcastle as their second team"

;D

Why you laughing ?

They've always been my first second and third team

I envy the passion that the Argentinians show, especially when you compare it with the way our players don't look arsed.

Thought the same watching Australia today. Some high intensity coming from a lot of their players.

Guest geordienorway

I've personally been a touch dissapointed with him this season, his stats compared with Routledge's makes for fairly damning reading, especially considering where Wayne was till Jan.

Routledge is certainly more effective, but I don't think he would have been nearly as effective without Jonas in the side. Jonas ties up a big part of the opposition when he goes forward, and that gives Routledge the space he needs. Both are very important to the team, but it is hard to compare them using stats (assists, goals). I agree Jonas needs to be more effective if he is going to be an asset in the prem though. Especially when our other midfielders (bar Routledge) don't have goals in them.

As I've been at work for Argentina games, didn't realise he was at right back!

Any good?

No. Though not deserving of the level of shite the commentators have been throwing at him. Actual Argie defenders have put in worse shifts.

That rules that out then.

I don't really rate him as a player but he puts a load of effort in for whoever he plays for so I'm delighted to see him play in the World Cup for Argentina, and want him to win the World Cup if England can't.

Any good?

No. Though not deserving of the level of s**** the commentators have been throwing at him. Actual Argie defenders have put in worse shifts.

and shearers jipped him loads too. prick.

That rules that out then.

I don't really rate him as a player but he puts a load of effort in for whoever he plays for so I'm delighted to see him play in the World Cup for Argentina, and want him to win the World Cup if England can't.

He's not aware of himself and his position and too frightened to put in a tackle in case he fuks up. Very nervous defending from him, but he doesn't stop trying and has got better over the two games imo.

Any good?

No. Though not deserving of the level of s**** the commentators have been throwing at him. Actual Argie defenders have put in worse shifts.

and shearers jipped him loads too. prick.

Shearer during his 8 games in charged preferred to drop him and play the likes of Guthrie out wide whilst keeping Nolan and Butt in the team. We were relegated soon afterwards.

Great player, probably a crap manager and definitely a mediocre pundit.

Colo and Jonas have certainly softened my dislike of Argentina. I still would never want them to do well though.

I'm the same, although the hated isn't really football related or driven.