Mike Ashley confirms he wants to sell NUFC - see OP for full statement

Guest sicko2ndbest

Whelan says Ashley deserves flak

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan insists Newcastle counterpart Mike Ashley deserves the criticism he is receiving.

Ashley is attempting to sell Newcastle after Kevin Keegan's departure and a campaign against him by supporters.

Whelan said: "The fans up there eat, breathe and live for one thing, and that is Newcastle United.

"Unless you put your whole heart into it, are a 100% Geordie and are backing them, they will give you some stick. He has got it, and he deserves it."

Whelan added: "I know Mike Ashley quite well as I was running JJB when he was with Sports Direct, and he is a bit unusual.

"He is a very good retailer, but at managing a football club, no. Especially with him being a Tottenham supporter and then going up to Newcastle, a club that is a different kettle of fish to most in the land."

Whelan says Ashley deserves flak

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan insists Newcastle counterpart Mike Ashley deserves the criticism he is receiving.

Ashley is attempting to sell Newcastle after Kevin Keegan's departure and a campaign against him by supporters.

Whelan said: "The fans up there eat, breathe and live for one thing, and that is Newcastle United.

"Unless you put your whole heart into it, are a 100% Geordie and are backing them, they will give you some stick. He has got it, and he deserves it."

Whelan added: "I know Mike Ashley quite well as I was running JJB when he was with Sports Direct, and he is a bit unusual.

"He is a very good retailer, but at managing a football club, no. Especially with him being a Tottenham supporter and then going up to Newcastle, a club that is a different kettle of fish to most in the land."

They have a 'history'; something about Ashely making allegations concerning a price-fixing cartel and club shirts. Whelan's putting the boot in.

Hard to take Whelan seriously after knowing his previous with Ashley.

He has caused big problems for his main rivals, JJB Sports and JD Sports. His discounting formula means that "every time a Sports World opens near a JJB, the JJB gets killed", said one analyst.

It was Ashley who turned whistleblower to report his rivals to the Office of Fair Trading for fixing the price of replica football shirts. This eventually led to dawn raids and multimillion-pound fines. The Sports World boss acted after being summoned to the Cheshire home of David Hughes, the chairman of the now-defunct Allsports chain, in 2000 to discuss the pricing of a new Manchester United kit. It was, by all accounts, not an easy meeting. Another northern businessman there, Dave Whelan, the chairman of Wigan Athletic football club and the JJB chain, first mistook the casual Ashley for a gardener and then reportedly told him: "There's a club in the north son, and you're not part of it."

Team Manager and No 1 hero to Newcastle Utd fans walks out - hear nothing for days

A large number of fans chant for him to go and some banners are displayed around the ground - Letter of intention to sell is published 24 hours later

Something about his reaction time during those 2 incidents dont sit right with me.

Probably because he was told he'd be attacked which to be fair is embarrassing as fuck on us lot.

How can you be embarrassed by someone saying something about the fans? ???  "Manure fans will try to murder Fergie tomorrow", oh I bet they must be really embarrassed now! :lol:

You do realize that after these arab people buys the club, theres will not be a chance of threatening them to sell if they are assholes?

Some rich oil dude with too much money on his hand, i wouldnt dare.

And one by one, the pennies start to drop...

That Hitler video has one funny bit about McClaren, the rest was pretty unfunny IMO.

Thought it was fantastic satire, actually. Inspired. Very funny as well. Only thing that bothered me was the atrocious typos and spelling mistakes in the subtitles.

Is anyone else getting serious brain pain after reading all this bluster about take overs and what not?

I think a labotomy is the order of the day for me.

Anyone else?

it's a lobotomy that got me into this. i doubt another will get me out.