Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

All I'm saying mate, is that he's got the engine and the pace to be effective through the middle as a box to box player. On the wing teams are just gonna double up on him, just like they did today

I'd say that Jonas' main strength is running at players, beating them, and playing the ball in-field. It's frustrating because he hasn't been doing it as much when he's on the right, but i saw it in the first half today and it's great to watch. Often, the very least he'll achieve is winning a free-kick - and those deep positions, forty yards out, are good for whipping into the box and it's annoying we don't take advantage of them more. Essentially, my point is Jonas is at his best when he has space to run into - that's where he causes havoc the most.

Through the middle he wouldn't have that, and coupled with his somewhat awkward control, i'd have thought his weaknesses would be much more exploited in the centre. On top of that, he doesn't have the nouse of someone like Barton or Bowyer at arriving in the box late, shooting from the edge of the area, that would make hiim an effective centre-mid.

All things added up, i seriously don't think we'd be getting the best out of him there. I really wish we had a better right-winger, cos he'll flourish down the left. Even though Duff was pretty naff today, i'd keep it how it is. Duff's shitness is more than compensated for when Jonas is on form, like he was for the first 20/25 minutes today.

He's a Tanner Ba' Player - looks good, no end product...

Surrounded by better players in Argentine side who cover his faults - he's talented, but not enough to shine is a crap side..

Well summarised.

Surrounded by better players in Argentine side who cover his faults - he's talented, but not enough to shine is a crap side..

Well summarised.

that's ridiculous, have you ever played football boys..

Jonas is able to get the ball in our half, go through 3 players with ease and pick the striker with a clever pass.. he's not shy of taking responsibility with the ball at his feet and that's good enough for me. Jonas may not score or get an assist and he may be funny when he runs, but his contribution to our attacking play is invaluable..

Not a typical winger, of course, just a brilliant team player

Bollocks.

How about being stuck on a wing, attempting to beat 2 men single handedly all the time, only to do so, whip a cross in for no other fucker to have bothered their arse to get forward.

I personally rate him, he can get better, but he needs some bloody help ffs.  He cant do it on his own.

Also, its his first season in a different league.  I dont exactly think he's doing much wrong all things considered.

Guest toonlass

Jonas is not a typical winger, in that he covers every inch of grass and not just one flank. He was all over yesterday, skinning two or three Spanners and then crossing the ball in. Gutted that he didn't get his goal yesterday cos I think St James' would have gone mental.

All fur coat and no knickers. Yesterday was another Jonas show of huge effort and zero end product. Hes essentially a hairier version of Dyer, without the odd goal now and again.

I wouldn't agree about no end product with Jonas. He does win a few free kicks and gets in a few crosses.

A difficulty is that we're completely reliant on the strikers to get on the end of the crosses. None of our midfielders - apart from Butt occasionally - get on the end of those sorts of chances. That would help a lot.

Good job we didn't sign Ronaldo.  With the end product he showed in his first season he'd have been crucified on here.

Typical of us unfortunately.

Good job we didn't sign Ronaldo.  With the end product he showed in his first season he'd have been crucified on here.

If we had a midfielder who in his first season scored 4 league goals, it would be groundbreaking.

If we had a midfielder who in his first season scored 4 league goals, it would be groundbreaking.

Halfway through the season and Gulthrie has 2 IIRC.

The fact is Ronaldo would have got serious stick on here for not getting in decent crosses etc (see Jonas, Milner, Duff, Zog etc)

Jesus some of you guys, Jonas is the only player in the side who can make something out of nothing. He can beat numerous players, plays decent balls and constantly offers options to other players. If we had a couple of players in the side who could take advantage of that there would be absolutely no question about his ability.

All fur coat and no knickers. Yesterday was another Jonas show of huge effort and zero end product. Hes essentially a hairier version of Dyer, without the odd goal now and again.

Sorry but your just an idiot....did you even watch the game? not match of the day

Would have had two goals yesterday if not for some unlucky deflections, his effort is outstanding and he has a good few assists so far so he has an end product.  Its also early days still for him in English football the longer he stays the better he will get, I however think we are going to be lucky if we manage to hold onto him.

Sorry but your just an idiot....did you even watch the game? not match of the day

Pipe down pipsqueak. I've seen every game this year so feel i'm quite entitled to my opinion that Guttierez is a decent player but nowhere near as good as many people think.

I'll take this anyday of the week. Dyer was, at one point, one of the most exciting CMs in the league. When Speed covered the defensive part, Dyer was fucking electric running up and down with the ball and almost unstoppable.

End product is important, of course, but there's more than that in football. Likewise there's more than just scoring goals for strikers. Jonas is a player who changes the way the other team defends. He keeps possession better than any winger of ours has done in the past few seasons and uses it intelligently. If only our team had some more intelligent players with better movement...

He's always the outball and is being double marked and yet he still manages to do something positive more often than not.  He was an integral part of the build up to both of our goals yesterday. He's shooting is poor though, pretty much his only weakness for me

Jonas would be so much more appreciated if we had another fucker in the team who could compensate for his lack of delivery. He'd have looked absolutely class in Sir Bobby's side, what with Robert, Solano, Jenas, Speed in there playing balls and 'unlocking doors'. Who've we got in the side who can put the ball on someone's head? Geremi? Guthrie to an extent. It's a load of balls. Really wish we had a better right-winger, and we could just let Jonas do his thing instead of having to rely on him for final balls, simply cos Duff is so shite.

Jonas would be so much more appreciated if we had another fucker in the team who could compensate for his lack of delivery. He'd have looked absolutely class in Sir Bobby's side, what with Robert, Solano, Jenas, Speed in there playing balls and 'unlocking doors'. Who've we got in the side who can put the ball on someone's head? Geremi? Guthrie to an extent. It's a load of balls. Really wish we had a better right-winger, and we could just let Jonas do his thing instead of having to rely on him for final balls, simply cos Duff is so shite.

Probably not a popular suggestion but I wouldn't mind Pennant on the right. Its a gamble due to his lack of games at Liverpool but the one thing he did (does) have was (is?) a quality cross. Doubt he would cost the earth either!

He reminds me a lot of Alan Ball.

Granted I never saw much of Alan Ball though.

WTF?

Some of you lot are unreal.

He's our only threat from midfield and people still look for reasons to slate the guy.

Secondly, if he was surrounded by a tiny bit of quality, he might have half a chance of looking like the player he could be.