After the Ashley statement how do you feel?

Slim
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I hope he either sells up asap, or bows down to KK's demands at the last minute, sack Wise and rebuild bridges by brining Mort back.

I'm annoyed he doesn't feel safe attending football matches, but the mess he's made could have easily been avoided, and 99.9% of toon fans would be appalled if he was physically attacked.

Whatever happens, i honestly hope he remains a fan of the club, i know i've been sceptical of him for a while now, but it wasn't all lies, and he was trying to do it his way, he just made the biggest mistake he could make and is now paying for it.

I hope he either sells up asap, or bows down to KK's demands at the last minute, sack Wise and rebuild bridges by brining Mort back.

I'm annoyed he doesn't feel safe attending football matches, but the mess he's made could have easily been avoided, and 99.9% of toon fans would be appalled if he was physically attacked.

Whatever happens, i honestly hope he remains a fan of the club, i know i've been sceptical of him for a while now, but it wasn't all lies, and he was trying to do it his way, he just made the biggest mistake he could make and is now paying for it.

Pretty fair assessment I reckon. Don't think there's any chance Mort will come back mind, doesn't he have a family in London, hence only ever being here on an interim one year deal?

Late again joining the debate here, so forgive me if I'm just repeating what everyone else has said.

Personally I'm soft as clarts me and when I originally read the statement I just felt really sorry for him. Although I was cynical, I was always in the camp of wanted to be proved his ambitions matched our own, I hadn't at any point convicted him of treason against the toon.

I feel really sad that it's come to this and he's obviously got to the point where he feels he has been hounded out of the job.

Anyway moving on, things look bleaker than ever, I honestly can't see where the buyer will come from, if I was a betting man, I would not put it past a certain ex chairman trying to raise the finance to regain power and we'll be back to square one if that happens.

The immediate concern though is the manager's role, we are kind of screwed right now and we desperately need someone, just look at Saturday's performance as evidence of that.

At this moment in time I can honestly say I am as pessimistic as I've been about the club since it returned to the top flight. At the start of the season, I would have bet anything you like on us staying up, even with the lack of depth and the perma injuryed players we haqve, we still have the quality to expect not to have to even entertain the possibility of going down. Right now I would be delighted if we are still playing prem football in 09/10.

We desperately need something positive to happen to this football club, Ashley telling the world that he doesn't want to stick around and therefore making the manager's job even less desireable. Then painting a bad picture of the fans, is not positive in the least.

honestly I don't think any decent manager would like to take up the position unless another Abramovich comes.

manager's decision interfere by chairman or club owner ISN'T THAT UNCOMMON in football nowadays. it's not the system that makes the job notorious, but the fans and the club history.

now this statement simply outlines how ridiculous our fans are --- and i wonder if any manager would like to manage us now. no money to spend, huge amount of pressure from the impatience fans (check the manager's record since SBR yourself), not london based --- i simply don't have an idea how can we back on track.

I agree - the structure isn't so uncommon and if we take a step back and think for a moment, is almost certain to become more and more prevalent.

SKY money, and Roman Abramovich moved football clubs from the multi-millionaires to the billionaires. The seriously rich simply aren't going to put the investment of millions of pounds in the hands of one man - they do things by committee.

As has been said by many supporters of Ashley's attempt to implement "the Arsenal model" - his biggest mistake was choosing Keegan to succeed Allardyce. Simply the wrong man over the long term.

As much as I have supported Ashley, fierce KK supporter HTT made an assesment that I find difficult to counter:

In summing up Ashley once again I genuinely believe he bought the club with the best intentions which was to have some fun for him and his family, to be part of something special and of course, to also make money which I accept and wouldn't begrudge him. Along the way however a string of poor mistakes, bad advice, even worse judgment, lack of experience and true understanding of fans and pig pigheadedness has unraveled his master plan for the club and with it any confidence and support of the people that matter most in those plans (the fans and manager) and he only has himself to blame and sadly enough could have actually prevented it, certainly the potests.

As owner he is of course ultimately to blame, but if I was Mike Ashley I'd feel let down by Keegan and Llambias. He put too much faith in Keegan's understanding of the vision, and he put way too much trust in Llambias to run the club in his stead.

Oh, and unless I have missed something (and I know about the February interview) I don't believe Dennis Wise has acted inappropriately at all. Indeed, he has done exactly what he was hired to do. Which is why I believe when NUFC.com wails that "the whole Wise situation is ignored" - well, unless I've missed something, what exactly is that situation? What exactly did Wise do that demands his removal to placate the baying mob? Was it for doing the job he was hired to do, the description and parameters of which were obviously redefined sometime in August?

