Mike Ashley confirms he wants to sell NUFC - see OP for full statement

Guest sicko2ndbest

They would be fun in the transfer market, both clubs  would just keep upping the bid if they wanted the same player

Er, seeing as that would simply cost the same people more money I'm not sure they would do that.

They would be fun in the transfer market, both clubs  would just keep upping the bid if they wanted the same player

Er...

I mean there would be alot of rivarly between the family if one owned us and the other Man City. If both clubs were to go in for the same player huge amounts would be bid.

I feel sorry for Mike Ashley. He has approached this venture as if it was one of his businesses but football isn't the same. He has got a hard time from the fans, most of it undeserved imo. Yes appointing Dennis Wise wasn't the smartest move, but I don't think many were complaining before Keegan was sacked about him being here. My main reason for feeling sorry for Ashley is that I don't know the full story behind what has happened with Keegan, most of it has come from inside sources or the media. I think Llambias, Wise and Jiminez should have been the ones to get stick more at the game rather than chants of 'You fat bastard'. Keegan isn't blameless in this situation and that was exactly what was going through my mind as Hull beat us.

Now its most likely our next owners will be foreign, who knows what will happen? We will probably end up with a relative of Thaksin or worse.

Will they have long term aims? Ashley had a structure in place due to the debt the club had, but will a new owner look into this rather than just going out and spending £20m+ on wages etc.

Will the fans ever be happy? I admit I was happy with Ashley, I still am. I liked that we had a long term plan and that the club would be sustainable. At the end of the day I want a football club, rather than a football club crushed under huge debt. When he appointed Keegan I was unsure but willing to give him a chance and he produced some good football and got the players playing with confidance. I think if the way he left was different there wouldn't have been a hugh uproar i.e. more communication rather than finding out 8 hours later after the news first broke.

Guest elbee909

I don't know the full story behind what has happened with Keegan, most of it has come from inside sources or the media.

Which is Ashley's fault, ultimately.

To give him the benefit of the doubt, we should believe what he says...

but from a skeptical perspective, it may be merely an act of salvaging the situation and putting on a sympathetic front?

~Shrugs... whatever the true intention is, only he himself will know.

I feel sorry for Mike Ashley. He has approached this venture as if it was one of his businesses but football isn't the same. He has got a hard time from the fans, most of it undeserved imo. Yes appointing Dennis Wise wasn't the smartest move, but I don't think many were complaining before Keegan was sacked about him being here. My main reason for feeling sorry for Ashley is that I don't know the full story behind what has happened with Keegan, most of it has come from inside sources or the media. I think Llambias, Wise and Jiminez should have been the ones to get stick more at the game rather than chants of 'You fat b******'. Keegan isn't blameless in this situation and that was exactly what was going through my mind as Hull beat us.

Now its most likely our next owners will be foreign, who knows what will happen? We will probably end up with a relative of Thaksin or worse.

Will they have long term aims? Ashley had a structure in place due to the debt the club had, but will a new owner look into this rather than just going out and spending £20m+ on wages etc.

Will the fans ever be happy? I admit I was happy with Ashley, I still am. I liked that we had a long term plan and that the club would be sustainable. At the end of the day I want a football club, rather than a football club crushed under huge debt. When he appointed Keegan I was unsure but willing to give him a chance and he produced some good football and got the players playing with confidance. I think if the way he left was different there wouldn't have been a hugh uproar i.e. more communication rather than finding out 8 hours later after the news first broke.

agree totally with this; Ashley has been made a scapegoat to be honest.

Sorry I dont buy all this Imo hes not selling to keep the fans happy hes selling to make a huge profit and it really wouldnt surprise me if this was the plan from the start, why hire Keegan? when its a fact that if he thinks things are wrong he will walk, its also a fact he wouldnt work in that sort of structure, and thats prob why the 'walkout' clause was in there. its obvious what would happen if Keegan was backed into a corner its also obvious what would happen if the fans thought that Keegan was wronged.

not enough players in when its been obvious were were short, no money spent on transfers, 3 years season tickets up front, merchandise, sky money etc, nice profit so far. As a matter of interest is there actually any proof that he actually paid £110 million off of the debt or is it just what hes said? even if he has if he gets 300mil for the club hes made over 50mil profit, not bad for a year.

and he even walks away seeming the victim of bad advise and because the fans want him to. Hes not a billionair because hes a nice guy

Guest johnson293

I feel sorry for Mike Ashley. He has approached this venture as if it was one of his businesses but football isn't the same. He has got a hard time from the fans, most of it undeserved imo. Yes appointing Dennis Wise wasn't the smartest move, but I don't think many were complaining before Keegan was sacked about him being here. My main reason for feeling sorry for Ashley is that I don't know the full story behind what has happened with Keegan, most of it has come from inside sources or the media. I think Llambias, Wise and Jiminez should have been the ones to get stick more at the game rather than chants of 'You fat b******'. Keegan isn't blameless in this situation and that was exactly what was going through my mind as Hull beat us.

agree totally with this; Ashley has been made a scapegoat to be honest.

Ashley is the one who has made all of the appointments, right and wrong ones - and the buck stops with him, unfortunately.

He is the only one who can do/could have done anything about the current situation (sacking certain people, doing everything in his power to get poeple back) before it got to this point - but instead, has chosen to bow to pressure and sell up.

Maybe he isn't quite the 'park his tanks on the lawns of competitors' hardnose businessman we were lead to believe.

Guest The Libertine

im at an all time low with newcastle fans at the minute. most of you wanted Ashley out, he goes, now he's an even bigger villain than before.

my dream scenario would be for Ashley to stay, Dennis Wise to get the job and then win us a few cups. t'would be priceless.

Let see how much he will sell Newcastle United for? :p

That amount will definitely be considered a fact irrespective of the person's (self-called fan of Newcastle United) intentions.

If he sell it for less, potential investors will have more capital to invest into us, vice versa.

im at an all time low with newcastle fans at the minute. most of you wanted Ashley out, he goes, now he's an even bigger villain than before.

my dream scenario would be for Ashley to stay, Dennis Wise to get the job and then win us a few cups. t'would be priceless.

Well you must not have been a fan for that long then because, not wanting to sound all NE5 but we've been in a lot worse shape than this.

This is however the lowest I have felt since we've been in the prem. I was not a huge Ashley supporter as my posts in the past have reflected but his statement is a very sorrowful one and I have certain sympathy for him, to feel unsafe about going along to cheer the team on is not a position as a NUFC fan I feel any pride in.

Outside of Ashley my concern is for the future, I don't share any optimism that we'll get this saviour to take over, the managerial position is untouchable atm and geniually may have a fight on our hands to maintain our PL status, the players looks totally disheartened right now.

Mike Ashley the scapegoat obviously because he made the decisions, bad or good, both goes for the same.

I believe that MA could still lead the train, but with the two D's gone... and King Kev back, not with a massive budget, but atleast with players he'd like and believe in. I think that alot of the problems occured when MA looked upon NUFC as a business hierarchy, and it doesn't work like that. He heard the fans roar, and he feels he have to step down. Fair enough if you ask me.

Mike Ashley the scapegoat obviously because he made the decisions, bad or good, both goes for the same.

I believe that MA could still lead the train, but with the two D's gone... and King Kev back, not with a massive budget, but atleast with players he'd like and believe in. I think that alot of the problems occured when MA looked upon NUFC as a business hierarchy, and it doesn't work like that. He heard the fans roar, and he feels he have to step down. Fair enough if you ask me.

I would agree with this.

To me though, the appointment of Llambias seems to have been a major blunder. Mort was good with the public and the press, then this guy comes in and the whole thing has spiralled out of control very quickly.

Sorry I dont buy all this Imo hes not selling to keep the fans happy hes selling to make a huge profit and it really wouldnt surprise me if this was the plan from the start, why hire Keegan? when its a fact that if he thinks things are wrong he will walk, its also a fact he wouldnt work in that sort of structure, and thats prob why the 'walkout' clause was in there. its obvious what would happen if Keegan was backed into a corner its also obvious what would happen if the fans thought that Keegan was wronged.

not enough players in when its been obvious were were short, no money spent on transfers, 3 years season tickets up front, merchandise, sky money etc, nice profit so far. As a matter of interest is there actually any proof that he actually paid £110 million off of the debt or is it just what hes said? even if he has if he gets 300mil for the club hes made over 50mil profit, not bad for a year.

and he even walks away seeming the victim of bad advise and because the fans want him to. Hes not a billionair because hes a nice guy

£50m profit? Is that after wages and overheads?

Even if you took all the signings of the last four years, spread their transfer fees over five years - which I'm sure most clubs wouldn't have gone for - and taken away what Ashley has received on players he hasn't personally paid for, the most we could possibly still owe would be under £25 million.