I genuiely felt a little sorry for Ashey after reading his statement but that soon faded, I have no doubt in my mind that he is a decent guy and I would not wish any harm on either him or his family.

He should though admit this has been a PR disaster only compounded by the fact the club put up a wall of silence.

The facts you cannot ignore are:

Ashley promised a WOW signing and stated money was there if required.

Dennis Wise was here to 'help' Keegan but obviously did not.

They did try to sell everyone in the transfer window and there has never been an explanation of why, given the business model Ashley is so proud of.

They have only just told us that he intended to spend £20 million a season, why have they left it this late, if they had done this at the beginning a few would have complained but would have accepted it.

Wise & Llambias are invisible, that is Ashley's fault, why hire them and not get rid when it was clear they can't do the job? Llambias especially is a joke and what has Wise done to justify his position?

And finally I find it highly hypocyrtical of Ashley to bang on about how he wanted to get rid of Barton when he hired Wise who has a volatile past as a thug.

All the drama of late could have been avoided if they had addressed the fans, they chose to ignore them and chose to run the club like a toy and that backfired on them badly.

So in answer to the original question I feel for Ashley as I do believe he is a good guy with good intentions but he blantantly ignored his fans and made some terrible decisions, so on his head it must rest.

Oh, and unless I have missed something (and I know about the February interview) I don't believe Dennis Wise has acted inappropriately at all. Indeed, he has done exactly what he was hired to do. Which is why I believe when NUFC.com wails that "the whole Wise situation is ignored" - well, unless I've missed something, what exactly is that situation? What exactly did Wise do that demands his removal to placate the baying mob? Was it for doing the job he was hired to do, the description and parameters of which were obviously redefined sometime in August?

I agree and I've said the same myself.  With the information we have there's nothing to suggest that Wise wasn't just doing the job that he was employed to do.  Some people had already made their minds up before he even joined the club though.

I genuiely felt a little sorry for Ashey after reading his statement but that soon faded, I have no doubt in my mind that he is a decent guy and I would not wish any harm on either him or his family.

He should though admit this has been a PR disaster only compounded by the fact the club put up a wall of silence.

They did try to sell everyone in the transfer window and there has never been an explanation of why, given the business model Ashley is so proud of.

They have only just told us that he intended to spend £20 million a season, why have they left it this late, if they had done this at the beginning a few would have complained but would have accepted it.

Wise & Llambias are invisible, that is Ashley's fault, why hire them and not get rid when it was clear they can't do the job? Llambias especially is a joke and what has Wise done to justify his position?

And finally I find it highly hypocyrtical of Ashley to bang on about how he wanted to get rid of Barton when he hired Wise who has a volatile past as a thug.

All the drama of late could have been avoided if they had addressed the fans, they chose to ignore them and chose to run the club like a toy and that backfired on them badly.

So in answer to the original question I feel for Ashley as I do believe he is a good guy with good intentions but he blantantly ignored his fans and made some terrible decisions, so on his head it must rest.

You state "The facts you cannot ignore are" and then proceed to give us a list made up mostly of media fuelled misinformation, assumptions and total bullshit.  Good job.  :clap:

- Ashley promising a WOW signing,

- every player for sale in the transfer window

- Ashley making any public statement at all about Joey Barton

There have been rumours about some of that but I haven't seen much of any substance - you have sources?

Also I don't think the £20 million is the amount he was prepared to spend on players I think it was the extent he was prepared to bankroll the club (ie how much he was prepared to accept as a trading loss each year).

You state "The facts you cannot ignore are" and then proceed to give us a list made up mostly of media fuelled misinformation, assumptions and total bullshit.  Good job.  :clap:

What!

1) He did state there would be a WOW signing.

Then he stated we only had a 12 Million budget (so much for the wow signing).

Then we spent 1 million (net).

2) He did state that Keegan had final say on transfers

Then the "board" stated that was never the case and never had been.

Mike, dont let the door slam you in the ass.......

Ive read Mikes statement, and weve all seen the media circus but were talking about a bloke whos a self made billionaire, he didnt get there by being daft. In my opinion this is his first test as NUFC owner and hes bottled it. Its as plain and simple as that, everybody knows we are demanding fans, we want a certain kind of football and most of all we want a trophy. Keegan was and is the messiah. Mike has dropped a massive bollock by undermining Keegan in transfer dealings, and under estimating the mans status in Newcastle, all he has to do is hold his hands up, give King Kev total control of transfer dealings on his £20 mill budget, and either show Wise and co. the door or make them answerable to Keegan.

Then Im sure the vast majority of the fans would have alot more respect for him and welcome him back into the club. All this talk about threats to his family and the rest of it is a load of shite. Fetch King Kev back and all is forgiven...you fat bastard.

What!

Seriously, I would hate to pull you up on stating bollocks as fact. Do you have any quotes to back that up.

What!

Seriously, I would hate to pull you up on stating bollocks as fact. Do you have any quotes to back that up.

although i can't actually remember ashley "banging on about" it, should the rumour about ashley pushing the sale of barton be true then this is a very good point indeed

Less sympathy than ever. And no, I do not support him.

The statement is a manipulative piece of public relations that is tailored to induce sympathy. There's nothing there that is from the heart.  It's just another attempt to tarnish Keegan in the eyes of the public. All this rubbish about NUFC not being able to buy Shevchenkos and the like. That's nothing but a bit of innuendo to cast Keegan as some kind of delusional freak. Buying players is not the issue here. It's selling players out from underneath the manager that is the problem.

Ashley's attempt here to recast the issue is the height of cynicism and manipulation. I would love it if the club were to emulate Arsenal and buy great young players at great prices. But no one is selling players out from underneath Wenger.

How do I feel?

I'm still catching up on all this. I was a very long way away when Keegan resigned, in a place where I could only get online once in a blue moon, with the world's slowest connection and a jumbled-up foreign keyboard. Just got back to "civilisation" yesterday.

But I'm basically angry. Angry with just about everyone. Angry with Ashley for getting the strategy right but the tactics completely wrong. Angry with Keegan for walking. Angry with the press for fanning the flames. Angry with the self-righteous idiots who demonstrated.

While I've been on a 16-day holiday, we've gone from what looked like a decent if not spectacular transfer window to a completely disastrous situation. And as far as I can see, just about everyone except the players are to blame.

sums my feelings up pretty much as well :clap:

How do I feel?

I'm still catching up on all this. I was a very long way away when Keegan resigned, in a place where I could only get online once in a blue moon, with the world's slowest connection and a jumbled-up foreign keyboard. Just got back to "civilisation" yesterday.

But I'm basically angry. Angry with just about everyone. Angry with Ashley for getting the strategy right but the tactics completely wrong. Angry with Keegan for walking. Angry with the press for fanning the flames. Angry with the self-righteous idiots who demonstrated.

While I've been on a 16-day holiday, we've gone from what looked like a decent if not spectacular transfer window to a completely disastrous situation. And as far as I can see, just about everyone except the players are to blame.

sums my feelings up pretty much as well :clap:

yeah me too, pretty much on the nose with that...

Why can't people understand the £20m statement? This is a good thing, more than most other club owners have invested.

If Ashley owned the club for 10 years, he would have personally lost £200m pounds. How can anybody say that was not enough?

This doesn't mean that we only have a transfer budget of £20m, it means that this is the net spend for the club as a whole. A club like Newcastle United with its high tunrover/gates etc. should at least be able to break even every year, however that may just be a dream until we get back into Europe.

The Glaziers put significantly less into Man Utd every year i.e. none. There are only two other clubs in the league that could possibly match that level of sustained losses.

Why can't people understand the £20m statement? This is a good thing, more than most other club owners have invested.

If Ashley owned the club for 10 years, he would have personally lost £200m pounds. How can anybody say that was not enough?

This doesn't mean that we only have a transfer budget of £20m, it means that this is the net spend for the club as a whole. A club like Newcastle United with its high tunrover/gates etc. should at least be able to break even every year, however that may just be a dream until we get back into Europe.

The Glaziers put significantly less into Man Utd every year i.e. none. There are only two other clubs in the league that could possibly match that level of sustained losses.

i know what you're saying but unless fans can see tangible evidence of ANY money being invested in the squad then it's all pie in the sky bollocks

no-one has seen any evidence of that from ashley really have they? 

This article hits the nail on the head for me.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle/3676092.Ashley___s_words_too_late_to_appease_fans/

HAVING digested Mike Ashley’s emotive Sunday night statement, the over-riding opinion of most Newcastle supporters appears to be: “Too little, too late”.

Why has it taken the biggest set of supporter demonstrations for more than three decades to force the Magpies owner to end his selfimposed media blackout and attempt to outline his vision for taking the club forward?

And why, in more than 1,600 carefully-constructed words, has he still failed to address the one burning issue that continues to make his position untenable in the eyes of the Geordie masses?

Why has he backed former Swindon manager Dennis Wise ahead of two-time European Footballer of the Year Kevin Keegan, and why does he feel his London-based cabal of friends are the best people to run Newcastle?

Unless he addresses those two issues, his attempts to portray himself as the saviour of a club that might otherwise have gone to the wall will count for nothing.

Even as they stuff their “Cockney Mafia” T-shirts into the bottom of their clothes drawer, most fans would be willing to concede that Ashley has done some good in his 16 months at the helm.

He has addressed a debt that was rapidly getting out of hand, signed two or three young players who appear to have potential and, lest we forget, generated immense goodwill with his appointment of Kevin Keegan in January.

But in the space of eight months, he has lost that goodwill forever. He has lost it because he has displayed a blind faith in a group of associates who are simply not qualified to carry out the job they are being asked to perform.

There is nothing inherently wrong with a scouting and recruitment system that divides labour between a series of highly-trained specialists, although for the process to have worked, Keegan needed to be aware of it from the moment he was appointed.

But there is something wrong when that system stands or falls on the judgement of Wise, someone whose previous scouting experience stretched to the recruitment of a couple of League One midfielders for Leeds United, and Jimenez, a former Chelsea doorman whose only business experience appears to lie in the field of property development.

While other Premier League clubs were staking their futures on the expertise of specialists, Newcastle were displaying blind faith in a group of Ashley’s friends.

When those friends alienated Keegan, the one figure Magpies supporters trusted implicitly, the ensuing fall-out was always going to make it all but impossible for the current regime to remain.

Ashley had to choose which way he was going to jump and, as Friday night’s failed negotiations proved, he chose Wise and Jimenez over Keegan.

The club’s supporters, as they were always bound to, chose differently.

And for all the club’s attempts to portray Keegan as a misguided romanticist who hadn’t watched a game of football in three years, and the at least partially valid argument that Newcastle’s fans have displayed unjustified loyalty to a serial quitter, there are rational reasons to suggest they were right to side with their idol.

For all his faults, Keegan was not naïve enough to assume that Newcastle would be in the market for a Thierry Henry or a Ronaldinho.

And while Ashley might have claimed in his statement that the fans wanted “huge amounts spent in the transfer market so they can compete at the top table of European football now”, those words merely perpetuate a well-worn myth that supporters at St James’ Park are completely detached from reality.

Keegan didn’t want Henry or Ronaldinho, he wanted Carlos Cuellar, Stephen Warnock and Sami Hyypia.

The club’s supporters didn’t demand miracles, they merely expected that their manager’s demands would be met to the best degree possible.

Instead, Wise and Jimenez ploughed their own furrow and signed a striker and an attacking midfielder on transfer deadline day, ignoring the obvious gaps at centre-half and full-back that will now plague Newcastle for the whole of the first half of the season.

Crucially, they also displayed a staggering indifference to the supporters’ sensibilities by failing to explain their decisions.

Ashley and his cohorts have erected a wall of silence that has placed an implacable barrier between themselves and the fans.

That bred suspicion then contempt, as supporters bridled against a regime based more than 300 miles away that appeared utterly indifferent to their fears and concerns.

When those fears began to be realised, further silence meant supporters lost any semblance of faith in the people running their club.

In the business world, Ashley’s shunning of publicity has been interpreted as a sign of strength. But in the mediafuelled world of football, it has undoubtedly created a position of weakness.

His relationship with Newcastle supporters has already passed the point of no return

"Why has he backed former Swindon manager Dennis Wise ahead of two-time European Footballer of the Year Kevin Keegan, and why does he feel his London-based cabal of friends are the best people to run Newcastle?"

stopped reading after this, might as well have said:

"Why has he backed former comprehensive school 50m backstroke swimming failure Dennis Wise ahead of two-time European Footballer of the Year Kevin Keegan, and why does he feel his London-based cabal of friends are the best people to run Newcastle?"

i know what you're saying but unless fans can see tangible evidence of ANY money being invested in the squad then it's all pie in the sky bollocks

no-one has seen any evidence of that from ashley really have they? 

Exactly. I'm really surprised that there are any people at all who still believe anything Ashley says. He's a proven liar and yet we're supposed to take this statement as some sort of truth from the heart.

All he's done is try to get sympathy for himself and is blaming everybody for the current problems, except where most of the blame actually lies....Himself.

Guest black n white

Last night, Northumbria Police said they had no plans to attend the meeting at the Tyneside Irish Centre in Gallowgate, Newcastle, at 7.30pm.

They also confirmed that they did not warn Ashley not to attend matches with his children, as had been reported.

more lies

A lot of what Ashley say's has proven to be lies (Keegan has final say over wise then the board saying this was never the case and Keegan knew it ect).

But now a lot of people are willing to believe anything he says over Keegan who we have no reason not to believe.

Unbelivable!!